Close

1/8 SE5a by Mouppe
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe
Accepted Payment Types

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 4.67 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-28-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I recently purchased the 1/8 scale SE5a kit by Hasegawa on Ebay, and although it was missing the plans I was able to obtain a copy from a fellow modeller in Nevada City, California.

I performed a complete inventory and all parts were in perfect condition, as was the wood and plywood sheets.

This will be my second build in the series as I built the Sopwith Camel in early 2008. There is a thread following this build elsewhere in the site. In time, I aim to build the Fokker to complete the series. (The fourth kit- the Wright Flier- is 1/16 scale.)

I have undergone a hiatus from modelling since my workshop was converted into another bedroom (!), but I have just rented a space in an industrial building near my home and office and made it into my workshop. Now work can began on my next three projects- the SE5a, a Pocher Rolls Royce, and the creme de la creme, HMS Vanguard.

Gentlemen, start your engines!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The workbench is really a massive job and frankly is taking longer than I had anticipated, although it is very enjoyable. To go from 1/8 scale modelling to six inch bench bolts and huge pieces of lumber necessitates a big change in thinking, and very different tools. Nonetheless, the measurements required have to still be really accurate, particularly when installing the vises.

Here are some photos taken today of the latest progress. The bench top is maple with a cherry wood skirt, vise jaws are also maple.

The workshop is not usually this messy but it was a busy day!

Mouppe.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00122-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00123-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00124-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00125-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00126-jpg 

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Really impressive - looks like you should be building custom furniture instead of 1/8 models.
    Syd

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I love that bench. I could use two of them in my workshop. Believe it or not, my worktables are 6 foot plastic picnic tables.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I may as well go a little further out on this tangent and post some pictures from today of my FINISHED (!) bench top. I still need to sand and oil it, but the heavy duty construction is finished. It really was an experience building this monster.

The legs should be a lot more straightforward.

The first picture shows the workbench with two rows of dog holes and a Veritas twin-screw vise at the tail.

The second picture shows the other end with a standard front vise. I plugged the bench bolt holes with maple because I wanted the construction elements to be emphasized. The right plug is not level with the left one because the bolt needed to clear the vise screw.

Picture 4 is my big mistake but I got away with it. I drilled one of my dog holes half an inch out as I mistook a laminate edge for my pencil line! Not to worry, I plugged the hole with a maple dowel and re-drilled next to it. Can you see the remaining half-dowel?!

The last picture shows the sunken brass cross dowels, two at each end of the bench. Again, I chose to leave them uncovered as I wanted them to be visible.

Mouppe.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00127-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00128-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00129-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00130-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00131-jpg 

5. John's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    John
    Now that , Mouppe, is a bench a man can be proud off!
    Well done.
    Regards
    John

6. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi all,

I finished my workbench today! It just needs a coat of penetrating oil on the legs but it's all done apart from that. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

Now enough of this furniture distraction and back to the SE5a!

Mouppe.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00163-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00164-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00166-jpg 

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    That is a beautiful piece of furniture. Now you can build big scale models.
    Syd

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey mouppe, should I just give you my address where you should send the bench?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

9. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Sure, as long as you cover the shipping cost and the four guys needed to lift it!

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got me, mouppe.

11. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Back on track with the SE5a, I installed the cockpit and control column. Unlike the Camel, this kit does not come with decals for the instrument faces, so I took a photograph of a colour picture of the cockpit, blew it up to the right size and printed it out. Then I cut out each dial carefully and glued them onto the dials. Using glossy photo paper meant there is no need for a glass or clear plastic covering over the decal.

The control column is quite straightforward to install, but follow the instructions carefully or you could end up with the wrong length thread going somewhere. I wrapped some brown rigging line round the control column to add detail.

The brown box protruding from the panel is the magazine feed for the Vickers gun.

Mouppe.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00180-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00181-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00183-jpg 

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wow, that's some detailed cockpit action. Are all those parts included in the kit or did you have to scratch them?

13. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I'm sorely tempted to tell a porky pie, but the truth is they came with the kit. I just painted and detailed them!

Mouppe.

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Still, a lot of good stuff going on there.

15. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi there,

I picked up where I left off on the SE5a recently and here is the latest progress.

I have installed the bulkheads and am partway through the adding the stringers. This is similar to planking a hull, but much easier. The whole structure will be greatly strengthened once this is completed. I also added the cables for the ailerons, rudder, elevators etc. This is complicated and it is easy to get confused without being able to tie off the cable ends, but it has to be done now because the control column will be inaccessible soon.

As I have noted previously, be sparing with the wood- Hasegawa was not overly generous when preparing the kit. Save all the little bits as you may need them later.

Enjoy the photos- I used my camera phone so that's my excuse!

Mouppe.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00238-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00237-jpg  1/8 SE5a by Mouppe-dsc00236-jpg