Close

Monogram 32
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Monogram 32 Monogram 32 Monogram 32 Monogram 32 Monogram 32
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monogram 32

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-27-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Not sure yet if my entry will be a show rod or just a best efforts kit but I have a question about the Pontiac engine. There is a feature just above the kit water outlet that looks to be the original real water outlet. Seems funny to leave this feature on the model if it is not in use. Can some of you rodders enlighten me as to whether there is something else this is used for before I glue this mess together.

Monogram 32

Build Photos

Monogram 32-32-engine-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I think Dan may have some but I don't know when he can get it out. I've been using picture hanging wire with a tight braid. It looks pretty good.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    That looks way too big for a heater hose outlet, every one I have seen are only 3/4 inch wide. I have seen plenty too, my old man has owned his own radiator shop for as long as I can remember. I worked there part time all through high school and most week ends in primary school too.
    It has me a little confused.....
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I know. Maybe it's a snorkel valve outlet. It could happen. :confused:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Just got a set of Dan's new spark plugs! Big difference over the old castings. Good going Dan - can't wait to see the rest of your new cast activity.

The one on the left is from the kit (plastic), the one in the middle is old style (painted), the one on the right is new style with associated nut (which I don't plan to use.)

Monogram 32
    Attached Images Attached Images Monogram 32-spark-plugs-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Wish I had not glued the heater hose before docwatson1938 reminded me heater hoses are about 1/3 the size of water pump hoses. Im not a mechanic!

The heater hose is way too big and not pliable enough to bring over the generator and down into the frame rail. Anyone else playing with this idea should use a much smaller hose poked inside the engine feature.

Now that I see that the frame hides the generator and starter wiring I may want to make this a highboy instead of a full fender street rod.

I am holding up on frame modifications and scratch building IRS and IFS till I see what Dan is coming up with for front and rear suspension ideas. If we buy a lot of after market parts to modify our deuces it might further show the manufacturers there is a market.

Monogram 32
    Attached Images Attached Images Monogram 32-engine-generator-jpg  Monogram 32-engine-starter-frame-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Syd

Dan already has an excellent IFS that you can order now. He and Don are working on an IRS that hopefully (I need two now) will be ready soon. Also, if you look back at some of Don's work, you'll see some pictures of an IRS that he's mocked up. Its not that hard to build your own, especially if you have some pieces from a Jag kit.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Syd, that's a great job on the engine. I like how the hoses came out. Even the heater hose looks great.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Ditto! l:l:l:
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd...there was no mail delivery Sat. so look for your parts on Mon. I tossed in some extra stuff, you should be well on your way. Your engine looks great.l:
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Actually, the heater hoses look about right, but the radiator hoses are too small. Remember that even though heater hoses have a nominal diameter of 1/2~3/4 inch, the wall thickness brings them up to over an inch OD. If your hoses are around 1/8 inch (and it looks like they are), then they're spot-on l:

The radiator hoses should be around two inches, or 1/4 inch in scale. Same size as the exhaust pipes.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Ouch - you are right. Now I gottta review what this does to the model. The models in the gallery didn't look like they had 1/4" hoses but I would like to be scaled properly so will get some 1/4 and try it.

Monogram 32
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    You were right "Old Busted". 1/4" water hose looks more to scale. Too bad I had filed the connections down for the old hose The larger hose gave me a chance to add screws to the clamps like Dr Dave did for his motorcycle engine. Just wish I knew how he did it. Took two days, frustration, cussing, etc. and I still didn't get the tight fit I wanted.

Monogram 32
    Attached Images Attached Images Monogram 32-hose-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Syd,
    I see you are having trouble with getting your hose clamps tight. From what i can see in that nice photo you've done a pretty good job there l: The way i got my clamps tight was to bend them around the hose then take them off and squeeze up the bend just slightly all round so it's a little too small for the hose. Add the screw in its little case, then slip the clamp over the hose and the springiness of the clamp should keep it tight. To make sure it stays tight you can use a pin to put a tiny drop of superglue where the clamp overlaps itself under the screw after the clamp has been put on the hose. Hope this helps.
    Dr Dave.:)
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Great engine work Sydeem. I can't wait to see what the rest of the deuce looks like.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    In over my head

This scratch building gets complicated. Worrying about interfacing with all the goodies Dan is coming up with I tried scratch building a 4 point rear end suspension for the stock kit QC with coil over shocks (from tutorial for same.) Then I tried to drop the floor pan on Oh Oh .

The floor pan is recessed under the seats. What are you guys that are doing fancy frame boxes planning for the floor pan? Do you plan to chop and add a flat section between kit ends? Anybody have pictures in the gallery of a finished model with IRS showing the solution?

I guess the IFS Dan has comes with a piece that that will overcome adding it to a stock frame model and even allow fenders but the rear end gets complicated. Also it looks like the exhaust will require tube bending skills or boiling plastic sprues for bending to get over the axil. Don't like the straight pipes from the kit - doubt a real car would hang exhaust from the rear axel for long without it rupturing at some joint,

Maybe we need a chassis thread to help us non-mechanics?

Monogram 32
    QUOTE QUOTE #31