Close

Builder Last Online: Jul 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-11-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello Everyone, I’ve been admiring everyone’s work on this site for some time and now that I have something to contribute, I’m posting a few photos of my Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 build I started last October. I just completed Stage 7 and attached the lower wing today.

Many, many thanks to Lancair IV for his wonderful and informative photos of his build. I referred to them often when the instructions weren’t clear.

Regards, Steve

Build Photos

Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-1a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-2a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-3a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-4a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-5a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-6a-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-7a-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Really excellent detail and rigging. Keep showing the steps as you go.
    Syd

2. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Nice build !
    For Large Pictures see:

https://albatros15.imgur.com/all/
    My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.

3. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Wow! This is really amazing looking with awesome details! How will you display it?

Doug

4. rob norman's Avatar Member
    Name
    rob
    Hi, i am also building the model airways camel, will try to get a few pics up soon, would like to thank sydeem and lanciar for all the info on their excellent builds, and steve your camel is looking fantastic, was also after some advice on the best way to paint some of the metal parts i.e the cabane struts to look like wood, have been using a stain varnish on the wood parts and wood like the interplane struts and cabane looking the same, any tips would be greatly appreciated,
    regard Rob

5. rob norman's Avatar Member
    Name
    rob
    *would* not wood!! damn typing!!

6. stevepas9's Avatar Member
    Name
    Steve
    Greetings..and thanks for the kind comments..

Attached the top wing last night (Photo #8) and had to see what the Camel looked like with the engine mounted (photo #9).

Not sure how I'm going to display it yet. Lancair IV's display case is awesome! Check it out!
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tedCase001.jpg

Cheers....
    Attached Images Attached Images Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-8x1150-jpg  Model Airways Sopwith Camel F.1 Build-sopwith-9x1150-jpg 

7. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words.....Your Camel looks awesome. Keep up the good work and take your time.
    Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D

8. goose814's Avatar Member
    Name
    Gus
    Looks very nice. Any recent updates?

9. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Love to see more pics !
    For Large Pictures see:

My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.

10. p9o1r1sche's Avatar Banned
    Name
    Ken
    Nice job on the Camel.
    I have a Model Airways Albatros kit and was wondering what might be used to cover the structure. I am thinking about covering parts of the model to see its form and leaving parts uncovered to see the details. What options are available?

11. alfajim's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jim
    Hi new member here, just joined this site and browsing the topics read this one and LancairIV's build of the Wright Flyer with great interest as I have four of the Model Expo's kits on the shelf. My favorite is the Jenny. I also plan on covering half to show off the finished lines, so to answer Ken's question I plan to use tissue paper like I used to do as a kid building the Guillows stick and paper models. Tissue can be obtained at Michaels and Dope from Great Planes I believe or Model Expo.
    I am currently building three different wood model boats, a Mississippi river boat and two different sailing ships so the aircraft are later done.
    I also am into LEGO's, trains buildings and the Mindstorm robotics, am also doing a LEGO model of the USS Constellation frigate it is a LEGO kit but I am kit bashing it greatly to make it look more realistic.
    I am also interested in getting started on the Pocher car models in the near future have to get some first, expensive!!

Jim
    Last edited by alfajim; 05-04-11 at 12:39 AM. Reason: miss spelling

12. stevepas9's Avatar Member
    Name
    Steve
    Hello Everyone, The build of Model Airway’s Sopwith Camel is complete. Please see the attached photos.
    Regards, Steve

13. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Nice Job !
    For Large Pictures see:

14. jamewatson's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jame
    Wow you have done a nice job, the model of airways is looking awesome, really great work, I heartly appreciate your work, thanks for sharing a nice pics of your work.