Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-20-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everybody,

here is my Triumph Tiger build from the reissued Revell Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 kit in 2004.
      The kit is larger than 1/8 scale, must be 1/7 or so. It is a kit from the late sixties
      or seventies.
      An orgy in chrome- tank , engine-everything !

Excuse the first poor quality photos , when I build the bike I only had a 1.2mp camera.

Revell Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 must have used a custom bike to get their model from. The shape of the tank
      is wrong and also the seat. Infact there were more version of the bike: a ī60 ties Custom bike and two versions of a bare bones drag bike.
      Also a trike was issued.

I corrected the too narrow shape of the seat with a triangular insert of plastic sheet. I used the Italeri Triumph 350 Military bike kit as an orientation.

On the left is the Revell Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 seat and on the right the Italeri seat.

Here the corrected seat.

The wheels were respoked with 0.5mm silver wire. Now I use insect pins and brass tube for the spoke ends.

The cylinder fins were build from scratch. Thankfully Mr. Kinichi Karube from
      KIMSHOUSE
      sent me his drawings for the cylinder fins. I printed them on self adesive paper and put that on a sheet of 0.4mm aluminium.
      Then I cut out the seperate fins.

The shape of the tank- which is too short was also corrected according to Mr. Karubes build.

Here is a mockup during construction:

Now on with better quality pictures of the finished model:

From the left:

From the right:

Details of the engine, the exhaust pipes were bent from solid 5mm alu rod!

Engine covers shot with Alclad Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 chrome.

The rear wheel. New struts for the fender made of 1,2mm steel rod with flattened ends.
      Brake linkage mad of silver wire and aluminium sheet.
      The seatīs springs also from silver wire.

The right side of the engine. Also shot with Alclad Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 chorme. Self made LUCAS battery sticker.
      The seat was covered with thin leather and finished off with rivets.

I printed out photoreduced copies of real instrument dials.
      The shape of the Lamp housing is also wrong, but I noticed it too late. It looks more like an antīs head.
      New handlebars were bent from 3 mm polished alu rod.
      I wanted to make a new tank rack by soldering silver wire.
      This attempt failed and I used the kitīs part.

Hope you like it.

Uli
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Beautiful work there Uli. The extra effort you've put in has most certainly paid off. If you took photos like Gerald Wingrove did, with the bike in the foreground and someone standing in the background at the right distance, I definitely would not know it was a model.
    Ive been thinking about getting one of these kits, and you have now convinced me to get it. Thankyou Uli
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You hope I like it!?!? I love it!!!! You really did it up nicely. Absolutely first rate.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. I love these classic British Bikes, looking at the first pic it doesn't look like you had a great deal to work with ? But you've built a work of art.

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Lutz-Bikes's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Lutz
    Hi Uli;

Great Work and Detailing !!
    Like those old Bikes very much.
    Cheers Lutz
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. crawler07's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    rick
    Thats awesome!! Makes me want to work on my 1:1 Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 1978 triumph...
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Nice work on a real challenging kit.An update or retooling is needed for a really good stock bike to be built.Here is my build of the chopper kit...
    Swanny's Models - M/C STUFF - ENGINE WORK,FORKS AND A RAIL.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krow113 View Post
    Nice work on a real challenging kit.An update or retooling is needed for a really good stock bike to be built.Here is my build of the chopper kit...
    Swanny's Models - M/C STUFF - ENGINE WORK,FORKS AND A RAIL.
    Hello all,
    thanks for the kind words.
    @krow113: I also have the Custom bike and the two versions of the drag bikes in my pile of kits.
    I started to replicate this bike:

Triumph Salt Ghost

The project so far:

The tank, engine and exhaust pipes during construction:

The cylinder heads are a later year model and had to be altered.

The carbs- dechromed an some details added:

There is no progress at the moment because of the lack of a sufficient chain for the bike.

More to come

Uli
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Pguy _ That is a coool bike ,I wonder how it did on the salt.... Check the oil pump .it has been reversed and a small tank has taken the place of the generator.I think builds like that are needed with a kit like this to help hide and replace the inaccurate parts. Please keep posting on this . P/e chains are available from Hiroboy .Here is a 1/12 chain on my 1/9 Bobber:

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    Is the 1/12 scale chain ok for this scale?
    The Triumph is more 1/7 scale than 1/8 scale.
    I know there is a chain for 1/9 scale bikes from Cosmos Factory.
    I tried to order one, but with no success- no reply from Cosmo--

Uli
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    ...the pic says it all. The chain is a focal point on the model. This was Hiroboy p/n p-941. I rolled he dice as the kit chain ,a separate piece , was crap.These Triumph kits the chain is molded to the sprockets ,in my opinion its not worth the effort ,you may feel different. In my wip Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 I'm gonna do the best I can to paint and weather the kit parts .I drilled the sprocket and brake stop with lightening holes and cut the front sprocket loose so I can put some 'sag' in the chain. We need to lobby the p/e chain guys for a set of 1/8 -1/9 chains. My Bobber '47 took 3 top honors at the local IPMS Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 show ,including BIS , this year so I'm happy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi, the Detail-up chain kit that is made for Tamiya Triumph Tiger Revell 1/8 's Honda RC166 is oversize for 1/12 scale. It looks about right for small 1/9 chain. The chain kit is available on its own, and comes with sprockets, but is a bit expensive. The kit comes with about an inch more chain than the Honda needs, and the included jigs make assembly doable. The plastic link chain that came with some late issue Protar kits (1/9) appears to be a larger scale too, but these kits are gold now.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Joe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Don't forget the 1/6 scale guys too. There's not a heck of a lot available for detail and some nice pe chains (and maybe belt drive parts) would be great...
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    I found something for 1/6 scale bikes:

http://www.acustion.com

Go to the left menue and to "Motorcycle parts" ,
    then scroll down and youīll find a generic chain set in either 1/6 oder 1/12 scale.

Uli
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Uli I went to see the chain you mention in the link .I couldnt figger out how to order ,I have ordered all over the world but I am a little skeptical of this site- no cart or way to get things.
    As far as the chain it looks like a major pita . It seems the pins are to be cut by the buyer and then assy is as hard as possible. The chains I mention are easy and available.I will try again but I am thinkin its too much.
    yeah I tried again but I guess you gotta email the guy or call him ,the whole site is in pidgin english as well. The chain set goes from 1/12 - 1/6 which is the same as the one from hiroboy. I ordered from them, twice ,ppal, with absolutely no trouble ,quick delivery ,well packaged . I have also ordered and waiting for some items I got off a link in the 1/6 Hardware thread on this forum.
    Something to be said for that kind of customer satisfaction.
    I found that the chain is a focal point ,and if well done, no-one gives a rats a$$ what scale it was intended for!!
    Last edited by krow113; 12-20-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updating
    QUOTE QUOTE #15