Close

1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter 1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter 1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter 1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter 1/15th Bell H-13D MASH Helicopter
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-05-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here is a scratch built H-13D, mostly brass. The main rotor turns the engine cooling fan and tail rotor through bevel gears in the transmission, with a working universal joint and worm gears in the tail rotor shaft. I put here because there is no section for Helicopters.

Here is a right side shot a little closer. The top side of the gas tank is hammered copper to get the compound surfaces in one piece.

Closeup of cabin area. I thermoformed the bubble using PETE to keep it thin and strong.

Here is the transmission that the bevel gears are in that drive the pulley and rear driveshaft.

Engine and transmission assembly.

This shows the worm gears that drive the tail rotor shaft.

Working universal joint. 1/8th inch diameter

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Magnificent!!!!!!!!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    What more can I say. This is the best I've ever seen. Hey Don, can you imagine a huge model of the Huey you flew?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    That's the stuff dreams are made of Jeff. It's easy to get lost in builds of this quality.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

4. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Oh boy!....OH BOY!!!!

Mario

5. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hey Ken, I'm still as blown away by your model as when I posted them on LSP some time ago. You should post your World War I planes as well, they are just simply amazing! If you ever want to do an old-time sprint car, I've got some good drawings, that model would just be something to drool over!

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Mario, looks like I got some work to do. Here I go back into the basement for some more experimentation. I got my soldering act together. I gotta go get some more brass.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

7. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Slingshot, MADD FABRICATOR here. Fill me in on those sprint car plans you've got. Like the scale are the drawings and whose chassis/design and era is it. Can I get a copy of the plans if they are something I don't already have?
    CHEERZZZZ !!!!!! (M.F.)
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!

8. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Great looking vertical bird !!!!! Somehow building in brass just lends a whole new perspective to model building. GREAT WORK, glad to see it posted here.
    CHEERZZZ !!!! (M.F.)
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!

9. plane_mc's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mark
    Absolutely stunning.
    - Mark -

10. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Hey Ken, I'm still as blown away by your model as when I posted them on LSP some time ago. You should post your World War I planes as well, they are just simply amazing! If you ever want to do an old-time sprint car, I've got some good drawings, that model would just be something to drool over!
    Hey sling!
    Can I have a grab on those drawings too??

Thanks much...

Mario

11. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Hey Mario, looks like I got some work to do. Here I go back into the basement for some more experimentation. I got my soldering act together. I gotta go get some more brass.
    Resistance soldering stuff??
    I gotta have one of those!!!.....

Mario

12. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Here's a link to where I got the plans, scroll down about halfway down the page and each page of the article is posted. The guy who put up the pages of the article (including the drawings) built a real car from them for his dad that was in the recent Street Rodder, the article made it sound like the car was for this street as well. The link has a lot of pages to it with some great sprint car photos.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...236178&page=17

13. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Slingshot, Many Thanks for the link to the plans. Looks like a good home for the TDR OFFY engine. It should be a neat 1/8th scale project.
    CHEERZZZZ!!!! (M.F.)

14. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MADD FABRICATOR View Post
    Slingshot, Many Thanks for the link to the plans. Looks like a good home for the TDR OFFY engine. It should be a neat 1/8th scale project.
    CHEERZZZZ!!!! (M.F.)
    And something completely new....

M.F., if I can be of any help just let me know.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 08-07-08 at 05:40 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!