Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 02-02-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

As I mentioned before, I've suspended my Big Red Deuce Tribute thread and decided to do the build a whole different way. Instead of the Big Deuce clone, I decided to make the model as a highboy with the Olds engine, a medium light metallic My New Big Deuce. blue paint job and leather bucket seats, leather side panels and black carpeting. Included here is a picture of one of the seats. The side panels will have the same type of treatment as the seat. This thing should really sparkle. Here's the seat. Hope you like.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Looks like you are off to a great start. How about some of the "In Process Build" pictures on upolstery work.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Now thats sharp Jeff...Nice work
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for the kind words.
    Hey Ken. A few years ago, I did a tutorial called The Fully Upholstered Auto Interior which shows how I did the seat. I included both tuck and roll and diamond tufted seats. If you search the title I highlighted in red, you should be able to find it. If you can't find it, I'll help you out. The next step in that tutorial is making the side panels. I haven't gotten to that stage yet but when I do, I'll add to that tutorial.

My New Big Deuce.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I have used your tutorial on upholstered interiors a bunch of times over the last couple of years for my race cars. Big help, thanks Jeff.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Thanks guys for the kind words.
    Hey Ken. A few years ago, I did a tutorial called The Fully Upholstered Auto Interior which shows how I did the seat. I included both tuck and roll and diamond tufted seats. If you search the title I highlighted in red, you should be able to find it. If you can't find it, I'll help you out. The next step in that tutorial is making the side panels. I haven't gotten to that stage yet but when I do, I'll add to that tutorial.
    I'm really happy I was able to be of some help. A fully upholstered interior really makes a model sparkle. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do and requires a lot of practice and a ton of remakes but the results can be well worth the effort.

I might as well do a short update on my progress. I haven't got any new pictures yet but I'm getting to that point really quickly. I've taken apart all of the brass work, polished it and repainted the axles, the frame and gas tank Duplicolor Bahama Blue which is a shade or two darker than what I wanted but it still looks like a great color. Both seats are done, the floor pan is remade and I'm working on the rumble seat My New Big Deuce. . I'll take a few pics when I've polished some of the painted parts so you can see the new color. It looks a heck of a lot better than that old red.

My New Big Deuce.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    Jeff always loved your work and glad your back at this build! I have a lot of interior work to do on both "Munster Rod" builds.
    I will use your tutorial as well. Thanks Jeff for reminding us about that tutorial!

Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    No problem, Gary. I'd love to see the work on the interiors when you get it done. If you need any extra info, don't hesitate to ask.

My New Big Deuce.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I had a major setback yesterday. There were just too many defects in the paint on the frame to leave it alone. I was using an old can of Plastikote lacquer My New Big Deuce. but I think it was just too old. I'm going to sand My New Big Deuce. it down, smooth it out and repaint it Tamiya My New Big Deuce. Light Metallic My New Big Deuce. Blue. It's pretty much the same color but I think it will be a bit more user friendly. It happens. Back to the bench.

My New Big Deuce.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've got the new paint but it's been a bit too cold to spray at the spray booth. No problem, I just have to wait another day or two for the basement to warm up. Then it's on to the Light Metallic My New Big Deuce. Blue from Tamiya My New Big Deuce. .

My New Big Deuce.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    A few years ago, I did a tutorial called The Fully Upholstered Auto Interior which shows how I did the seat.
    I did the interior from the Toronado and Avanti my way. However, I saw your turorial some time ago; it will be helpful when I'm that far with the Continental. By the way, I like your seat!
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Roger. I'm glad you like the seat. My way by far is not necessarily the best way to do the job. It's just another way to "skin the cat". I try to use materials that you can get virtually anywhere Like Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby or any other similar places on the other sides of the ponds. I used to hate when a tutorial talked about materials that were way too expensive or way too hard to find or get a hold of. Sometimes you could find a substitute but most of the time a you was just out of luck. I figure that if I try to stay as basic as I can, it can benefit more builders.

My New Big Deuce.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are welcome! You have probably less difficulties to find the appropriate leather for a 1/8 scale than for 1:12. The grain from the leather on your seat would probably not be acceptable on a seat 1:12. This is my biggest problem with leather; I doubt that leather from mouses or other very small animals is available!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Roger. I actually did use some for 1/12 seats I made. It was very smooth and smoothed out more when I skipped it as thin as I could. I just stretched it a slight bit and it worked. I also have some leather that even if I thin it out and stretch it, it would look like the 1/8 seat was upholstered in Brontosaurus skin.

My New Big Deuce.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, for some fine leather to work with in scale check out women's fine dress gloves which i s goat skin; or another option is Model Motor Cars which sells sheet of fine leather used in the Pocher community.
    Here is a link

http://model-motorcars.myshopify.com...s/real-leather
    Last edited by xken; 02-28-15 at 08:36 PM.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #15