Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 4.67 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-26-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Howdy gang, I haven't posted in a while.....simply because TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod keeps me pretty busy and I had to go through the cultural shock of being retired.
      I figured when I hung up my torches and put the tools away I'd have all kinds of time to tinker with models....yeah right.
      Overnite the honey do list quadrupled along with it being the time of year for car shows etc.

Oh well, so much for living the life of Riley.

A while back, Rick sent me a TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod XK engine and said build this.
      Okay, I'll build it but don't expect a period correct build........nobody sez it can't be a hot Shade Tree Hot Rod rod right?

I'm going to build this one for the sheer enjoyment of building....my way, call it therapy if you like. :)'

Shade Tree Hot Rod
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I have no idea what the term "rat rod" means these days, folks call Tri-5 bow-ties "shoe boxes" when actually (at least in the day) the term "shoe box" refers to '49-50's Ford.

The term Rat Rod has over the years become a "culture" and in my mind the cars, many (not all) have become rolling (unsafe) junk sculptures......just my opinion.

Used to be a rat rod was a treasure you found rusting in someones garage or back yard.
    It might even have had a few mice or rats living in it.
    Money was tight for most in those days so the finds were rebuilt/repaired by shade tree Shade Tree Hot Rod mechanics (hot rodders). Lack of funds meant you had to fabricate or use what was available.
    It did not mean bolting coffee cans on top of a carb or duct tape holding up fuel lines.
    I've heard folks call very nicely built rods "rat rods" simply because the car was running in primer Shade Tree Hot Rod with body work in process.

So, am I building a rat rod, retro-rod or hot Shade Tree Hot Rod rod? I just don't know these days.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I drilled some oversize holes in the frame rails.

Cut a few short lengths of tubing......

The tubing will be sanded flush with the frame rails, filled and sanded.

When glued in place, the round tubing in the holes will actually make the frame stronger and less likely to twist or distort.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    The frame looks great!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks....:)' but the down side is I've got 28 holes to clean up and there will be more in the X-members, etc.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Holey hole in the T frame Batman !!
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I like the speed holes!

"Rat rod" used to mean unfinished, then the "culture" took over and now it doesn't mean much of anything. Today's rats would have been laughed out of the drive-in back in the day. I can see building a patina'd or primered rod, but some of this deliberately-hillbilly stuff is too much.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't think I've ever heard 'em called "speed holes" before.....cool.
    Just a couple of update pics......
    This build is deciding what it wants to be as it goes along. I usually have a pretty good idea of what the finished car wants to be, but this one is just plain fun.
    I've decided to use the QC rear from a big T kit, no buggy spring however. I'll being fabbing up a coil/shock absorber rear suspension (no, not coil-over). I'm not going to kit bash the front suspension...I have something a little different in mind for it.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Lookin' great Don! I like what you did with the chassis.... The motor looks cool also.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Oldspeed's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Marynus
    Your chassis looks nice! I like the holes..
    Rey
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks for the kudos guys...it's appreciated.
    Started gathering up parts (and de-chroming) to get a handle on what I can kit bash or scrounge from the parts box. The rest of what I need I'll have to cobble up best I can.
    I'm using the W/W big & little's from the latest Big "T" kit. I'll have to fill these tires with floral foam or something to keep them from sagging (flat spots) over time. They are kind of flimsy compared to the old Monogram semi-pneumatic, painted W/W tires.

I found a couple of coil springs for the rear in an old defunct printer.....lots of cool parts for 1/8th builds inside the junk most folks just toss in the trash.
    I cut the closed drive shaft tube off the kit "T" as I'll be using TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod U-joints and aluminum tubing for the the shaft.

I'll probably replace the kit radius rods and shocks with long traction bars and working shocks.
    I'll use the kit brake drums and backing plates.

Disc brakes on the front (I'm going to open up drilled rotor holes a little more).

Started piecing together a log manifold for the carbs.....I had intended to use 6 single barrels but didn't want to have to build 6 of 'em.
    6-2 barrels won't fit......5 looks goofy, so I settled on four, that's plenty for a six in a row anyway.

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Lookin' cool!! Are those rotors from TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod ???
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    Coming along pretty well!
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces-wild View Post
    Lookin' cool!! Are those rotors from TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod ???
    No, Guido they are not TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod . Got anything going on your bench these days?

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Yeah!... I was thinkin' about jumpin' in with that Deuce kit I barely started on a while back... How would that be??? I've spent alot of time looking for some ideas (from you know where) to ge me motivated.. I'll get started on it real soon. :)' By the way... Nice job on that "T"
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 06-26-10 at 10:19 AM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Just havin' some fun as this "termite candy" build is simply therapy for me and gives me an opportunity to hands on evaluate some of the TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod goodies. Whenever I start getting burned out on the Cuda I tinker with this.

I'm thinking I'm going to need some eye candy (just for giggles) to display this car with.
    TDR Shade Tree Hot Rod is sending me a "Strevo" mastered resin Shade Tree Hot Rod surf board & I'll make a couple of fishing poles to strap to the roof.
    I had an old MiniCraft "Rocket" steam engine gathering dust...don't remember what scale it was.
    I took it apart because I could see the "bones" of one of those tow behind BBQ smokers hiding under all that Rail Road stuff.

I'll convert this to a smoker on a trailer.....like I said "havin' fun".

Shade Tree Hot Rod
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #31