Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/6 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-01-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

Hi all,

New member here!

I'm building a 1/6th scale version of Arnie's bike from the film Terminator 2 and what a journey! I've included a shot of the bike.

The key thing that will distinguish my build from the others out there is the tires. I'm going to try and replicate the tire tread of the bike used in the film, something most modelers who have attempted this kind of build overlook.

Initially I thought "model the tires in CAD and 3D print them". I even built CAD models of the front and rear tires, see picture attached. Now, after finding out more about the cost/capability aspects of 3D printing I'm thinking maybe machine the tires myself and get the tread and sidewall details engraved or etched in some way.

Any advice on these points would be greatly appreciated. Just don't tell me I'm mad for attempting it!

Build Photos

T2 Harley Fatboy-terminator-2-fatboy-motorcycle-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-2015-09-19-09-51-11-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've never done this but the way I have seen others achieve it is to machine the tire without treads in plastic, brass or other suitable material, then make the treads separately on a flat plastic sheet with the right thickness. This will then be glued to the machined tire.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks for the tip. I've got the tread patterns rolled out flat in my 3d modelling software so the best thing to do would be to get it laser cut out of 0.5mm styrene T2 Harley Fatboy then as you say bend it onto a blank of a tire. The tricky part is that the curves on a motorcycle tire are more extreme than on a car tire. Out of interest, here are some shots of some 3d prints that were done on a test basis. The black one has a higher resolution than the orange one.

Also, re the sidewall lettering, any tips on how to photo-etch these would be greatly appreciated.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-front-tyre-1-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-2015-10-21-10-13-09-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    This looks like a cool project! Looks like you're using FDM (also known as FFF) 3D printing, which uses an extruded bead of plastic to build up the parts layer by layer. You can usually get much higher resolution by using an SLA or MJP printer, on the order of 16 microns per layer. I have used a website called Quickparts.com in the past for some work projects and they can print using a lot of different types of printers, and if you already have the 3D CAD model, you can get an instant online quote. Might be worth checking out to see how the cost compares to laser-cutting the tread and etching the side-wall details. I would definitely check with someone there to make sure you'll get the detail you're looking for.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks, I'll check out the quickparts link.

Believe it or not these were printed using SLA print technology. With the orange one, the guy's printer was on the Fritz. with the other, it's pretty good, about 70 microns on the x and y axis. Ideally I'd print it in two halves, with the tire lying flat, thereby creating its own support without the need to build one. Problem is, as you can see from this screenshot, most of the high res printers don't have the print space to be able to lay a 105mm diameter down flat so they have to print it standing upright.

This leads to a ton of layers, moreso than if it was lying flat.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-30-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    You can split the design into smaller parts, maybe in 4 parts: split the tire first in half then each part again in half. That should bring it in the footprint of the 3D printer.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I agree. BTW, My Avatar is the car from Deathproof, which I built a few years back, using an ERTL 1/18th scale diecast as the base for a modification that took me two and a half years to complete. I think it's the most accurate version of the car out there. Here's some shots of it.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010398-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010400-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010401-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010402-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010404-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010405-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010406-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-p1010407-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Cylinder fins. How do people paint these? I'm a bit reluctant to try brush-painting them. Because the base semi-gloss black is enamel T2 Harley Fatboy , I could use acrylic T2 Harley Fatboy paints and clean up afterwards without messing with the base coat T2 Harley Fatboy .

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Something I have been trying to work out for the FBLo kit. I think a reversal may work, spray the silver then the black. Either way its a tricky bit of work. Masking T2 Harley Fatboy would be a huge undertaking, top notch airbrush T2 Harley Fatboy work may do the job.
    What kit are you using for this?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I've got the rare Tamiya T2 Harley Fatboy FLSTF fatboy, which is more screen accurate than the FBLo. Construction-wise, the cylinders come in two halves, rather than the individual fin set-up with the FBLO so I have a join line to contend with as well. That's been sorted with filling and sanding T2 Harley Fatboy .

One idea that has occurred to me is using an artist's sponge brush that is wide enough to swipe across multiple fins at once.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Yes that is the correct kit.The 2 kits/bikes (fblo-flstf) are completely different bikes .
    You would hafto watch the movie to see if there is any mods to the bike. The only things I can see from your pic that are not stock are the
    highway pegs and the SuperTrapp slip on mufflers.

Use the acrylics T2 Harley Fatboy to try the swipe. You can wash them off if need be. Maybe roll the cylinder assy on a pad?
    Last edited by krow113; 11-11-15 at 09:10 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks. I knew about the SuperTrapp muffler but not the highway pegs.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    Regarding the cylinder fins, like krow113 said, paint silver 1st then the black and while the paint is still wet, you can use a toothpick with a bit of cotton and alcohol T2 Harley Fatboy on the tip and wipe out the black paint from the fin edges. It require patience but is doable.

Regards,
    DanP
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Too late! I've already painted my cylinders black so will need to do some very careful masking T2 Harley Fatboy . If I take my time, I think I'll be okay.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Decided to bite the bullet and hand-paint the cylinder fins. I used Citadel Mithril Silver, thinned with Tamiya T2 Harley Fatboy thinners, noting that the base black was an enamel T2 Harley Fatboy . Tidy up was done with acetone nail polish remover which didn't damage the satin black base. Any tips on shading black would be appreciated. So far I've been using a Citadel acrylic T2 Harley Fatboy Chaos Black, brushing it roughly onto the Satin Black to "fade" the satin black. I was lucky enough to see a FLSTF in the "flesh" recently and the black does tend to look like how I've painted it.

I also replaced the push-rods that came with the kit using plastic tube, painted gloss black, then with alclad T2 Harley Fatboy chrome.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0001-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15