Close

Carronade
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Carronade Carronade Carronade Carronade Carronade
Accepted Payment Types

Thread: Carronade

Builder Last Online: Oct 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-04-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here is a little thing that I put together last night from an old kit I had lying around. It is a model of one of the two 68 pound carronades that are on the forecastle of HMS Victory, although it bears little resemblance to the real one.

I added a couple of things to make the original shoddy kit presentable and rigged it properly- the instructions are plain wrong. I need to add the side tackles to the gun carriage, but I first must scratchbuild the blocks. The quality of the walnut was garbage- dry, brittle and worse than plywood. The kit dates from the early 80s and I grabbed it off Ebay for 10 bucks for the hell of it. I do not know if Artesania Latina have improved since this kit was made, but I cannot recommend them judging by the inaccuracy of the instructions and the quality of the materials.

I just noticed that one of the cannonballs must have dropped off somewhere- I will replace it. Also, I am going to put a 1/30 painted figure of Admiral Collingwood next to the gun when it arrives from the toy shop. He took over from Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar after he was shot and oversaw the final stages of the battle.

I modified the kit to allow the carronade to move back and forth as well as side to side. I took a lot of artistic licence as you can see from the photo of the actual carronade!

Mouppe.

Build Photos

Carronade-002-jpg  Carronade-003-jpg  Carronade-001-jpg  Carronade-450px-hms_victory_68lb_carronade-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    HEY!!!!!! Don't point that at me Mouppe!

You know what, takeing artistic licence with any kit is what makes us better builders. Looking fwd to following your build.

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Looks like a fun build all the same.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

3. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Now [B][I]THERE'S[/I][/B] something you don't see every day!
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx

4. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Admiral Collingwood, who took over from Nelson after he was wounded at the Battle of Trafalgar, surveys the scene...

I took the picture with a webcam- excuse the blurriness.
    Attached Images Attached Images Carronade-collingwood-jpg 

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Can you imagine the whole ship done in that scale. That would be a cool model.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)