Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-14-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi my first thread to post my new project " Munsters Dragula Car" I will be doing The Coach after I get a good start on the Dragula.

This Rod was by far my most favoured of all Rods back then next to the Coach and The Boot Hill Express (BTW when done with both Munster cars I will be doing The BootHill then.
      I'm also as needed doing The 289 Ford Cobra Engine for both builds so I hope to get molds done of all engine parts and as well maybe rear tires too.

I will start with plans which is chassis based on 25th scale model I have built.

I will try to post weekly as I dont have internet where I live so I use the Public Library.
      Thanks For looking Gary K
      Dragula 8th scale-dragula-022-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-003-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-004-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-001-jpg

Dragula 8th scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    [B]Hi in last post I mentioned getting the Heads from Don and as suspected they were even better that the pictures Don took but atlast I had to redo the finer points of the head bolt locations and I added some detail on the ends of the heads as well the intake pattern profile and the Valve cover profile on top and I did have to lengthen the heads a smidge on each side as well the Valve cover profile was added in length. These Heads really impressed me BIG time and fueled all the more the drive to push forword with great interest! [/B]
    [B]
    Guys I don't think of myself as an engine man at all so this being my first real atempt at an engine is really rewarding . I think it was the method I started this engine. They sure are alot of labour as well but well worth it.I'm getting ready to put the M/T finned Valve cover and head into silicone very soon so I have two parts of each to go forward with the intake manifold. (Dual Carb Cross Ram) [/B]

[B]
    Don I have to say I was also impressed with the way these parts were cast in Fiber Glass? Nice work if it was your handy work , Ive not worked with model parts cast that way. Made me think of how nice it was to change up materials instead of resin Dragula 8th scale
    . Don I'm keeping one of the heads you sent me as is just a reminder of your glass work and the other head is a master for the rubber mold. I see both an important part in my model making. You gave me Ideas too and of course many question about the Glass work. I should say Ive done some glass work in the Auto body shop I worked in years ago but could learn much more about the processes and materials as things change a bit over time.lol I better get back to this posting Don. Maybe we can email questions and answers about the glass work.[/B]
    [B]
    I finished the M/T Valve cover for the master and just have to wet sand Dragula 8th scale
    the gloss coat black and put one more coat on it and let it gas out for a week or so then I can put the head and valve cover into rubber mold. [/B]
    [B]I also did the Coffin Rad Don Mentioned in last post. and for Don I have picture of the little one 25th scale Rad in front of the BIGGIE! lol Ive got it painted black sandable primer Dragula 8th scale and will finish the top (coffin) in GOLD LEAF Dragula 8th scale to simulate brass work.I need to do a few odds and end details on the RAD before I paint the final flat black rad .[/B]
    [B]I also have started the engine mounts and will finish by making the Transmission mounts to chassis as well.[/B]
    [B]
    Enjoy the new pictures and if any question dont be afraid to ask.[/B]

[B]Thanks for Looking
    Gary K

Dragula 8th scale-dragula-rad-003-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-rad-002-jpgDragula 8th scale-289-cobra-ford-8th-scale-roughed-044-jpgDragula 8th scale-289-cobra-ford-8th-scale-roughed-043-jpgDragula 8th scale-289-cobra-ford-8th-scale-roughed-041-jpg[/B]

Dragula 8th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Finally ..A small block ford in 1/8..COOL !!!! See Spinelli..There are other ford fans
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    The model looks great! Mike...
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    [B]I'm sorry it's been so long since last posting I've been pretty sick and seem to be mending now.
    I was able to get some things done before I got sick on the "Coffin Rad". I did the painting and gold leaf Dragula 8th scale
    to simulate brass on the coffin rad top. I also sculpted a skull which I will call "Mr. Skull" for the Munster Rod articles similar to the origonal black and white pictures at George Barris Rod shop while building the Dragula Rod. "Mr.Skull" will be making a few appearances in the future. I intended to have the skull for a halloween posting but was too sick for that time. So here in a few pictures you will see the newly famed "Mr.Skull" lol[/B]

[B]I also did some work bolting down using brass threaded "U" bolts for the rear axel to chassis. I also finished the transmission chassis mounts as well and to the front of the chassis I finished up by bolting all the suspension leaf springs and radius rods. Things still need to be fitted better most of you know well that scratch building always needs minor adjustments after parts are made. The Radius rods I will be shortening and moving the frame radius rod mount closer to the rad brace you see as this was another peice I fitted too, the Rad brackets are done and Rad is bolted in.[/B]
    [B]On the Engine just before I got sick I managed to rough in the new oil pan and you can see it mounted on the block still not in primer Dragula 8th scale yet. I also beefed up the motor mounts on the chassis because they needed more strength. The new resin Dragula 8th scale molded heads are painted purple and sitting on engine block bolt studs (0-80 thread) for now. The valve covers are newly poured from the new mold as well and covered in silver leaf. I also molded the spark plug cap and rotor housing in clear dark purple resin Dragula 8th scale for now and this will be done in silver leaf as well. I have started on the "cross Ram dual carb intake" pictured as the base of the RAM in white plastic so far (siting on the push rod valley). [/B]
    [B]Currently I'm working on the working Steering Box right now from the 32 ford roadster 3 in 1 kit. It needs to be modified for sure. So at this point "The Dragula" is sitting on it's own weight, engine included. Kinda neat to see the aluminum leaf springs up front hold the weight and seems to have pretty good spring to it which I was surprised.[/B]
    [B]I have been hunting down materials to use on the coffin and I think it's going to be poster board and taped backed fiber glass and then a thin surfacing of the green fine glass fiber to smooth the surface. I like using this stuff as I used it for the engine block and it is nice to machine and sand Dragula 8th scale . I have also been studying the fancy trim work on the coffin too and have 75% of it figured out and I'm looking for the "Crest" on the top cover at front and on the two sides. I might try asking them at munstercoach .com. I will be doing this via making partial modeling clay then heating in oven and molding more plastersene impressions as I did the "firestone " on the outer rear tire. I will show this process as I get to it... but giving you all a heads up.
    I'm still having loads of fun which is what this about![/B]

[B]Well hope to post before Christmas and maybe during Christmas and New Years on the Coffin progress hopefully thats my plan.[/B]
    [B]Thanks for looking
    Gary K
    [/B]

Dragula 8th scale-dragula-030-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-034-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-032-skull-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-037-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-031-jpg
    [B][B]Dragula 8th scale-dragula-039-jpgDragula 8th scale-dragula-035-jpg[/B][/B]

Dragula 8th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I really like the skull dude....(I like the build as well)..glad your feelin better....
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    Thanks Mike, I'm 90% better and like David getting sick of being sick but I just love doing this work way too much and thanks for the kudos on the Mr.Skull I had fun doing it and hopefully adds some fun to my postings in future too.

That Ford is taking shape Mike!

Gary K

Dragula 8th scale
    Last edited by VintageModMan; 12-01-13 at 09:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. 1932FORDFAN's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    john
    hope your feeling better .. was wondering iuf you were going to cast any og the parts for others to make one ??
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Here ya go, Gary. I've had this original Munsters poster on my wall for a few years, and it shows some detail you might want.

Dragula 8th scale-img_0187-jpgDragula 8th scale-img_0188-jpg Big pics so you should be able to see everything. Did you know Dragula had a grille?
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    FordsFan yes I will be casting Dragula 8th scale parts for this build and will let you know when nearing the end what will be available for those who wish to build their own Dragula. I'm thinking about making a Glass mold for the Coffin and vacuforming the bubble for the cockpit.
    For now the engine is being cast as well as rear tires and wheels I mastered.

OBH thanks soooooooooooo much for this wonderful nugget of info and those pictures are fab!!!!!!! hard to get that kind of close up on the casket trim. I'm really looking for that crest on the front top and the two sides and with these pictures you've added more to the trim questions and answers. hanks again Oh and BTW what Grille do you mean OBH?

Thanks Gary K

Dragula 8th scale
    Last edited by VintageModMan; 12-19-13 at 07:59 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageModMan View Post
    FordsFan yes I will be casting Dragula 8th scale parts for this build and will let you know when nearing the end what will be available for those who wish to build their own Dragula. I'm thinking about making a Glass mold for the Coffin and vacuforming the bubble for the cockpit.
    For now the engine is being cast as well as rear tires and wheels I mastered.

OBH thanks soooooooooooo much for this wonderful kugget of info and those pictures are fab!!!!!!! hard to get that kind of close up on the casket trim. I'm really looking for that crest on the front top and the two sides and with these pictures you've added more to the trim questions and answers. hanks again Oh and BTW what Grille do you mean OBH?

Thanks Gary K
    Oh goody a 1/8 small Ford...Im stoked !!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Quote Originally Posted by VintageModMan View Post
    BTW what Grille do you mean OBH?
    Gary,

look at the front of the casket, right behind the Moon tank. You'll see there's a gold mesh-covered opening. Directly to the right of the headlamp in the photo.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    Okay thanks OBH yes I have some of that aluminum messh just for this grill and will gold leaf Dragula 8th scale it. These pictures also show the anti sway arm at the front whick hooks up to the leaf spring pivot hangers. Ive been looking for this in all the pictures I've got and these show the actual arm at the front and will give me a location on the frame too.
    Awsome pictures thanks again OBH!

Yes Mike isn't it great a small block ford lives in the 8th scaled world now. Hey did I tell you the the Rod C cab Paddy waggon has a 289 ford in it?...lol just for teasers

Gary K

Dragula 8th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. That's not an anti-sway bar, that's a pair of friction shocks. Probably off an older British motorcycle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    OBH do you have any Idea where I might get pictures of those type of shocks?

Dragula 8th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    [B]Okay keeping this short and simple for viewers,
    Started Casket Bottom Materials are Card stod wrapped around Pegged JIG and glued and the Fiber glass glued to the Card stock on the outside and then 1/4 inch quartered plastic tube was cut and glued to the bottom of casket and then added the "Green" glass filler to seams around the bottom. I also used molding putty Dragula 8th scale
    to put around the 1/4 trim at bottom in the 4 corners and then put "Green" glass filler over top to make the 1/4 trim in each corner.[/B]
    [B]I will be adding glass resin Dragula 8th scale to the glass fiber and fibering the inside with a layer and resin Dragula 8th scale it as well but first I will add the sill around as a lip of wood in picture here from an Orange create from Christmas Clemintines. [/B]
    [B]Thanks for looking and see you soon.
    Gary K

Dragula 8th scale-model-001-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-002-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-005-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-008-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-009-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-014-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-015-jpgDragula 8th scale-model-016-jpg

[/B]

Dragula 8th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #31