Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/6 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-01-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Build in Progress

Hi all,

New member here!

I'm building a 1/6th scale version of Arnie's bike from the film Terminator 2 and what a journey! I've included a shot of the bike.

The key thing that will distinguish my build from the others out there is the tires. I'm going to try and replicate the tire tread of the bike used in the film, something most modelers who have attempted this kind of build overlook.

Initially I thought "model the tires in CAD and 3D print them". I even built CAD models of the front and rear tires, see picture attached. Now, after finding out more about the cost/capability aspects of 3D printing I'm thinking maybe machine the tires myself and get the tread and sidewall details engraved or etched in some way.

Any advice on these points would be greatly appreciated. Just don't tell me I'm mad for attempting it!

T2 Harley Fatboy

Build Photos

T2 Harley Fatboy-terminator-2-fatboy-motorcycle-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-screenshot-2015-09-19-09-51-11-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    progress?
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Apologies for the lack of updates. Here's the latest work in progress T2 Harley Fatboy . I struck an issue with the air filter sticker which has "eighty cubic inches" and "fat boy" etched in it. That's why the filter is not installed on the bike. I screwed up sticking it on and it's now ruined. Solution? Get some Chrome vinyl sticker paper from a sign-writer, cut out a 2.6cm circle, mount that in a drill and create a brushed steel effect by touching the vinyl with 1200 grit as it spins. The vinyl is now at an engravers who's already done a test to prove he can laser engrave the vinyl. Won't be ready until 11 January. I'm getting three engraved in case I screw one of them up.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0004-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0005-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    It's been a while between posts. Here's the air filter installed, with the aforementioned vinyl foil stuck on it featuring the words EIGHTY CUBIC INCHES FAT BOY. I think its more accurate than the one that came with the kit. Thanks to my local trophy engraver for a job well done.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0060-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Finally have some more work to share. The photos are captioned and marked up so you know what you're looking at. In general I'm only going to show what needs to be modified in order to make the Tamiya T2 Harley Fatboy kit more accurate.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0063-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0068-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0079-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0080-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0088-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0089-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 05-11-16 at 02:54 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    The kit came with detachable reflector mounts molded into the die-cast motorcycle frame. These aren't present on the screen version of the bike so I'v decided to cut them away and replace the cut-way area with a 5mm diameter piece of knitting needle. Here are the first two WIP T2 Harley Fatboy shots.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0100-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0101-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 05-12-16 at 03:06 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    Good to see!

The 'rivits' on the mirrors are actually phillips head screws.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I'll attach a screenshot showing the wing mirrors and the rivets.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Here's a screengrab from the film showing the rivets on the wing mirrors.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-wing-mirrors-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 05-13-16 at 02:05 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. krow113's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    James
    OK no worries.

My 30 years experience working on actual Harleys against a screen shot?

They are phillips head screws, you loosen them , adjust the mirror and then tighten them. A quick look at any stock Harley will confirm.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I might still dig them out and replace them. Not joking. Today though will be about re-instating the bike frame.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Frame reinstated. If there was a next time I'd have ground the reflector mounts off instead of cutting sections out of the frame.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0105-1-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    It's been ages since my last post, but I have been busy. The bike is a difficult one to research. Here's some photos of the license plate construction. Basically I learned how to photo-etch and then pressed aluminium sheet into the etching to make the license plate. The license plate lettering is one big decal T2 Harley Fatboy printed on clear decal T2 Harley Fatboy sheet. The license plate stand I made from sheet plastic

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0160-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0162-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Here's a shot with three new elements, foot pegs, emissions sticker, and that third thing circled which I made out of the handle of a micro paint brush. All the rest is sheet plastic, brass and copper tube, and fuse wire.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0173-2-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    I had already assembled the oil hoses when I realised they were in the wrong configuration. Here's a couple of shots, first of the remaining oil hoses yet to be attached then one of the breather hose and the longest oil hose attached. Basic construction material is steel pins, plastic rod bent to shape, aluminium foil cut to make the clamps and Iphone speaker cables cut to make the oil hose. Note, these hoses are thicker than the original tubing supplied with the kit.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0175-jpg  T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0174-jpg 
    Last edited by Kiwimodeller; 12-14-16 at 11:56 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Kiwimodeller's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mike
    Here's a shot of two things, the wing mirrors and the handle bar control switches. Both have custom decals on them, the wing mirrors with the wording "objects appear closer" etc and the handle bar switches with the actual wording on the real switches, TURN-R in this case. The decal T2 Harley Fatboy on the wing mirror has slightly compromised the mirror finish, but hey, I wanted the wording on the mirrors. BTW, these decals are TINY. I might hit the switches with some matt varnish, to take the sheen off them.

T2 Harley Fatboy
    Attached Images Attached Images T2 Harley Fatboy-img_0177-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31