Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-19-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This is where my deuce build will be garaged. I figured I'd get my lift space early. Here's the final scoop on the build. I'm starting from zero with a fresh kit. It's going to be a coupe but I'll be covering the coupe top and will make it look like a Carson top. I'm putting in the 59 Caddy engine with two 4 barrel carbs and no blower. The wheels will be removable so I can put on wires, mags or steelies with scratchbuilt hubcaps. If I can solve my gas tank dilemma, I'll channel the body, put in a rumble seat My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe and a fully upholstered interior. Pics to follow. More options to be added.

My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Wonderful job HFC!!!
    Keep on the good work & by all means try to bolt your frame...

Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Well done Jeff!! Are you going to extend the hood a bit? I'm curious, are you following an old Bradley design or is it your own? No matter, cause where ever it came from, YOU'VE NAILED IT!!

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for the great words of encouragement. As for the answers to the questions:

The front will definitely have fenders but I haven't decided exactly what their final shape will be. The shape of the rear fenders almost dictates more of a fat fender shape ala Cord/Talbot Lago style for the front rather than the cycle type. A little photoshop will help that. There will also be no running board.

The design of the body came from a lot of cars rather than one. In there is the Bugatti Atlantic, the fat fendered Fords, the Deusenberg, Cord and lead sled styling.

The hood definitely will be extended to match the angle of the rear of the hood and door shape. If I didn't do that, I'd severely limit the size of the engine bay. Since I'll be using a longer tranny than the flathead, I'll need as much room as I can get. Besides with all the slanted lines, the design necessitates a tilted back grill by extendint the bottom of the hood forward. I'll be using the modified serving spoon trick for the grill itself.

I'm also still deciding on the wheels. I'm leaning towards wire wheels and wide whites. Not sure if I'll use the slick. Again, thanks so much for the encouragement. It really gets me pushing the envelope.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Your deuce is looking cool, have a look at this link http://www.1motormart.com/gallery/38talb01.jpgregarding the shapeof the fenders.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    HFC.......if you have access to Wingrove's "The Complete Car Modeller" issue #2, there's excellent instructions for makeing fenders.......thats if you want to consider metal ones.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    As we speak, the two Wingrove books are waiting for me at Barnes and Noble. I'll be a happy modeler tonight.

Rob, that's a great picture. That's where I took the majority of my design. My deuce is very classically influenced. I took the roof and the grill design almost directly form that car. The rest like I said before is a combo of other vehicles. Thanks for the link Rob.l: l:

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Lose the slicks.......kinda outa' place on a car that classy. Just my opinion.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I agree Don. It will definitely look out of place on that kind of car. It'll also helpmmake the rear fender stick out less.

QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    O.k. now another update to my deuce. I was originally going to put in an Olds ingine into this build but I'm now in the middle of scratchbuilding a new engine that I think I can squeeze in a bit easier. Why the heck should I put GM parts into a 75 year old Ford design that we're trying to pay homage to? I didn't want to put in a flathead because that's too common. I didn't want to stick a big Ford engine into it either since it may be too big. I also wanted to do something completely different, not usual or common. I'm putting in a 361 cu. in. 303hp E400 Edsel mill. I'm in the middle of it now and will show progress shots as I go on.

QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Another update. I have the Edsel engine block without the oil pan done. I'm working on the heads now. They'll be bolted onto the block so I can take them off to show the details. The rocker covers will also be removable to show the pushrods, rockers and valves. The valves were made by cutting a brass disc about 2.5 mm in diameter soldered to a piece of brass rod. I put the piece into the dremel My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe and turned the valve. Pics to follow.

QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Sounds like a great idea Jeff. Please show us how you did that. Thank you!
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff, you've been talking to Supermodeler again, Huh?:D
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #73