Close

Page 1 of 119 123456 ... LastLast
  1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Welcome to Scalemotorcars
    Hello and welcome to the Scalemotorcars Forum. Thank you for registering.

Please start by posting a little about yourself.

For example. I've been building since I was 8 years old. Model cars were all I wanted for Christmas and I remember getting about 30 kits that year. When I was 12 my Uncle found a Pocher RR at a yard sale, he took one look at all the tiny parts and knew it was for me. After that I would never build the same way again. I was hooked and never went back to the small scale kits. In 1998 I started SMC to share with the WWW my passion for building.
    Thats it. Now its your turn.

Here are some links to help you finish setting up your profile.Lastly, please be sure to READ, the forum rules. This is a family site and open to anyone interested in building. Lets keep it a friendly place.
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 08-01-11 at 03:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    Hi....My name is Rob, and I'm and addict.......

I've been building models since I was about 5 years old when my dad bought me a 1/32 F-51 Mustang with retracts, dropping bombs, the works. I thought this was the greatest kit ever made and I've built it about 10 times since then. I'll build anything, in any scale, if the subject attracts me. I'm starting to get into scratch building now with a purchase of a mini lathe, so who know's where I'm heading.

I'm honored to be a part of this community that has more talent than I'll probably ever know or have.

Cheers
    Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    For you new members and those who are sitting on the fence thinking should I post or will I just sound like a novice. Some of you have looked the forum over and I know that we have members with incredible skills......but please keep in mind that as far as this forum is concerned there are no experts or newbies, novices etc. I've been around since day one and grew up building models that had a dozen parts and the chassis was attached with screws, (I'm 62) Clunky for sure but I was proud of them. So whether you've built one or are an accomplished scratch builder, follow your own path, jump in and say Hi, we figure if you want to pursue large scale modeling you are part of the family and more than welcome to show us what you are or would like to build. If you'll trust me on this, you'll find that the accomplished seasons old dogs here are more than willing to help you with your models (if you need it) and answer your questions as best we can.
    We really don't care how many other other sites you are a member of or if you build boats, planes etc. rather than cars. We prefer large scale....but hey, if you just don't have the space for large scale, strut your models anyway.....we'll guide you to the proper section of the forum if you need help. Welcome to the forum.
    So get off that couch and have some fun......that's what we are about.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 07-23-10 at 09:40 AM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I started building as a small boy, now I'm huge!

Member of IPMS Introduce Yourself Seattle. Used to have a hobby shop called Webster Supply.
    Been away from modeling for decades.
    This site is to blame for getting me back into it.

I recieved a Pocher Rolls Royce in 1972, it was stolen in 1974.
    I bought a prebuilt trasher of the kit with the intention of redoing it properly.
    Eight years later I'm sneaking up on it. Built the Pocher Bugatti engine to
    sharpen my skills, a deep learning experiance. I truly love when you cannot tell if it is a scale version or the full size thing in a photograph. Been working on my photography skills also. Now am building a 1:6 Revell Introduce Yourself 426 street hemi, have some real challanges with the carbs, but that is how we learn. Adapt, improvise and overcome.

All of you rock, some due to skill, some due to curage, some by the fact that you think WAY out of the box.

We are in this together. I am honored to count myself a part of this august group.
    Last edited by Tage; 02-06-09 at 08:20 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I hear ya loud and clear Tage.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hi, I'm Jeff Himan and I got here a month after SMC was started. I originally started building model cars and planes when I was 6. My models then were a few pieces of plastic in a sea of cement. As a teenager, I started getting into kit bashing Introduce Yourself and then stopped building for a while. About 15 years ago I started collecting die cast models.I started up building models again this last juncture because I could no longer find the cars I wanted so I started building my own. Through the gracious help and encouragement of several members of this great site, I increased my skills. At present, I am working on a 1/6 scale model of Lil Coffin. I hope to have it finished sometime before the year 3000.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Hi, my name's Steve. I like long walks on the beach with a nice model. Model car that is. But seriously, I started building models as a youngster. I can't really remember when. I've always been fascinated with cars, although I have built a few planes, and several rockets. I've built my fair share of glue bombs, and got into kitbashing as a teenager. I got into large scale when I got a '32 Ford kit. I built it box stock Introduce Yourself , and then later took it apart to build a scale version of a Boyd Coddington hotrod. I still haven't finished that one. I had been out of building for a long time while I went to college, but it was art school, so I got to build models of my designs. I've recently gotten the building bug again, and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it in my apartment. It makes it more difficult when you don't have a basement or garage to work in. But anyway, my current project is a 1/8th Ferrari Testarossa motor kit from Pocher.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by strevo View Post
    Hi, my name's Steve. I like long walks on the beach with a nice model.
    -Steve
    Wheres that infraction button!!!????

Thanks guys lets keep this rolling. Forums are discussion's not just resources. You gotta post and share or it's going to die out.

Ive made some pretty major changes to the site so lets use them.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 02-07-09 at 07:32 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I arrived here about three years ago after being kicked off another site. I'm 63 and have been building models since I was 12 years old. I've never finished one, but hope that before going to the other side I'll get one done.

I've been in and out of the hobby several times. The first time "out" was when I was 14 years old and I traded all my models and my brand new CCM single speed (it was a Xmas present from my parents) for a 45 inch Harley in a bunch of box's. I never got it running nor did I ever get another bike from my parents.

I got back into the hobby and built but never finished any models. The next time out of the hobby was when my first wife gave me an ultimatum. She said something about "building our relationship" was more important than building those silly models. So, once again I got out of the hobby, for as long as it took to deal with a divorce. I mean really, a guys got priorities..............right?

Moving ahead to the present. I joined this site about three years ago. For some unknown reason Garrett took me under his wing and for the first time in many years I've started building again and getting involved in the management of this site. By the way, I did eventually complete the relationship course and my current wife actually understands this odd part of my life. What she dosen't understand though, (and I've been told that some of you also don't understand) is why I'm building a Pocher Bugatti, a Riva Aquamarina, three MF Willys, an MF T and an R/M Deuce. I've actually given some thought to checking Ebay for another 45 inch Harley in an attempt to get myself out of this delema.

Seriously, since arriving here, I've met a bunch of great modellers, we are truely a community. I continue to learn from you and you challenge me to build a better model. The talent here, along with the SMC fraternety is truely amazing and I'm proud to be a member. Thanks to all of you for shareing your modelling experiences with the rest of us.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. John's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    John
    My info,
    My name is John Ford. I live in Australia. Tasmania to be exact. I am soon to be 53. I started modelling at around 8 years old. I began modelling drag cars and went on to military subjects. I was exposed to females alcohol Introduce Yourself and fast cars and left modelling behind for a few years ( as you do). I spent some years involved with the Army (a beneficial experience) and decided to follow the family background (engineering) this didnt work for me at the time! How I wish it did now! I currently work part time at a training college. The rest of my time is spent in modelling or satisfying the "honey doo list". I have built a number of Pocher kits and have 3 on the bench at the moment plus a 1/12 Maserati 250F by Total Model ( dont buy one!) which I will be posting as a work in progress Introduce Yourself . I have posted (in the members gallery) my build of a Type 35 Bugatti in brass which I am pleased with. I make some of my income from model building and hope to expand that in the future. Modelling has enabled me to travel,make an income and meet like minded individuals.
    The internet has revolutionised our "hobby" and I would like to thank "Scalemotorcars" , "Don Garrett" ,"Hot Ford Coupe", " Miked" , and particularly "Modelmaker", a good friend. Well I could go on for some time.............. thank goodness!
    Well done all of you and particularly for the sharing of information...it's invaluable.....please keep it up!
    My very best regards
    John
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Hello, my name is Ken, I am a recovering model builder. Like many of you I was addicted at an early age building plastic models out of the box. Then the next step; kit bashing Introduce Yourself , mostly cars models. I went on a leave of absence for three years while in the Marines to get the G.I. Bill to go to college. Many of my technical skills were learned as a helicopter structural mechanic. Then onto college where my model making addiction was further reinforced by my course of study as an industrial designer. Not only did we have to design products, but we also had to make models of them. I was one of four students selected to be on the Clean Air Car Competition Team in 1970. Primarily because of my model building skills and knowledge of automobiles. We designed and built a full scale functioning car from scratch and took the best design award at the GM proving grounds in Michigan.

My working career further reinforced the addiction designing and building product prototypes, eventually I had the prototyping model shop reporting to me. We evolved from the hand drawings through the early CAD systems eventualy using Pro-E 3D Cad modelling to develop stereolithograhy models when not size constrained. Throughout the working career I worked with my son and daughter building various school projects and models. I built RC airplanes and my son flew them. I learned quickly that I was a better builder than flyer.

Eventually my disatisfaction with kits offered or lack of kits for subjects I wanted to build drove me into scratch building. Now I am a full blown addict with no dependency upon kit manufacturers. I have assembled a modest shop with table top machines and have be blessed to have my work seen and resulting in commissions by Fine Art Models. I have become well versed in working with brass as required for some planes and helicopters that I have built, but also work in all the other mediums as well. I have done all this on my own and am self taught learning many of my skills by trial and error.

My personal philosophy is that God is in the details and that is what drives me to build models as accurately as humanly possible to the real subjects.

Yes I am a recovering model builder and have been addicted almost 62 years now.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Some of you fellows ( youngster or older than dirt) are probably thinking by now....Good Golly, these guys are way out of my league! That's not the case at all.....so forget all that. The important thing to remember is that even though these guys are skilled masters at what they do, they are here because they are passionate about what they do and realizing that everyone has to start somewhere are more than willing to help, advise or just encourage you. NO ONE on this site feels that a box built kit has any less merit than a total scratch build Introduce Yourself . After all it's going to be up to younger guys to carry large scale modeling into the future......so let's hear from some of you beginner's even if it's your first attempt at building a biggie. We'll see to it that you know you are among friends and do everything we can to to help you avoid making some of the same mistakes we have...in my case more than once.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. blackwolf's Avatar Member
    Name
    Dennis
    Hi, my name is Dennis Graff. I'm from Colorado. My dad cursed me with the car disease at an early age. I was obsessed with models, and by age 8, I had about 100 or so built. Alas, one day I came home to find them all destroyed by the neighbor kids. I was devastated, and started working on real cars instead. It became a career that I love, but I always dabble with the little guys. I stumbled on to this site, and was amazed at the talented individuals here. The large scale stuff fascinates me because of the greater detail that can be incorporated. So, here I am, kind of new to it all again!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Welcome to the site, Blackwolf. Glad to see you found us. This is a great place to pick up where you left off. Feel free to post and show off whatever you do.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello folks,

I'm new in the forum and just want to give some information about my person.
    I am from Germany and 45 years of age. Started modelling as a kid and stopped this hobby when I grew up. Restarted four years ago with R/C planes and got two birds right now.
    I recently bought a Pocher K 82 in poorly assembled condition, which is waiting for restauration to high quality standard by using scratch-built parts and transkits.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15