Close

1/8 SE5a by Mouppe
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe
Accepted Payment Types

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 4.67 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-28-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I recently purchased the 1/8 scale SE5a kit by Hasegawa on Ebay, and although it was missing the plans I was able to obtain a copy from a fellow modeller in Nevada City, California.

I performed a complete inventory and all parts were in perfect condition, as was the wood and plywood sheets.

This will be my second build in the series as I built the Sopwith Camel in early 2008. There is a thread following this build elsewhere in the site. In time, I aim to build the Fokker to complete the series. (The fourth kit- the Wright Flier- is 1/16 scale.)

I have undergone a hiatus from modelling since my workshop was converted into another bedroom (!), but I have just rented a space in an industrial building near my home and office and made it into my workshop. Now work can began on my next three projects- the SE5a, a Pocher Rolls Royce, and the creme de la creme, HMS Vanguard.

Gentlemen, start your engines!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi, the aluminium sheet is about the same thickness as that of a Coke can or photo etch sheet, and quite stiff but workable. You cut it to shape by scoring it several times with a number 11 X-acto, and then breaking the piece off from the rest of the sheet. I roll it gently along the curved edge of my workbench to get a curved shape. A crease can never be removed. This is a big problem, but I was lucky not to get any major ones.

To glue it, I used contact cement. A lot of it. It does not stick well because it is so smooth, even when rubbed with steel wool. I also touched up the edges with a paintbrush.

There are several advantages. It holds its shape very well, and unlike foil, does not need a panel underneath for support. It can be easily painted. It is like working with photo etch material in that you can cut very small details and measurements. It can be scribed for detail.

2. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Fitted the undercarriage yesterday. Tricky job, but always a relief when it is finally on as you no longer have to worry about the underside of the fuselage getting damaged by snagging on a knife glue spot or some such thing lying on the workbench. Because this model takes up so much room on the workbench, it is much easier to work on and move around when the wheels are in place.

I covered the louvres with aluminium foil, although I think it really should be painted olive as per the rest of the plane. I can change it later if I feel like it.

I cut inspection holes in the wheels and added some brass spokes. Don't forget to paint the inside of the wheels black or you will see the white plastic!

One small detail is the lettering on the tyres. It is very hard to do this well, and I was not too happy with the result. If the letters are worn in places as mine were, there is no ridge detail on the letters to act as a paint guide. On the Sopwith Camel, the tyres were in much better condition so the lettering was much crisper. I will touch them up again before I am finished.

Now on to the wing fitting, and the final rigging.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0066-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0067-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0069-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0072-jpg 

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The tyres look pretty good despite their size. This is coming out very well. I really am looking forward to the completion.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Thanks. I am keen to complete this model as I have some other projects in mind. It's hard to concentrate for so many months on a model this big. It is so intricate, requiring skills in wood, metal, plastic, painting, rigging, etc. And it takes up so much room. Everywhere I look there are wing sections!

Another week or two should do it.

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is a factory drawing of the tire lettering, just FYI. There are more drawings in my albums under Sopwith Camel that may be of use as well, for instance the instruments.

Ken

Here they are on the 1/15th scale Sopwith Camel. These are laser etched into the correct size o-ring. Yes you can laser etch the o-ring material. Then they are paint filled.

Last edited by xken; 02-17-10 at 01:51 PM.

6. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The tyres on my Sopwith Camel came out much better than these. The ridge detail was much crisper and easier to paint. But these are OK unless you get a 12 MP digital camera and take a close-up from about three inches or are a real perfectionist!

It's interesting that the Sopwith Camel had an axle per wheel whereas the SE5a has the wheels on the same axle. If you have ever seen a video of a Camel taking off, you can see the rocking effect that the rotary engine produces and presumably the independent suspension helps to mitigate this. No such problem with the SE5a.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-img_2124-jpg 

7. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    A few weeks later on from the last post and the SE5a is almost done. I have started the wing rigging, and although the wing dihedral is not yet accurate, it should all be properly aligned by the time it is complete. It is really hard to get everything parallel and in the right plane, but the rigging helps draw it all together correctly.

There are still a few rough edges to fix (such as the angle of the exhaust pipe that I just noticed in the photo!) but should not be long now till the maiden flight.

Richard.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00447-jpg 

8. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi folks,

Well I reached the end of the build, and the SE5a made it safely to her new hangar (my office!). Only problem is the table I intended to place the model on is too small, so it will have to perch on my desk till I find a suitable new place.

It was fun to build this model, but way way harder than the Sopwith Camel. The skin and plane alignment were very difficult, but it turned out well. I still maintain a preference for the Camel with all the polished aluminium skin over the olive green SE5a skin, but they look good together.

Now where is that Fokker...

Richard.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0012-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0014-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0015-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0017-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0018-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0021-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0024-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0025-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0026-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0027-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0029-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0030-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0031-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0035-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0036-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0037-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc_0038-jpg 

9. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Richard, that is beautiful work, the visitors to your office must be impressed.

That is a beautiful desk also!

10. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Tage,

Thanks so much. I refinished the desk myself during the Christmas holidays. It was basically a commercial for Festool dust extraction!

Richard.

11. Very impressive Richard Please more photos;';;';

Sean

12. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi Sean,

Thanks. That's all the photos I have taken but I can take some more. Is there anything in particular that you would like to see?

Richard.

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    More pictures would be great. I really love the figure in that desk. What kind of wood is that?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

14. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    HFC,

I have no idea what wood it is. I sanded down a horrific paint or lacquer surface down to this amazing veneer, stained it, and added 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane. The original finish is still on the sides of the desk and the cabinet against the wall (containing the Pochers!).

It came out nicely considered I had to use a foam brush for the poly as I could not spray in my office. A little streaky in places but never mind. I also bought a nice hide for $50 from a leather wholesaler and made a really cool leather desk set. It's lying on the sofa in one of the photos.

Richard.

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looks great to me.