Close

Ferrari Arno
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Ferrari Arno Ferrari Arno Ferrari Arno Ferrari Arno Ferrari Arno
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ferrari Arno

Builder Last Online: Jan 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-01-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am building the 1/8th Ferrari Arno hydroplane from the Amati kit.
      I have also built the aftermarket engine from Leggenda e passione.

I wondered if anyone else is building this kit?

I decided to include a complete interior, with all framing, bulkheads, tubing, etc.
      It is taking a while!
      I now have the hull complete, all interior woodwork complete, and most of the tubing detail completed, fuel tank and supports built, and mounted,
      the engine is about 90% now, but I have a few questions
      Can anyone advise on how to build a leather bucket seat? The transkit and also the original kit each come with a seat, but both are too big once all internal framing is added, and to be honest they both look massive in the hull, I would like a scale seat, leather covered, with the pleats and rolled edges, but not sure how to build up the frame and cover it, and suggestions?
      and instruments, as in 1/8th scale I would not like to just use decals, has anyone built up 1/8th vintage instruments?
      I have the instrument panel in metal cut for the instruments, but as they will show front and rear, I need complete instruments.
      Last, any advice on how to build up brass exhaust headers for a 12 cylinder engine? they have to feed into a long tapered collector pipe, which then runs down the deck past the cockpit. The kit items are unsuitable, being chromes, and segmented, I would really like to do them in brass but would need a bender and a means to turn the tapered collector tube.
      Suggestions?

(The picture shown is not my kit, but it shows the basic boat, mine is about the same stage, I will try and get some detail shots up if anyone is interested)
      The other picture is the actual boat, as it exists today.

so any other Arno builders?

Build Photos

Ferrari Arno-immagine-20001-jpg  Ferrari Arno-ferrari-20hydro-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Thos first two pictures were taken over a year ago, life gets in the way sometimes!

here is a shot of the rub plates on the fwd hull, they are stainless, and polished, probably far more than the original would be.
    next on to some of the engine, and upper cowl details

2. This shows the driveshaft and its bracing structure. Again here is an area where I really had to take liberties, as the engine as built will never line up with the prop shaft within the depth of the hull available.
    So, what to do? well short of re engineering the entire hull, I built a transfer case, and reduction drive, which may well have been what the original has.
    This eliminates the prop shaft from running directly through the drivers seat (and driver)

I built a fuel tank, again I have no accurate dimensions, but I think it looks about right, I suspect the original used a 45 gallon drum!

I used the shell of the plastic seat Amati supplies, but the rest I built from scratch, and I covered it in a very thin soft leather I found in a glove shop.

3. This shows the hull sitting on the stand. I copied this stand from photos, and made it from wood and soldered brass. I think it is pretty close to the original, but with no accurate dimensions I cant be certain. It seems to look the part.
    I still need to make stencils and reproduce the original marking on the stand.
    I have no idea how they launched the real boat from this, as it has no wheels or winch. I guess they mounted it on a boat trailer and lifted the Arno with a large crane?

here is a shot showing the fwd upper cowl, it is still a work in progress.

4. Shown is the boat as it is now, with still lots to do.
    I still need to finish plumbing the engine, fit all fuel lines, fit the steering assembly cables, put the throttle pad in, mount the rudder, and drain hoses.
    All instrument lines need to go in, and cowl fasteners have to be built.
    The exhaust has to be mounted.
    Make the Windshield, add all markings, and finish the side skirts, as well upholster the side skirts and head rest in leather.

Observations, the Amati kit would produce a good looking Arno, with no great details, but externally it would look nice.
    The Leggende Passionne kits which I bought, the engine and resin are a mix.
    The engine is quite stunning, and a very nice kit, not all the parts fit, and they need plenty of work to be final assembled. I wish I had another to now build as I could do it better but at I think around 800 euros I shall stick with this one.
    The reson parts Leggende sell are not worth buying, they are very poorly made, and I ended up using only bits and pieces and scratch building the balance.

In terms of fitting an interior, well I am glad I did it, but its hard to justify the time, as to be honest there is just not enough documentation out there to do it right.
    I ended up guessing on quite a bit, as well with that big rear cowl not much can be seen.

I shall post some shots once completed, I am hopeful it will be later this summer, not 2 more years!

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wow!!!! That's one gorgeous boat. I love the wood work you've done on it and especially the bucket seat. That glove leather is some of the best stock to work with. You can't beat it for scale upholstery.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

6. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    WOW that is a great project.....mine is still in the stack (amati/L&P) but I am looking forward to start it :)

7. jamewatson's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jame
    Thats really great work, I had never seen this before, I must say that your work is really awesome, I heartly appreciate your work, thanks for sharing a amazing pictures of your work.