Close

Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-14-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thought you might like to see what's been keeping me off the streets the past few months. Huck and Tom never had it so good...

This one is about the size of a Pocher, but much smaller scale–1/80. Many of the wooden pieces must be cut, soaked, bent, shaped, etc. from scratch. The planking on the hull and decks is all laid individually, as is the "siding" on the staterooms and wheelhouse walls. The twin spiral staircases in front are built with individual stairs, balusters and handrails (which must be soaked and bent to shape). The handrails along the deck edges are all built of individual pieces which were cut and glued in place one by one. The railing balusters are PE brass pieces, and the round ball atop each railing post is a round-headed map pin painted to match the railings. The stable doors are made of individual planks for the field, individual pieces for the red trim, and PE hinges with tiny brass tacks to hold them in place. The "steel" smokestack cable stays are thread painted gray. All windows are clear acetate with the individual panes created by scoring with the backside of an xacto blade and wiping flat black into the resulting grooves. The ladders and short staircases are built with individual treads and stringers, and the wheelhouse even has a stove to keep the pilot warm on those cool Mississippi River evenings!

Still need to add a flag to the forward mast and a pennant to the rear mast, plus several other small details, but otherwise it's ready for its maiden voyage!

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MojoDoctor's Avatar Active Member
    Oh baby!
    No wonder you were asking for 1/80 people in mid 19th century garb earlier. This looks like great fun.

Love that decking! Harry, that is beautiful. There is no substitute for good wood.
    Last edited by MojoDoctor; 07-14-08 at 10:47 PM.
    Matt
    Experience is what you get when you were experiencing something else!

2. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoDoctor View Post
    Oh baby!
    No wonder you were asking for 1/80 people in mid 19th century garb earlier. This looks like great fun.

Love that decking! Harry, that is beautiful. There is no substitute for good wood.
    Easy, Matt. This is a family site...

"What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Harry, that is one fine looking boat, makes me want to chug on down the river. HO scale figures might work for you, they're nominally 1/87 scale, a bit smaller than 1/80, but people do vary in size and we are supposedly a couple of inches taller than those of a century ago. The Walthers HO catalog has several pages of figures, some look like they may be adaptable, say a railroad conductor in his blue suit, brass trim, and cap could pass as a deck officer.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    That is really exceptional.

Wish I knew how you were able to tie the "steel" smokestack cable stays so taunt. I can't seem to pull thread tight like that and make a knot without pulling something else loose.
    Syd

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wow, that's one fine piece of work, Harry. I was wondering where you got to. Looking at that makes me want to get out my tall hat, my walking stick, a derringer and a good deck of cards and take a roll down the river with Miss Kitty.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

6. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    That is really exceptional.

Wish I knew how you were able to tie the "steel" smokestack cable stays so taunt. I can't seem to pull thread tight like that and make a knot without pulling something else loose.
    My trick is that I don't try to tie the cable tight with a knot.

What I did is attach the "cable" to the deck ring by tying it to the ring and "locking" the knot with a drop of CA and snipping off the excess thread. Then I glued the deck ring in place in the hole I drilled on the deck with a drop of CA. Once that sets up I run the other end of the thread through the ring that's attached to the smokestack, pull it tight and apply a drop of CA to the ring where the thread is passing through. I hold the thread tight for a few seconds, until the CA sets up. Once I have the thread tightly "locked" with the CA, I give the thread a few turns around itself at the smokestack ring to simulate a "knot" and give my fake knot another shot of CA to hold it all in place. Last step is to snip off the extra length of thread close to the "knot". I'm not relying on tying a knot to hold the line taut...I'm doing it with CA glue.

That's how I did all the rigging and lines. Attach one end with a knot and CA, stretch the line tight and lock the other end in place with CA, and finish off with a fake "knot".
    Last edited by harrypri; 07-15-08 at 09:44 AM.
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Is this the same Harry that said....."No Way" when the the conversation turned to plank and bulkhead construction, rigging and tall ships? Perhaps a trawler or tug....hat's off to you buddy, sweet paddle wheeler!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

8. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    The planking I can deal with...but you'll notice no sails here!

All that rigging on a tall ship is more than I want to get into...although I HAVE been tempted to build a "Santa Maria". Not nearly as many sails!

9. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry

10. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Really great detail: the curved banisters, curved bow planking and nails, rope ends coiled. I wonder on the real boat if they had to lift and hold up the capstan at the front in order to use it?
    Syd

11. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    I don't know.

This capstan is pretty generic and not very detailed. I guess it's possible that it could have been mounted on a vertical shaft and could be lifted. Yeah...let's go with that idea!

12. All it needs is a Dixieland band playing on the main deck! That is way cool! Fine Job!!!!!
    It's a fine line between stupid and cleaver....
    David St. Hubbins "Spinal Tap"