Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-05-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I worried about how stain would react to glue. My worst fears show up at the bottom left of the image where I used some dark stain over an area with a small amount of glue on the surface. The manual says to position the ribs on the two major spars then brush watered down glue on the joints. Instead, worrying about the possibility of stain looking blotchy, I used a toothpick to apply spots of glue to where the joint would be then slid the rib in place. I also plan to use a much blonder stain to minimize showing any glue overlay.

There are so many ribs that when applying the rib covers I tended to get into a production mode now and then. Bad for details so I forced myself to stop after each few and do something else. As I put each rib in its rough position I reworked the sanding detail to ensure there would be a minimum of char or rough wood and that the spars would fit their holes.

Build Photos

1/16 Model Airways Sopwith Camel Gluing Ribs-gluing-wing-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    As we come close to the finish of the model it is suggested we plumb the pitot tube by running copper wire through the front rib sections. Only way I could see to do that was to slide the proper length wire through the rib and aileron pulley casting (left of the spar) then bend the end up and use a small brass tube as a coupling. Same under the fuselage where the line has to disappear up towards the instrument panel.

The Fuel Pressure pump plumbing might better be bent to size attached to the frame then have the pump placed to fit. Lot of bending there and very little room to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/16 Model Airways Sopwith Camel Gluing Ribs-pitot-plumbing-jpg  1/16 Model Airways Sopwith Camel Gluing Ribs-pitot-plumbed-jpg  1/16 Model Airways Sopwith Camel Gluing Ribs-pump-plumbed-jpg 
    Syd

2. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Be careful Harry. Aircraft modeling is extremely addictive. It's really a lot of fun and there's lots of really little stuff to play with. A million fiddly bits. I'd recommend the 1/8 scale kit as well. With your skills, you'd be a natural.
    I really am tempted to get the 1/8 Fokker, but I would have no way to display the finished model. It's too darn big! I don't have any display shelves deep enough. And yet the little voice in my head keeps saying "buy it..buy it"...

The more I see of Syd's build the more I want to get in on the fun!
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Harry, hang the thing from the ceiling. That's what I did with some big 1/18 scale aircraft. That's the only place I could find big enough to put them.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The Hasegawa kits actually come with a pair of brackets and a cable to enable you to hang the finished model. There is a small sub-assembly on the cockpit to strengthen the model at this point if you want to hang it, and another near the tail.

I chose to display mine on a table in the corner of my office, and use an airbrush from time to time to chase the dust away. The table has two levels- it would be mean not to put a finished Fokker or SE5a in there one of these days!

Go for it, Harry, and worry about where to put it later on.

5. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    Describing your presentation table, and no photo? That is cruel... :P

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by harrypri View Post
    I really am tempted to get the 1/8 Fokker, but I would have no way to display the finished model. It's too darn big! I don't have any display shelves deep enough. And yet the little voice in my head keeps saying "buy it..buy it"...

The more I see of Syd's build the more I want to get in on the fun!
    Harry........given your skill and expertise I'd really hate to see you pass the REALLY BIG aircraft by due to space limitations.
    For me the real joy is in the building..although it would be fantastic to be able to have it properly displayed in your residence or office, it's just not practical for most us.
    In another life (living on the East Coast) when I was into the tall ships I found that there were Maritime Museums etc. that were more than willing to accept them and properly display them for anyone to view, they even included an engraved brass plaque with the ship info and credited me as the builder.
    Buy the darned thing, enjoy the build and take plenty of photos...donate it to a proper organization.
    Perhaps not an ideal solution but at least it's an option.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

7. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Sorry Herman, no photo of the table, but there is a picture of it at the end of the 1/8 camel thread.

Now I just need the Fokker to go on it.

8. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    The aileron hinges should be a tight fit. The ones attaching to the wing spar will probably need filing, as the opening seems too small to fit over the spar. The legs will be thinner then and too easy to bend when fitting them so care is advised. The spars in the wing and aileron have a set distance due to their holes in the ribs, This makes the ailerons extend slightly beyond the wing’s trailing edge so those into perfection should sand the rear of the aileron ribs whatever is required to account for the hinge size. This also means the wing end castings need to be bent to fit the new length.
    Hi Syd,

I cut the ailerons tonight and found the same problem. I knew this was going to happen, so I decided that I would notch the both spars to move the pivot forward, then bevel the gap so the alerons will travel up and down. I was going to follow your direction, but was afraid that allowing the aileron to shift rearward would show a differance in the air foil. Man I hope this works.

Cheers
    Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D