Close

Want to build a scale Motorcycle
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Want to build a scale Motorcycle Want to build a scale Motorcycle Want to build a scale Motorcycle Want to build a scale Motorcycle Want to build a scale Motorcycle
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-11-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

In terms of modeling, I've built nothing but classic cars my entire life and am now starting to think I might want to try something else. The only motorcycle I ever built was my Harley Knucklehead Tribute bike in 1:1 Want to build a scale Motorcycle scale (yes it runs). Now I want to try something that I can do on a model bench.

When it comes to classic car kits, the Pocher was just about the top of the heap. Is there a "Pocher" of motorcycle kits? I'm not opposed to scratch building pieces and parts, but I'm not looking for a year-long project. Just a nice 3 - 4 month build before I start my next car.

Thanks.

Andy.

P.S. Here's a few shots of "Betty"

Build Photos

Want to build a scale Motorcycle-01-jpg  Want to build a scale Motorcycle-02-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    How about a Henderson?

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I have no doubt that TDR Want to build a scale Motorcycle could produce a killer 1/6th kit...the biggest problem would be the wire wheels.....trying to cast them in resin Want to build a scale Motorcycle would be sheer folly.
    However the rim and hub could be cast in resin Want to build a scale Motorcycle , metal or supplied in RP Want to build a scale Motorcycle form with pre dimpled holes indicated. The builder would then have to lace the wheels with wire.......would this put too many of you guys off?
    Having rims machined and hand laced by a pro-builder to include in a kit would be quite expensive.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Any of the machines mentioned above would blow the moths out of my wallet, even better if the engine /tranny/ primary lump were available on its own. My vote for wheels would be machined rims and hubs, with spoking material, jig, and instructions. I'd think that once a person took on a kit as complex as these would necessarily be, spoking wheels would be more of an attraction than a put off. Cooling fins at this scale would have to be proportioned to look right, This could either really push the limits of RP Want to build a scale Motorcycle , or be done Dagwood sandwich fashion, which others have done well with.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Machining might not be that expensive. I just had some machining done by a guy with CNC in his garage. I'm really pleased with his work. We will definitely work together again. I saved money shipping a 27 pound slab of Aluminum to California and back. If someone can come up with a CAD drawing for a rim and hub, I'll ask him for a quote.

BTW- I met a guy at a recent show who owns 2 Indians and a Henderson with inline 4s. He lives close by. If this project goes ahead, I could try to contact him and get photos/measurements. He seems like a really nice guy. I did ask if he has an inline-4 disassembled for pics/measurements. He does; a Henderson.

I think resin Want to build a scale Motorcycle would be better for the engine. The surface finish on RP Want to build a scale Motorcycle is just too rough.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I would love to be able to lace my own wheels. And how about an inlin 4 AND and 45degree v-twin?
    When I was young I used to say "When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"

I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I'm not a scooter guy but I'm enjoying this discussion and would like to see something come to fruition. In addition to Lee's guy, there's also Chris Garcia (who is a member of this site) and he makes beautiful scale wire wheels. I have a set in 8th that will be going on a deuce build.

I've sent a suggestion to Don via Email.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortley View Post
    Any of the machines mentioned above would blow the moths out of my wallet, even better if the engine /tranny/ primary lump were available on its own. My vote for wheels would be machined rims and hubs, with spoking material, jig, and instructions. I'd think that once a person took on a kit as complex as these would necessarily be, spoking wheels would be more of an attraction than a put off. Cooling fins at this scale would have to be proportioned to look right, This could either really push the limits of RP Want to build a scale Motorcycle , or be done Dagwood sandwich fashion, which others have done well with.
    My thinking on the cylinder fins would (if within Tim's homemade milling machines capabilities) be cut from aluminum stock with spacers in between the fins. The other option would be to P.E. them. Either way, it would produce a great looking cylinder.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not a scooter guy but I'm enjoying this discussion and would like to see something come to fruition. In addition to Lee's guy, there's also Chris Garcia (who is a member of this site) and he makes beautiful scale wire wheels. I have a set in 8th that will be going on a deuce build.

I've sent a suggestion to Don via Email.
    Just checked Rick...no E yet.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...bber-47-a.html
    I conservatively estimated $1000.00 to ,make the two wheels here.
    This is all very well for a discussion ,however the projected sales of a 1/6 -1/8 m/c kit would be too dismal for a mainstream manufacturer to get involved with. Check the 1,2,3 models for me thread on here ,there are a few 1/6 kits there.
    I am toying with the idea for some Harley resin Want to build a scale Motorcycle castings ,but I wasn't planning my retirement around it.The r&d and castings would be expensive and sales would be not enough to warrant large scale production, I would do it to have a nice model for myself more than any thing else.
    Some of the earlier bikes mentioned here would be almost enough to send a guy to the funny farm tryna make all the tiny details.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    A lot of work for sure...but just look at how much time and effort TDR Want to build a scale Motorcycle has put into the 427 Roadster. We don't look at projects solely to make money although it does keep the lights on.

We enjoy what we are doing and when we decide to do a project we would do it even if we didn't expect to sell many of them.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Lee in Texas's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    My thinking on the cylinder fins would (if within Tim's homemade milling machines capabilities) be cut from aluminum stock with spacers in between the fins. The other option would be to P.E. them. Either way, it would produce a great looking cylinder.
    Stacked styrene Want to build a scale Motorcycle would work, it just needs to be done with care and patience. I just got a 1/6 Indian diecast in the mail today. The fins look like they're about .030" thick, but not deep enough; a limitation of injection molding. It looks toy-like. I think I'll just use it and photos of the real one as a guide to making a new engine.

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    One way to make cylinders. Here are a couple of pictures showing how I made cylinders for the 1/15th scale H-13D Franklin engine. The motorcycle cylinders would be made in the same method. At 1/8th scale in aluminum they would be much easier to make than these.

Here are the various stages of being cut.

Leave the turning attached to the parent rod for holing in milling machine.

This shows milling the channels for the push rod tubes.

This will give you a sense of scale with the cylinders in place.

Hope this helps with your process.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 04-10-11 at 08:02 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Ken - this is awsome stuff. I learn a lot from your pictures.

I talked to the Board Track Racer owner (finally). He was out at Barret Jackson last week and gets home next weekend so we should be able to connect in early May. Sorry for the delay - you just can't count on these rich people.

Andy.

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy, Glad to hear you are learning from the pictures. I try to keep learning myself.
    Thanks for the update. We will be in California until May 4th visiting with the kids and their new baby. Will connect when we get back.

In the final stages of the book, hoping to get the manuscript to the publisher this month before we head to California.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Keep me posted Ken. Are you going to set up a table and sell signed copies of the book at Glenmoor. You absolutely should set up your book table right next to the scale model display. It would stand out as something different and VERY cool. People would love it and buy it.

Andy.

QUOTE QUOTE #31