Close

beginner's box stock Big Deuce build
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

beginner's box stock Big Deuce build beginner's box stock Big Deuce build beginner's box stock Big Deuce build beginner's box stock Big Deuce build beginner's box stock Big Deuce build
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 1.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-25-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey all,
      Since I've been asking all sorts of questions and not contributing anything in return, I figured it was high time to get some pictures posted. Now that I've got the resizing thing figured out, I can get things moving. To start off I'll just post the frame painted with Tamiya beginner's box stock Big Deuce build semigloss black. I know it's not much, but I figured it might be encouraging to a beginner like myself to see some pics of a basic build.

Cheers,
      Rob

Build Photos

beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-32frame1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. RC-Archer's Avatar Established Member
    Looks good so far!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Which engine are you going with.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks!
    Going with the Flattie, block painted red. I should have some pics of it soon. It's together, but still needs the wiring. I've done 2 wires so far, but it seems to me like the lengths in the manual might be a bit long.

Cheers,
    Rob

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolfool View Post
    Thanks!
    I've done 2 wires so far, but it seems to me like the lengths in the manual might be a bit long.
    Rob, Pay no attention to the lengths in the manual. If I remember correctly, most of the lengths were off, both long and short. You're better off measuring each one yourself.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the box pics to try to get an idea of how long to make them. It looks like any excess should be kept to a minimum.

I started painting the body and interior panels today. I've included a 1/24 '40 Ford for size reference. I'm painting the body the same Tamiya beginner's box stock Big Deuce build semigloss black as the frame, and the interior I'm trying in the same Testor's red as I'm doing the engine and firewall. Hopefully it looks ok in the interior. I've got to learn to do a better job of getting bodies lint/dust free before painting. The amount of dust showing in the first light coats is atrocious this time. I'm going to let it dry overnight and then sand beginner's box stock Big Deuce build to try and fix things.

Hmm, I was just looking at the hinges for the doors. What exactly keeps the doors on when they're open? In the manual it shows the pin on the hinge pointing down from the top - how will the hinge stay together when open? Did they change the hinges at all from the original and these hinges aren't meant to actually function? Is that why the manual doesn't show the doors being cut out?

Rob

Attached Images Attached Images beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-32body1-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-32body2-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-32body3-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-32body4-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolfool View Post
    What exactly keeps the doors on when they're open? In the manual it shows the pin on the hinge pointing down from the top - how will the hinge stay together when open?
    Rob, The hinges should be attached so that one pin faces up and one faces down on each door. I can't remember which way they are in the kit, but you should have either the hinge parts attached to the door surrounding the hinge parts attached to the body, or the other way around, I can't remember off hand. This means that the hinges have to be glued to the doors in place. You can't just glue the hinge halves onto the doors and body and then mount the doors. This means you have to be really careful when glueing the hinges on because a little too much glue will bond the hinge halves together. You might find it easiest to tape the doors in place on the body when you try to glue the hinges on. This will help to line everything up properly. I hope that helps.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks Steve,
    I'll look into and try to figure it out when the time comes. I'm just glad I didn't get myself into a mess that would take a lot of fixing.

Rob

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It looks like you've started off on a good track, Rob. The color scheme is a classic and it'll look great. Don't hesitate to ask any questions along the entire build.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks coupe, I'll be sanding beginner's box stock Big Deuce build tomorrow to fix all that dust in the paint. Next thing to do is separate the the sides of the hood from the center piece. It's not pre-scored like the doors, so I thought I'd try to repeatedly score it with an exacto.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Before you cut out the doors - MAKE SURE you REALLY WANT To do it!!!

My first Big Deuce purchase - I did just that - I kept the sprue beginner's box stock Big Deuce build in place (cowl to rear deck) and I cut out the doors. The interior panels / doors / floorpan have a BIG gap to be closed off - the door jambs really need WORK to make it all look right. The body gets REALLY WEAK when you cut the doors lose - too.

My second Big Deuce got started as a box stock beginner's box stock Big Deuce build resto-rod. I did NOT cut the doors out, nor will I cut the doors out.... Too much work. COOL Factor, true - but LOTS of work.

First car will be semi-gloss black High-boy with red steelies, wide whites and the flattie.

Second car is a full fendered (Black), Dark Metallic beginner's box stock Big Deuce build Blue, with red interior Restored "rod" roadster. It has the Pontiac engine - and the entire undercarriage is red. Ran into a masking beginner's box stock Big Deuce build NIGHTMARE withthat - and I am still figuring out what to do with the gas tank - paint it black, red - or half and half....

Stripping the chrome parts to clean up the mold lines beginner's box stock Big Deuce build is a JOB! Stripping, ain't bad - it is the clean-up that is really a pain!

Oh - I said roadster for a reason - and I "numbered" the cars - I bought a pile of these a few years ago, along with 5 and 3-window coupe bodies, a pheaton.

If I ever get back to modeling - I have my bases covered!

Drew
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Sounds like you've got plenty of kits Drew. Would be nice to have the 3-window with a nice chop.

You've got me thinking I may have cut out the doors prematurely. Oh well, I'll see what happens when I get there.

For now, I've got a few pics of the motor. I haven't glued the plugs in place yet because I'm hoping to paint the heads red in the grooves.

Cheers,
    Rob

Attached Images Attached Images beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-flat1-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-flat2-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-flat3-jpg  beginner's box stock Big Deuce build-flat4-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Lovely on the flathead oldskoolfool, it will look really nice against the black that you've got planned for the model.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks robjos.

Currently working on painting the body. I'm finding that there are a couple of areas that scuffed during the the sanding beginner's box stock Big Deuce build of the trim line on the side of the body aren't covering very well a couple of coats. You can see the difference in the paint finish, and they look dull and scuffed, even though I've been sanding beginner's box stock Big Deuce build them with 1500 grit. Not sure how to get the finish uniform across all areas of the body.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. oldskoolfool -

it sounds like you are applying paint directly to the plastic on the body. Is that true?

If you are - that is your problem / mistake.

I would strip the body (using Westley's Bleche-white beginner's box stock Big Deuce build or Castrol Super Clean beginner's box stock Big Deuce build - or another product - many others probably have their favorites - brake fluid will work, but I don't recommend it), then sand beginner's box stock Big Deuce build the entire body with the 1500. May even go rougher. Do you plan on painting this car a GLOSS color? If so, you will want to sand beginner's box stock Big Deuce build the ENTIRE BODY.

These 1/8 scale cars are BIG. The plastic when it is molded is injected hot beginner's box stock Big Deuce build and under pressure - as the plastic cools - there is shrinkage - the shrinkage causes waves in the body panels. The shear size of a 1/8 scale car makes these waves more noticeable. I would recommend block sanding beginner's box stock Big Deuce build the entire car, priming it with a sandable primer beginner's box stock Big Deuce build (Duplicolor Automotive Primer beginner's box stock Big Deuce build works really well - just use THIN coats). Sand beginner's box stock Big Deuce build it between coats - using different colors of primer beginner's box stock Big Deuce build works good - too. (Duplicolor comes in gray, black, white, red) Your final prime should come close to your final paint - use red under reds, black under black - white under LIGHT colors - even under red - to "brighten" the final red color tone.

Using THIN coats of the Auto primer beginner's box stock Big Deuce build will seal the plastic from the chemicals used in the auto paints. A foundation (if you will) of this primer beginner's box stock Big Deuce build , will SEAL the plastic - so your final color CAN be Automotive Lacquers - Touch-up cans. (Sorry, I just made your project that much more complicated - and your color choices just multiplied by a gizzilion or so!

A good, solid - SMOOTH foundation will result in a nice - to - AWESOME paint job. Paint prep is important - the bigger the canvas, the more prep needed.

Drew
    QUOTE QUOTE #15