Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-02-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Is anybody building a runabout, tall ship, hydro, tug or ?? Show us what you're doing.

Re Nort's comments above in the "Workbench" thread......its going to be a while before the Allison is ready, but is anyone thinking about building a boat thats set up for the Allison?
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    You can always build a riverboat.
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I was at a Classic Wooden Boat Show today and took the attached photos. Hopefully they will be of value to members who are into building boats. Or, just enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anybody Building A Boat-p1010081-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010084-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010085-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010086-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010087-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010088-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010089-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010090-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010091-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-p1010092-jpg 

3. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    I love wooden boats. I was hoping to build a 1/1 outboard runabout some day. Also,

I've been trying for years to get to the Madisonville, LA wooden boat show. In 1995 it got cancelled because of Katrina. Guess the same thing will happen this year...
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC

4. jfonticobal's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Javier
    Hello everybody:

Please sorry for my very bad english. I am building an Elco PT109 from scratch. It will be a Radio Cotrolled boat. This boat will be 44 inches long. A this moment I am making the bulkheads using plywood. I wll try to take some photos and post them. For the construcition I am using some planes I bought on Ebay. If somebody wants a copy of them, I can send a copy. Best regards.

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    44 inches!! Now that's what I call a large scale boat. I'd love to see your photos whenever you're ready. Your English is just fine.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

6. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Here's a boat that I built in 2000. You'll have to pardon the quality of the pictures as I was just getting into digital and I knew nothing about light settings etc. The blue is a Royal Blue color and not the Robin's Egg Blue that you see in the pics.
    A little information about the build. I have always been interested in steam and things powered by steam so when I took a trip to southern Ohio for a riverboat festival I visited the riverboat museum and saw some beautiful model paddlewheel boats. I purchased a set of drawings for the boat they have tied up on the river as part of the museum. The drawings are for a boat much different than what I have built but they gave me all the information I needed to complete what I wanted. My boat came from just a couple of photos in a fictional library book. The pictures were of actual Army Corps of Engineers vessels. This one, the Suter, operated on the Missouri river up until the late 40's as best as I can ascertain. My model is 36 inches long. It's approximately 1/48 scale. It was going to be an RC boat but as I started laying it out there were too many exceptions I would have to make so I opted for a scale model. It's built mainly from Basswood sheet. There is also Maple and Mahogany used. The interior of the pilot house is finished with a desk and chairs. There is also plastic and brass used for the smokestacks, small fittings, searchlights etc. The decals were made from printable decal stock (my first effort).
    gbritnell
    Attached Images Attached Images Anybody Building A Boat-suter-1-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-suter-2-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-suter-5-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-suter-6-jpg  Anybody Building A Boat-suter-7-jpg 

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You don't see many of those built today. It's a welcome sight. You did a great job on it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Nice boat build!!!! This would have been awesome to see as a RC boat. One of my "around-to-it" projects is to build a RC viking ship; harking back to my Danish ancestry and visit to the Viking ship museum in Oslo, Norway. I would try to build it with the two options; the guys rowing and under sail.

I have built a wooden kit one, but was disappointed by the inaccuracies but it was a good diversion years ago.

Will have to post a picture sometime. Here is the box image.

Thinking of it, there is a mechanical challenge for someone out there; come up with the linkage for the rowing guys. Pull oar full stroke in the water, lift, return, down back to pull stroke in the water. Now this action would be neat to see.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 08-07-09 at 09:48 AM.

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow. Ever since I saw the 1958 movie The Vikings, I've loved those big ships. I even built a wooden one when I was in 8th grade shop class. It had virtually no detail whatsoever but I still couldn't take my eyes off it.