Close

Thread: getting started

1. FrankieG's Avatar Member
    Name
    frank
    Hi i would like to introduce myself i am ex vet and i have only just started doing models and detailing them. This is part of my therapy for my severe PTSD and i would like to build a Sir Tim Birkin's famous single seater from scratch using a 1:12 blower kit. So if anybody has any blue prints or complete pictures to help build and yes any advice on how to start. Thank you for letting me join the group.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    You might want to start by looking at my thread, it should help you avoid some of the pitfalls of what happened to the car and when. Good luck - I'm looking forward to seeing another one!

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...le-seater.html
    Last edited by Jo NZ; 04-15-19 at 11:21 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    FrankieG, Welcome aboard! I too am a veteran (Vietnam) and back in the day started model building as a form of pain management and it works. And since you are scratch building I will give you an unabashed plug for my book "Model Building with Brass" get the 2nd edition. I am sure it may have some useful information for you. Again welcome aboard and good luck with your build and am looking forward to updates.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Frank, excellent choice! -do check out Jo's build! -he has done some excellent work and the research to support it!

getting started-driving-ex-birkin-blower_01-2-jpg

The above is an early picture, probably taken upon first assembly. It is painted blue, and has several features that disappeared as the car was developed further.

The below picture is of the car, as seen in the seventies, with the removal of the green two seat conversion, and again sporting its original body and colour.

getting started-img_6816-2-jpg

Like all cars that are raced, there are many details that come and go, it started life with a fabric body, I assume green, then came the blue aluminium one that you see above, -that was soon repainted red.

Jo has formed a time-line of owners and of the evolution of this fascinating car. -I too hope that you will proceed with your desire to make a model of this very worthy subject.

Looking forward to your posts!

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-22-19 at 07:03 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. FrankieG's Avatar Member
    Name
    frank
    getting started-20190324_211713-jpg
    this is just the start but i need to tidy up a bit more.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6