Close

A little Big Deuce Help
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

A little Big Deuce Help A little Big Deuce Help A little Big Deuce Help A little Big Deuce Help A little Big Deuce Help
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-10-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Box Stock Attribution

New member here---I have been very impressed with the Forum particularly how eager members are to help one another. I poured through threads regarding Big deuce builds and I am a bit overwhelmed. Specifically, I just bought an original Monogram yellow Big Deuce kit---some 50 years after I built my first 1:8 kit--a Big Drag. I have built numerious Pocher kits but just need to do a Deuce. I'm doing the High Boy version---with some minor modifications (and questions) as follows:
      1. I plan on de-chroming a number of parts and wonder if Clorox--Coke--or Easy-off oven cleaner works best?
      2. I plan on leaving the body and frame stock Classic Yellow. This just goes against every "Modelers Bone" in my body but I just love that color--please weigh in on my anxiety and if there is anything I can do to enhance the original finish (jeweler rouge -- plastic polish) I will sand A little Big Deuce Help and polish all of the sprue A little Big Deuce Help marks.
      3. I have to change out the wheels and tires. I'd like black-walls--front and rear and in particular I would love to have slicks on the back. Wheels---I'm thinking steel or chrome-reversed. I believe the wheels from the Big T would work but I really haven't seen them without buying a kit (not in my budget). please point me in a direction or let me know if you have something in your boneyard that would work.
      4. I'm thinking I'll keep the Pontiac engine but would really like to convert it to a dual quad blower set-up. I might do a tricked out flathead as well. Again--any advise on locating these items would be MUCH appreciated!!
      I'm sure I'll have questions as I get thru the build but this should help get me on my way--------Thanks in advance!!!
      Jerry

p.s.--I plan to post pics as I get thru the process

A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg

A little Big Deuce Help
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Well--the build is underway! Ironically----I had to buy another body due to an un-repairable crack---found a yellow one on eBay--and when it arrived--it was beige from a re-issue kit. Long story short--I built a paint booth (which brought back sooo many memories) -and found a great yellow paint (Testors #1632 Custom Bug Yellow). Now there will be no "Modelers" anxiety about going with the unpainted body (it's just me--lol). Started on the motor--- primer A little Big Deuce Help --- putty A little Big Deuce Help to fill the unwanted seams---more primer A little Big Deuce Help ---de-chroming the transmission---more primer A little Big Deuce Help ------well you get the picture. Here are a couple of pics --pre paint. I'm also de-chroming the carbs--headers, distributor and the shift boot. I know chrome sets off any true Hot A little Big Deuce Help Rod, but I just don't get chrome carbs and transmissions. Sometimes ---- "less truly is more" IMHO. This will be a slow build but I'll try to update as we go.A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpgA little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg

A little Big Deuce Help
    Last edited by orfie26; 12-02-14 at 01:29 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello orfie,
    IMHO it is the better way to paint the body. It's true, that you can get some good shine on the original plastic parts with fine sanding A little Big Deuce Help and polishing. But how about bad fitting panels and sinkmarks?. Even the best kit needs some putty A little Big Deuce Help to clean up some imperfections. Got two recommendations for you: First one is to test and improve your skills with spraypaint, doesn't matter if rattle can or airbrush A little Big Deuce Help . This forum gives a lot of hints in this case. The second piece of advice is your local body shop, doing paint jobs on real cars. Some of them will brush your model perfectly for little money and leave good results.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    You can repair imperfections with ground up spruce dissolved in liquid, if you just have to have the bare plastic, but the bigger it is, the longer it takes to fully dry, and you get more shrinkage.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Putting the finishing touches on the motor and pre-fitting it onto the chassis. Here are a few pics of my progress. Next steps--- putty A little Big Deuce Help and re-paint the distributor and strip some phone line to get yellow plug wires.A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpgA little Big Deuce Help-image-jpgA little Big Deuce Help-image-jpgA little Big Deuce Help-image-jpgA little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg

A little Big Deuce Help
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. LittleCobra's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Willem
    Why do all the available upgrades seem to either fall in 1/8 or 1/16? I am trying to find similar items in my scale which is 1/12 but this seems to be the redheaded stepchild of custom scale modeling.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey orfie. I'm glad to see someone doing an old Big Deuce. Way back when the site was in its infancy, that was the model that brought a lot of us together. To this day, it still remains my favorite model of all time. Check out the how to sections from the early days of the site and you should find a bunch of tutorials that will help you get a great result. I haven't built a Deuce in a long time. I think I'll take a crack at one in the near future.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCobra View Post
    Why do all the available upgrades seem to either fall in 1/8 or 1/16? I am trying to find similar items in my scale which is 1/12 but this seems to be the redheaded stepchild of custom scale modeling.
    I feel your pain---after years of building 1/8 scale Pocher Ferrari's with an unlimited supply of transkits----it's been humbling trying to customize a 1960's Monogram Big Deuce. With a little research--I found this site and suppliers like eDeuce.com and Scaledetails.com --- both on eBay by simply searching the scale I wanted. There are a ton of scratch building tutorials on this site that have been presented by some amazingly talented folks. Good Luck!!!

A little Big Deuce Help
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Hey orfie. I'm glad to see someone doing an old Big Deuce. Way back when the site was in its infancy, that was the model that brought a lot of us together. To this day, it still remains my favorite model of all time. Check out the how to sections from the early days of the site and you should find a bunch of tutorials that will help you get a great result. I haven't built a Deuce in a long time. I think I'll take a crack at one in the near future.
    Hey Hot A little Big Deuce Help Rod Ford ---- I have checked out those tutorials and have learned a ton ---- THANK YOU for your contributions and those of many others!!!! I have made some progress with my Deuce ----- finished up the chassis and the interior uphostery and will post some pics shortly. I do have two questions. First---I would like to find an acryllic display case. I don't think building one is an option for me. So far, I found one on Displays2go.com for $150 (almost what I have in my car). I'm wondering if any members build cases or if there are other alternatives to Displays2go.com? Secondly, I'd like to do a customized license plate -- so far I've found Acme---but can't seem to manage the scale or figure out how to print the plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A little Big Deuce Help
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Put the finishing touches on the motor----stripped some phone line for the yellow wire and scratch built A little Big Deuce Help the wire collectors. Did some more de-chroming on some of the chassis parts and body filled the seams. Prime and paint next up.

A little Big Deuce Help
    Attached Images Attached Images A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg 
    Last edited by orfie26; 01-29-15 at 05:17 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Looking Good buddy
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Nice job on the engine.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    More piccs of the chassis as it nears completion----again---emphasis was places on de-chroming!

A little Big Deuce Help
    Attached Images Attached Images A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm the same way. I have to dechrome just about everything and redo it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Just finished the interior and trunk upholstery and carpet work. Here are a couple pics. Kinda bummed with the pic quality----doesn't really show the leather texture on the roll and pleating----looks like it's painted black but it's leather. Want to give Stephane Pedaggi at Scale Details a shout out for supplying the leather and carpet!!!

A little Big Deuce Help
    Attached Images Attached Images A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. orfie26's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jerry
    Forgot to post these pre-final coat pics. Filled all the unwanted holes--sanded--primed--sanded--well you know the story. Made a lot of progress the last few days and was able to made a real ROOKIE mistake while cutting out the trunk. YEP--cut right through one on the trunk hinges. Had to de-construct the body, chassis and front seat to get to the damage---then paint and install an extra hinge that (fortunately) Mike Gradis at eDeuce was kind enough to include when I purchased the body from him. WHEW!!!! Hopefully I'll be back at tomorrow.

A little Big Deuce Help
    Attached Images Attached Images A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg  A little Big Deuce Help-image-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31