Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-10-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I finally got a replacement wire for my computer and now I can post one of the things I'm working on. When I saw our good friend Rob Byrnes a.k.a. Lancair IV working on his B17, I felt the strong urge to make one myself but not exactly the same. This is in no way competition for Rob's B17. I just couldn't resist making one myself since I'm much more of a bomber guy than a fighter guy. This is a reissue of an older kit called the Visible B17G Flying Fortress. It's basically the old Monogram B17G but it has a clear left fusilage half so you can really see the interior detail which is usually obscured. This kit lends itself incredibly to superdetailing to whatever level you feel comfortable with whether the detail comes straight out of the box or not. With Rob's help, I intend to make this a diorama in itself since nothing will be hidden. The first thing I did was to sand all the panel lines off the clear fusilage half and thin it out so the details can be clearly seen. The clear plastic was then polished just like we would polish out an auto body before we lay down the paint. the styrene cleared up beautifully. The rest of the pictures show what I've been doing with the cockpit and the front cabin for the bombardier and navigator. There still is a ton on work left to do on this assembly but this is just the beginning. Hope you like. More to come.

Build Photos

HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00275-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00240-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00242-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00243-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00246-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00251-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00252-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00253-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00255-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00258-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00262-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00265-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Awww man, the old hallway dragraces! What fun!
    The B17 is looking good, I like the scratch building going into this. I know what you mean about the magnification issues, I was looking for a Dissecting Stereoscope too, check this place out.
    Stereo Microscopes & Dissecting Microscopes

I got a Beaufighter, I went with 1/48. The 1/32 was only available outside Oz and postal would have more than doubled the kit price! I will start to post my progress under the Whispering Death thread.

Doc.

PS, I was scared of vac form kits until I tried one. Its a hell of a lot easier than I thought to build one!..........................and, the 1/28 B-17 is not a good kit at all for detailing. In fact even standing off 10ft it looks average. Its bulkheads and longerons with fabric covering, built to fly not look good.
    Last edited by docwatson1938; 09-22-10 at 10:14 AM.
    Proud to have served.

Wondering, WHY ME? since 1972.

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for the kind words Doc. Yeah, I really miss those old times back at the home.

Thanks for the scope links. The sites that I found were so dang expensive, I'd go broke. Those prices are perfect. I wouldn't need one that goes up to 40x. I think that would be overkill. The 20x is more than enough for what we do. One of the problems I never thought of until now was that with magnification over 20x, the field of view would be too small and the resultant detail might be too small to see. Also, there'd be a limit to how small a part I could handle. Even 15x would be right since I'm using 8x now.

I'm glad you told me about the 1/28 kit. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of cash on a lox.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've been out of town for a week and a half but I'm back at home and at the bench again. I'm still working on the cockpit assembly and have gotten a bit farther. I've added the plywood floor for the pilots' compartment, did some micro work on the throttle quadrant and added some little details to the navigator's table. I don't know how long this plane will take me to complete but there's a whole lot more detail that I'm going to add including plumbing, wiring, equipment and whatever else my research pictures show. I also had to get myself a new camera that shows the details much sharper than my old camera could. It really wasn't expensive at all. I would have liked to have bought the new Nikon 21 megapixel camera but I don't have a spare 8 grand sitting around somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0031-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0037-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0045-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 09-30-10 at 10:12 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    And so goes another building session. Tonight, I worked on the back wall of the cockpit. The first picture shows how the wall was modified as compared to the kit part. After the molded in detail was removed, there were three slots that had to be filled. That was done with scrap styrene and will be touched up with some filler. As you can see, I opened the door and shortened the opening until it had the same proportions as my research pic showed. Finally the stringers were added. Tomorrow night, I'll work on the other side of the wall which becomes the forward wall of the bomb bay. It'll get a similar treatment to the first side. I'll be adding the wires and detail later on.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0053-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0054-jpg 

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Well, I did work on the bulkhead tonight but I didn't set up the bomb bay side like I said I would. Why? I forgot what I wrote last night so I continued the cockpit side. I added a few more stringers, added the electrical box on the right side which I have no idea what it is. I scratchbuilt the two tanks on the left which I also have no idea what they are or do. There's still a lot more to put in so tomorrow I'll hopefully have something for model Sunday to show off.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0062-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0064-jpg 

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's the completed bulkhead except for a few wire clips. Any more plumbing and wiring must be done after installation of the part. Now I'm ready to work on the reverse side. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0071-jpg 

7. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Just threw back some orange crayons and sat down to browse your work, the bulkhead came up nice!! I particularly like the little gussets above the door, I don't think I would have gone that far!
    What are you using to do the rivets? They look good.
    I do wish you would stop raising the bar on me!!

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    What rivets?? Just kidding. The light colored rivets are nothing more than drops of lighter green paint. The smaller darker rivets werre made using a pounce wheel. I found a small and a large wheel at my local hobby shop. If you can't find any, you can make one yourself by using an old metal watch gear stuck in a thick strip of styrene at least .125 x .125 wide. Next time I take a few photos, I'll get a shot of it so you can see how I did it.

It's not that I'm raising the bar on you. It's Rob Byrnes raising the bar on me. The biggest problem is I'm reading some of the model magazines that are coming out of the U.K. The models some of these guys are detailing are insane. The worst part of it is that the highly detailed models are in 1/72 !! I gotta quit reading those mags.

9. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Thanks for that, I will check out the local hobby shop to see if they carry the pounce wheels.

Between you and Rob, I have a way's to go to catch up!! I have been out of airplane modeling for too long.

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Don't worry about catching up, Doc. All I've done is the cockpit. I only started back into the aircraft business this year. I was out of the realm for over 20 years. It'll come right back to you before you know it. Any help you need, just let me know. Before you know it, you'll pass me right up.

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I did more work on the bomb bay bulkheads. The rear bulkhead is not ready to photograph but the front wall was. A few new research pictures show some more detail I'll need to add. Stay tuned. :)'
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0075-jpg 

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Tonight I worked onj the rear bomb bay wall/ radio room front wall bulkhead. The kit bulk head was stripped of all molded in detail and the holes filled with styrene. The rear bomb bay wall was modified with .010 x .040 strip styrene. On the radio room front wall, I made the lower radio tray out of soda can aluminum and painted the interior color. The radio sets were made by wrapping soda can aluminum around measured blocks of styrene. The dials were made by chucking a piece of aluminum rod in my Dremel and turning/cuttting the dial shape. They were glued to the blocks with CA and painted.

I also included a picture of my pounce wheels. The ones on the bottom were store bought while the one on top was the one I made. I took a strip of .250 x .250 styrene and cut 2 slots in a cross pattern at the end of the strip. The thinner slot is to allow for movement of the watch gear while the other less deep thicker slot will hold the gear axle. A thinner styrene strip was glued into the thicker slot to retain the gear. With a little trimming and lubricant, I've got a very useful pounce wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0085-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0081-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0089-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0087-jpg 

13. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Nice Jeff, the dial faces look real good. Why is it they are always the most difficult things to get to look like that!

The pounce wheel you made is so simple but so effective! I think I need to find me some old watches, thank you very much for the info mate.
    Doc.
    Proud to have served.

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I was lucky today to be able to spend most of my day in the workshop but it looks like I hardly did anything. You'd think that working in 1/48 scale would be a lot easier than it is. It takes a lot more time to get the little fiddly bits just right so that when you photograph them up close, they look right. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't lie and really shows off the inaccuracies. To the naked eye, the booboos are insignificant. Here is today's offering, the radio room front wall again. All of the detail was removed and scratchbuilt. This is only about 1/3 of the detail that will complete this wall. Looks like it's going to be a close race between me finishing this model and me losing my sanity.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0132-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dscn0135-jpg 

15. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I was lucky today to be able to spend most of my day in the workshop but it looks like I hardly did anything. You'd think that working in 1/48 scale would be a lot easier than it is. It takes a lot more time to get the little fiddly bits just right so that when you photograph them up close, they look right. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't lie and really shows off the inaccuracies. To the naked eye, the booboos are insignificant. Here is today's offering, the radio room front wall again. All of the detail was removed and scratchbuilt. This is only about 1/3 of the detail that will complete this wall. Looks like it's going to be a close race between me finishing this model and me losing my sanity.
    Keep it up HFC. Keep the faith. She looks great! I love the strap around the fire bottle! What diod you use?

Cheers
    Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D