Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 4.67 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-26-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Howdy gang, I haven't posted in a while.....simply because TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod keeps me pretty busy and I had to go through the cultural shock of being retired.
      I figured when I hung up my torches and put the tools away I'd have all kinds of time to tinker with models....yeah right.
      Overnite the honey do list quadrupled along with it being the time of year for car shows etc.

Oh well, so much for living the life of Riley.

A while back, Rick sent me a TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod XK engine and said build this.
      Okay, I'll build it but don't expect a period correct build........nobody sez it can't be a hot Shade Tree Hot Rod rod right?

I'm going to build this one for the sheer enjoyment of building....my way, call it therapy if you like. :)'
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I started this build on another site so here's a few pics of where I'm at with the TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod engine.
    YES...the exhaust is upside down, I'm considering using 2 turbos and I would have to run the plumbing Shade Tree Hot Rod over the covers.....the engine is long enough without running that stuff in front or behind the block.

I used the chrome valve covers from an R/M Jag kit.
    Added acorn nuts to the valley
    Added a cut down TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod 426 oil filter....I'll also be replacing the generator with a 426 alternator

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Welcome back ol buddy. Its good to see you posting and building again. I look forward to it.

I forget who said it but Ive always stood by this quote. """Dare to be different""""
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Don, glad to see you back. I've missed you around here. I hope you were able to see the light we left for you in the window. I'm also glad to see TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod doing so well. I guess that you found out when you retire, you actually wind up busier than when you worked. Who the heck said retirement was easy anyway.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah, it's a little different than I had thought Jeff. I had visions of fishing, hunting, trips and all that. Well I'm fished out (for now) and living out of a suitcase isn't my cup tea either.

Anyhow, I had planned to use my C-cab body on this build but a couple of TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod projects took priority over getting it cast in time to use. Rather than let this project collect dust I decided to build a one off Shade Tree Hot Rod body for it.

My first thoughts were to cobble up something like the Beatnik Bandit body, however I was flipping through some old issues of Hot Shade Tree Hot Rod Rod and this caught my eye....it resembles a Hack and as luck would have it it's running a Jag engine.
    Not sure why, but I like it....it just screams home built Hot Shade Tree Hot Rod Rod.
    Using it as inspiration I'll be building my own version, besides I haven't done much with wood lately and it'll be fun to build the body from scratch.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    At this point, I'm not sure that twin turbos would be "appropriate" for this build. It would look cool but I'm concerned that all that hi-tech plumbing Shade Tree Hot Rod might look out of place with the termite candy.
    What do you guys think? 3 or 6 deuce's with stacks, 6 one barrels, a couple of small four barrels.....maybe a blower hangin' off the side. Six stacks with six individual exhaust pipes would be entertaining.

Thoughts anyone?

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 05-27-10 at 12:22 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I like it!!!

We were out for a drive about 2 months back and ran across a fully restored Model T Woodie just like this. Somewhere Ive got pics.

And I agree the twin turbos would make it to 80's rod. Not really in style with the photo you posted.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Blowers have been sticking up through hoods long enough, why not turbos?
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Don, glad you mentioned the Jag engine, I do have the SU Carb setup and a set of the velocity stacks shown in the picture if you need reference photos.

Also when will TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod do the SU Carb setup? I have forwarded your engine photos around our Jag club members and their resistance to purchase is the fact that you only offer the Webers which was not original nor the best performance for this engine. The Webers were good for show but not for go. Back in the day Weber gave setups to race drivers to try; took photos for marketing purposes; but the rest of the story was they just did not match the performance of the original SU's. Now they were another story on the Ferraris and I am sure a deal was cut for Ferrari to use them.

They also had comments about the exhaust manifolds being too square than round and a few other details. Send me a PM xken@sssnet.com I think I can help with the authenticy issues if interested.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    One vote for old school: Log manifold with four 94's and boat intakes, six straight pipes off the other side.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    One vote for old school: Log manifold with four 94's and boat intakes, six straight pipes off the other side.
    I'm liking the sound of that O.B.H.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Don, I'll be happy to toss in as many metal 94's as you need. Ive got scoops also....
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks Dan.....sounds like a winner.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Hi. I would say a scott blower hanging down low on the intake side of the engine. Could run a couple of '97s on that. Flat black tubing for the manifold. A spindly exposed shaft and 3 v-belt drive arrangement.
    Could even have exposed gearing on the ends of the blower case. I would paint the blower case aluminium. Just a lot of contrasting ( silvers, blacks and different sheens ) colors.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I started mocking up the frame so I could make cross-members and mounts......oppppps!
    Looks like I'm going to have to shorten the oil can quite a bit more or go with a remote filter set-up as I want the engine to set as low in the frame as possible.
    Just one of those little gremlins that pop up when you are building outside the box.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-12-10 at 12:52 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15