Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/6 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-01-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

Hi all,

New member here!

I'm building a 1/6th scale version of Arnie's bike from the film Terminator 2 and what a journey! I've included a shot of the bike.

The key thing that will distinguish my build from the others out there is the tires. I'm going to try and replicate the tire tread of the bike used in the film, something most modelers who have attempted this kind of build overlook.

Initially I thought "model the tires in CAD and 3D print them". I even built CAD models of the front and rear tires, see picture attached. Now, after finding out more about the cost/capability aspects of 3D printing I'm thinking maybe machine the tires myself and get the tread and sidewall details engraved or etched in some way.

Any advice on these points would be greatly appreciated. Just don't tell me I'm mad for attempting it!

T2 Harley Fatboy

Build Photos

T2 Harley Fatboy-terminator-2-fatboy-motorcycle-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-2015-09-19-09-51-11-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Good show.
    The oil line hoses exit horizontally from 90 degree fittings in the tank underside. Harley pre-forms them to shape.
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks, and thanks for hanging in there with this build. The oil hosing config was a nightmare to research and even now I would only rate my effort as an approximation. Tell me, before I attach the last of the hosing, are the hoses all tied together with a plastic tie?

Also I still haven't forgotten the Phillips head screws on the wing mirrors and will probably scoop the current ones out and replace them!

One last thing, there's some tubing on top of the front cylinder. What does it do? See photo with red circled area attached.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-hd_arnold3-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 12-15-16 at 12:57 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi, The tube looks like the crossover to connect the right and left halves of the gas tank - the "fat bobs". If you are really going for it, one gas cap is a dummy and should not unscrew. Very nice build.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    The 'third thing ' as you call it a few posts ago, is the rubber cover for the clutch cable adjustment parts.

Oil lines should be easy to research , try getting into Custom Chromes catalogue or any other custom part manufacturer.
    The lines could be secured with a tie wrap but , like I said they are pre-formed to shape with tight radius corners and clamped with one-time crimp bands.Use some stiff ,bendable wire inside your oil lines and that will help forming , otherwise you are at the mercy of the tubings resistance to forming.

The mirror screws could have chrome caps on them, never seen it but they are available.

The tube under is a crossover , usually 3/8" black rubber tube.. I myself have never seen a 'dummy cap' on any Harley , ever , more correctly the left hand tank has a left hand threaded cap , the right hand is standard thread.
    Keep going!
    Last edited by krow113; 12-15-16 at 07:36 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks for the helpful information. Here are some shots involving tubing corrections.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0178-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0179-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0166-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0180-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Yaya! use the internal wire to help form.
    Here is my chopper oil tank, it is a one off T2 Harley Fatboy stainless custom , see how the spigots come out the bottom? Softail tanks are similar , but not so tight to the bottom of the tank.
    Also in plan view counting from the outside to the inside of the bike, the lines are : Feed , Return , Breather. So the line to the aircleaner should be the inner most.

Last edited by krow113; 12-16-16 at 12:14 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    The exhaust system deserved its own post, I thought.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0183-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0184-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0185-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks for the shots!

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 12-16-16 at 12:20 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Can someone tell me what this thing is so I can research it on the internet.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-engine-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi KWM, That looks like the oil pressure sensor, which turns off the idiot light when all is well. Cheers.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Are you on to RB Motion yet?

Good guy , good service. He has all of the rubber caps etc that are helpful in detailing the electrical parts on kits like this.

The oil pressure sender has a terminal on top , a 10 - 32 nut , with one wire coming off. The rubber cap is hanging off crooked in your pic.

If you make one , make two , the other with two terminals for the rear brake switch. That is visible right behind the tranny ion your pic.
    |The front brake switch is integral with the lever perch.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I see what you mean about RB Motion. Amazing stuff!

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Hey krow113, I see what you mean about the second one behind the transmission unit. More detail that Tamiya T2 Harley Fatboy missed out on but hey, I have to get it as right as possible. Thanks.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Easy to determine the missing electrical detail.
    It stops at the component!
    That is to say the components are all there, but any wiring , looming , clips , mounts ,etc , or switches related to that component, are not.
    I have the parts catalogues for the year of this Harley , so any inquiries can be addressed.
    I am working on the Fat Boy Lo in the 1/6 series , but no catalogues or reference pics, and I never worked on Twinkies so its a little tougher.
    Some things like the handlebar looms , brake switches etc are the same , but this year bike has fuel injection and all the engine , exhaust oxygen sensors etc
    are not there.
    I wired Harleys for a living, I'm sure I can answer your questions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #46