Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-19-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This is where my deuce build will be garaged. I figured I'd get my lift space early. Here's the final scoop on the build. I'm starting from zero with a fresh kit. It's going to be a coupe but I'll be covering the coupe top and will make it look like a Carson top. I'm putting in the 59 Caddy engine with two 4 barrel carbs and no blower. The wheels will be removable so I can put on wires, mags or steelies with scratchbuilt hubcaps. If I can solve my gas tank dilemma, I'll channel the body, put in a rumble seat My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe and a fully upholstered interior. Pics to follow. More options to be added.

My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Looking real good! Don't think I have the courage to cut up my body though.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Syd. I don't like to cut up my body either because of all the pain and -----------Oh, you mean the deuce. :confused: Oooops . No seriously, with the technique Don described about moving the wheel wells and cutting off the lower body edge, it wasn't so scary as taking a chunk out of the middle. Very easy cuts. I also had a lot of encouragement over the last year from all the guys on the site which made the attempt easier.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nice job HFC....are you going to put the rolled lip back on the bottom edge?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Don, I think I may leave it off and relocate the lower door opening. I mocked it up with the stock frame and it looked pretty good. I'll round off the edge and go from there. Either that or I'll put on a much narrower lip if it starts to look goofy. Today I start on the coupe top. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    After much agony and agonizing, the coupe top is contoured up to look right. I just put a layer of styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe putty My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe on the last few large holes and will smooth those areas out tomorrow. Then I'll mock it up and shoot a couple of pics. It will look a bit strange because I haven't cut the window holes yet, just the windshield.

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's the coupe top by itself. I tried to capture a number of different styles of top rather than go strictly with and exact 40 coupe top. One of those styles comes from the classics. I'm also debating whether or not to cut off the bar at the bottom of the windshield. At least at this point it's a decent stabilizer.

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Nice work HFC, can't wait to see it on the deuce.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thats going to be cool HFC! How did you make the top?

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Believe me, Rick, it wasn't easy. First thing was to get a good set of measurements. Second, I cut out the sides from .80 thick styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe , made them exactly the same size and then bent them with heat to get the curves on the body. Then I fitted the pieces by careful trial and error trimming. Next, I took some .125 thick styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe , trimmed it with a template, heated and bent it to make the top and back and then joined it to the side pieces. I cemented some .250 x .250 square rod into the side joints and began to carve the top on a belt sander. I had to cut and trim some of the styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe and recement more sheet styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe as neded. I then made the windshield and glued that to the assembly and continued to carve until it was done. Periodically, I had to add scraps of plastic when I carved the corners a bit thin so I could continue shaping. I filled the defects with the styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe and Tenax paste and final carved. I still have to cut the windows, fill the tiny pits, carve the inside where the styrene My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe is too thick and then final sand My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe so it can be cemented onto the body. It was all done by trial and error and was tough because of all the complex curves. A standard deuced coupe top would be much easier because of the flatter surfaces but as usual I had to do it the hard way. I'm sure there must be a better way to do it like mastering the top and casting My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe it in resin My Hot Ford (Deuce) Coupe or cutting it out of brass and hammering it to shape. But NOOOOOO I had to go the hard route.

QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thanks for shareing that! Like so many others on this site, your work is inspirational. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Nice work Jeff ! I'd take out the Windsheld bar ?:confused:

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks so much for your gracious compliments Rick. I must say though that my work has been inspired and influenced by so many others who frequent this site. If it weren't for Scale Motorcars and guys like Keith 88 Proof, Dan Megard, Don Garrett, Steve Osborne and a large number of scratchbuilders and other members, (you all know who you are) who kept pushing me along when I didn't have the confidence to try new things, I'd never have gotten to the stage I'm at now. My goal is to constantly improve my skills to become the best modeler that I can be. The only one I'm in competition with is myself.

QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. ron_piet's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ron
    Looking already good, great job you have done on that top l:

Ron
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Way to go grasshopper.
    I had a big smile on my mug when I was reading your posts....yep, you took the long way home but as they say in the military "it's good training".
    By the way...you are no longer a novice scratch builder. You are now a bona fide concept to compliance plastic wizard.

I like the split back window but have to agree with Modelmaker...lose the front windshield bar...gets a little too fussy.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Great work Jeff, i can see a mean salt flats car there
    QUOTE QUOTE #31