Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Arno

Builder Last Online: Jan 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-01-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am building the 1/8th Ferrari Arno hydroplane from the Amati kit.
      I have also built the aftermarket engine from Leggenda e passione.

I wondered if anyone else is building this kit?

I decided to include a complete interior, with all framing, bulkheads, tubing, etc.
      It is taking a while!
      I now have the hull complete, all interior woodwork complete, and most of the tubing detail completed, fuel tank and supports built, and mounted,
      the engine is about 90% now, but I have a few questions
      Can anyone advise on how to build a leather bucket seat? The transkit and also the original kit each come with a seat, but both are too big once all internal framing is added, and to be honest they both look massive in the hull, I would like a scale seat, leather covered, with the pleats and rolled edges, but not sure how to build up the frame and cover it, and suggestions?
      and instruments, as in 1/8th scale I would not like to just use decals, has anyone built up 1/8th vintage instruments?
      I have the instrument panel in metal cut for the instruments, but as they will show front and rear, I need complete instruments.
      Last, any advice on how to build up brass exhaust headers for a 12 cylinder engine? they have to feed into a long tapered collector pipe, which then runs down the deck past the cockpit. The kit items are unsuitable, being chromes, and segmented, I would really like to do them in brass but would need a bender and a means to turn the tapered collector tube.
      Suggestions?

(The picture shown is not my kit, but it shows the basic boat, mine is about the same stage, I will try and get some detail shots up if anyone is interested)
      The other picture is the actual boat, as it exists today.

so any other Arno builders?

Build Photos

Ferrari Arno-immagine-20001-jpg  Ferrari Arno-ferrari-20hydro-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That came out great. You do beautiful work.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

2. canadair's Avatar Member
    well, not to take credit for what I did not do.
    The model shown is not the one I have built,
    I will put up some pictures of my version very soon.
    The other shown is the actual boat, full size, and what I hope mine will look exactly like when done!
    Cheers

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Well, you could have fooled me. That's what I get for working without my glasses. I'm looking forward to seeing your version.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi Canadair, Bending the curved portions of your pipes from solid brass rod might be a way to get what you wish. If they all have the same curve, a wooden block sawn to shape and used as a bending jig will give consistency. If the curves graduate, you will need six blocks, each to make a port and starboard for each cylinder pair. It has been my experience that making one of something is easy, making a bunch of one item in multituplicate is the challenge. Brass can be annealed by heating it just to red heat - not too bright red nor for too long, you will boil out the zinc and it will become brittle - then immediately plunging the hot part in water. Pure copper would be better, if you can find the right size. Annealing softens the metal and minimzes the spring back that always occurs to some extent after bending. This method will produce some rejects as you fine tune the shape of the bending block. Try cutting the curve on the block a bit tighter than the required shape. The rejects can be re-bent once the block is tuned. This method will require a bit of tail on either end of the curve, to be cut off. Minimize the required tail by making a pair of handles, short pieces of pipe that will just slip over the brass will work. If the only taper requirement is for the collector portion of the pipe - the tailpipe portion looks straight, so tube should work - the compound rest on your lathe should do that, experiment on some scrap to get the taper just right, then make a spare or two just in case. Jig everything up how things need to meet, and solder it all up in one operation. Best o' luck, and don't be quoting John Lennon - "I got blisters on my fingers".
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.

5. barend's Avatar Active Member
    Hi Canadair,
    I'm also in the posession of the ARNo amati kit + the engine from legenda e passione. You mention do the fuel-tank and the new seat of the transkit. I assume you are talking about the transkit of legenda e passione. I,m trying to contact him for this transfer kit but don't get a reply. Can you confirm you are talking about his kit or if you are talking about something you have created yourself. Would love to see an update and some pictures of your Arno.

Best building wishes for 2009

Barend

6. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    I,m trying to contact him for this transfer kit but don't get a reply.
    Barend,

I spoke to Giovanni, Stephanes compagnon: the transkit is not ready jet...and it will take a couple of months

groet

Ton

7. barend's Avatar Active Member
    Ton,

I bought the arno engine from legenda e passione in April and after checking all the parts, I'm missing one of the 4 engine supports. Wrote them already 2 mails but no reply. Can you check with your contact if they received my mail? I assume Giovanni speaks english, maybe it is better if I contact him (you have his coordinates)? Already thx for your help.

Barend

8. jarrow's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton View Post
    Barend,

I spoke to Giovanni, Stephanes compagnon: the transkit is not ready jet...and it will take a couple of months

groet

Ton
    I've been waiting for the transkit for a couple of years. My first contact about the transkit was in January 2005 my last contact with them was April 2008. Don't hold your breath!

9. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Don't hold your breath!
    I will not do that but it seems that they are in the last stage of production...maybe next year

10. NES's Avatar Active Member
    simlpy beautiful, and AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!.......STORMIN NORMAN ....
    REAL RACE CARS DON'T HAVE DOORS $$**$$

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Can anyone advise on how to build a leather bucket seat? The transkit and also the original kit each come with a seat, but both are too big once all internal framing is added, and to be honest they both look massive in the hull, I would like a scale seat, leather covered, with the pleats and rolled edges, but not sure how to build up the frame and cover it, and suggestions?

Start here at page 43 of my build for building a basic bucket seat.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...-build-43.html

Ken

12. brorit's Avatar Member
    Here's min Amati Timossi Arno boat. Almost finished, but I just cannot seem to find the time to finish the last small details!

I used the resin body from leggendaepassione because the vacuum formed standard parts are awful. No underhood detail since I made it RC. At the end of the build I realised this boat is way to nice to put in the water...... So it sits under its glass case on my desk! Very nice view. I like it for the aggressive looks and the combination of the varnished mahogany and shiny red paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ferrari Arno-pict2848-jpg  Ferrari Arno-pict2836-jpg  Ferrari Arno-pict2847-jpg 

13. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Quote Originally Posted by brorit View Post
    I used the resin body from leggendaepassione
    Well that looks great! Did you buy the resin body recently? The last news I heard is thta it was not ready yet ?????

regards

Ton

14. canadair's Avatar Member
    Well, I just noticed that I mentioned 2 years or so ago that I would post pictures of my own Arno project, sorry for the delay.

This is a shot just after I completed the hull, gave it a splash of varnish and started to build an interior.
    I had to take a bit of liberties with the interior detail due to the lack of documentation on the real boat, but over all it is correct.
    Also shown is the motor mount I soldered up, and the mounting plate for the oil tanks.