Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/6 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-01-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

Hi all,

New member here!

I'm building a 1/6th scale version of Arnie's bike from the film Terminator 2 and what a journey! I've included a shot of the bike.

The key thing that will distinguish my build from the others out there is the tires. I'm going to try and replicate the tire tread of the bike used in the film, something most modelers who have attempted this kind of build overlook.

Initially I thought "model the tires in CAD and 3D print them". I even built CAD models of the front and rear tires, see picture attached. Now, after finding out more about the cost/capability aspects of 3D printing I'm thinking maybe machine the tires myself and get the tread and sidewall details engraved or etched in some way.

Any advice on these points would be greatly appreciated. Just don't tell me I'm mad for attempting it!

T2 Harley Fatboy

Build Photos

T2 Harley Fatboy-terminator-2-fatboy-motorcycle-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-2015-09-19-09-51-11-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Check out this thread by Bills69camaro about building his tires. He had a pretty interesting idea to cut out the tread shapes in styrene T2 Harley Fatboy and glue them to a thin sheet that he then wrapped around a tire blank he machined. Pretty tedious, but a lot cheaper than 3D printing!
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...ighlight=tires

You may have to adapt it a little to get something you could wrap around a curved motorcycle tire, but worth checking out anyway.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    T2 Harley Fatboy
    Thanks for the link. I think I'd go nuts cutting out all that tread by hand. I've decided to go back to the 3d printing idea. The guy I was talking to a year ago now has a better machine which promises finer detail and less noticeable "layering" on the finished product. Here's a screen shot of the components for the front tire. I designed the items using Rhino software.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-33-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 01-23-17 at 01:38 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Hey Krow113, Re the terminal on the oil pressure sensor, what does the wire lead
    connect to?

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Wire lead from the oil pressure guage goes over to the seat post then up to the idiot light on the dash , I think its the red one on the left of the dash panel. The wire is black.
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    Go ahead with 3D printing option. You will not regret it. The online services have very good quality results at reasonable prices. It is so good that there is no need to post finishing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    T2 Harley Fatboy
    Sorry for the long time between posts. All I can say is this stuff takes time to do properly. Here are the 3D printed tires, primed.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-20171126_150934-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-20171126_150916-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #52