Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-10-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I finally got a replacement wire for my computer and now I can post one of the things I'm working on. When I saw our good friend Rob Byrnes a.k.a. Lancair IV working on his B17, I felt the strong urge to make one myself but not exactly the same. This is in no way competition for Rob's B17. I just couldn't resist making one myself since I'm much more of a bomber guy than a fighter guy. This is a reissue of an older kit called the Visible B17G Flying Fortress. It's basically the old Monogram B17G but it has a clear left fusilage half so you can really see the interior detail which is usually obscured. This kit lends itself incredibly to superdetailing to whatever level you feel comfortable with whether the detail comes straight out of the box or not. With Rob's help, I intend to make this a diorama in itself since nothing will be hidden. The first thing I did was to sand all the panel lines off the clear fusilage half and thin it out so the details can be clearly seen. The clear plastic was then polished just like we would polish out an auto body before we lay down the paint. the styrene cleared up beautifully. The rest of the pictures show what I've been doing with the cockpit and the front cabin for the bombardier and navigator. There still is a ton on work left to do on this assembly but this is just the beginning. Hope you like. More to come.

Build Photos

HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00275-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00240-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00242-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00243-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00246-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00251-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00252-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00253-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00255-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00258-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00262-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00265-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi HFC, I just looked at dissecting microscopes on eBay and you might be pleasantly surprised. A lot of new kits go for more. They're apparently (insert adjective) imports but if they're half as good as my import $10 binoculars I'd be happy.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Nortley. Thanks for the tip. The scopes I was looking at were particularly used for the dental labs and they're too high for me. I'll go take a look at eBay. Hopefully, I can get around the mag limit wars here.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    More building tonight but things are going rather slowly as they should. This is where patience definitely is a virtue. I don't want to waste anymore time redoing things because I rushed.

I attached the bombardier's platform to the navigator's compartment. You can see in some previous photos that area had to be recontoured. Previously, I had measured the height and the length of the platform so I could get it back in the right place. I still had to do some fitting to get it to sit inside the right fusilage half. The navigator's table was veneered with the same wood as the floor and refitted back into the assembly. You'll notice a notch in the rear end of the table. That's where electrical wires will come up from the floor. BTW, most of the wiring will be added later unless it has to be included in a particular assembly.

You'll see a frame in the last photo on the nav's table. That's the seat attachment. The main frame is soldered brass while the cross pieces were made from melted wax. The long upright will go from the underside of the table to the floor while the seat will be placed onto the short upright. Further work tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00317-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00319-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00321-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00327-jpg 
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)

4. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    You could also try paper backed veneer!
    I am using it on a RR car that I am building now.
    For Large Pictures see:

https://albatros15.imgur.com/all/
    My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks John. I didn't think of that.

This is what I fiddled with today. I originally used the kit part for the back wall of the bombardier/nav cabin. I painted it so very nice, looked at my research pics, looked at some of the resin parts, then sanded off all the kit detail and began to scratchbuild the back wall. It just didn't look right. Here's what I have to date. I took the pics with two different types of lighting. I still need to add some stuff on the starboard side of the panel. Once I cement the part to the lower back wall, I'll add all the wires and such. Loads more to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00377-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00380-jpg 

6. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Crikey HFC, that's mighty fine stuff you're doing there mate. Wish I could see it in person, but the distance is a problem. Those magnifiers would be great (20x), I used them when I worked in a lab and wish I could have kept them. I'd better look on eBay myself. How long is this fancy rocket ship? Sorry, bomber. I don't know anything about aircraft but I love the detail you put in and I do like to step out of a nice little plane when it's way up in the sky
    Keep up the great work mate, and patience is the key.

7. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.

8. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Here is a nice idea I found somewhere a long time ago.I often thought about doing something like this myself.On the mirror side it looks like the real thing ! he even wired up a rotating prop through the wing as well as lit up the interior.Yours being totally enclosed would not even need a display box.Cheers!
    For Large Pictures see:

9. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Dr Dave. Thanks for the kind words. The B17 is 18 inches long and about 2 feet wide. It's the same size as the one Lancair IV ( Rob) is doing in his thread. I'm not in competition with Rob or trying to out do him. I watch what he does and I'm totally inspired by it taking lessons as I go along. I've just started with a different assembly than he did. Rob's work is helping me stay focused and stops me from rushing or being sloppy.

Hey John. I like that display box. Thanks for posting it. That's pretty much what I'm trying to do except I'm using the clear side so the model can stand on its own. I'm also going to cut holes in the clear part for better visibility but I won't be putting in the stringers. I'm also not going to weather it since it's supposed to represent a brand new aircraft.

There's another B17 model like that but I don't remember where I saw it. I call it the extreme model. It's just one half of the fusilage in a display but it's WAY superdetailed. It's got all the wiring, weathering, machine gun belts, personnel, and anything else you could possibly stuff into a B17. I just wish they made a kit like this in 1/24 instead of 1/48. Guillow makes one in 1/28 scale but you have to make all the internal parts from scratch. If I find one, I just might try it.

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    This is Sunday night's work. Again, I took pictures in two different lighting conditions. The panel is complete for now. It has to be added to the main assembly before I can put the final touches on i.e. the wiring, the wash, the padding and plumbing. I'll be working on the instrument panel next.
    Attached Images Attached Images HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00330-jpg  HFC"S Visible B17G Flying Fortress-dsc00335-jpg 

12. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Its looking good man, I tried one of these many moons ago when I was still in school. So many possibilitys huh!!
    I think you are inspiring me to try and find a Revell 1/32 Bristol Mk1A Beaufighter and convert into an Aussy built DAP Mk21 Beau. I used to work at the Morabbin Air Museum and spent many hours in and around the Mk21 we have there. I LOVE these airplanes!

Could this be a return to where it all began for me? Scratchbuilding aircraft? Awww, man. You guys are a bad influence!!

This is her, VERY complete example!!

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

Wondering, WHY ME? since 1972.

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh yeah !!! I'd love to see one of those superdetailed up either in 1/48 or 1/32. That's one BEAUtiful aircraft. I just wish I could find a bigger B17 like in 1/24 but I don't think I could afford the entry fee. Hey Doc, don't forget to show what you do on model Sunday too. Instead of the old drag races in the hall at the home, we could begin to fly some covert missions.

14. Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Oh yeah !!! I'd love to see one of those superdetailed up either in 1/48 or 1/32. That's one BEAUtiful aircraft. I just wish I could find a bigger B17 like in 1/24 but I don't think I could afford the entry fee. Hey Doc, don't forget to show what you do on model Sunday too. Instead of the old drag races in the hall at the home, we could begin to fly some covert missions.
    Jeff there was a 1/32nd B17 Vacform build going on over on LSP

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Sean. I've seen that build but I didn't want to mess with a vacuform kit since I've never done one. I wouldn't want to start out on something like that and mess it all up. I was thinking of throwing some cash at some brass and aluminum.