Close

Builder Last Online: Feb 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-15-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey all,
      I finally got my big deuce kit, and have just started. I decided to paint the frame and body semigloss/satin. I'm using Tamiya painting flathead heads semigloss black and have sprayed the frame and gas tank so for. I'm not sure if I like the look, so I haven't decided if I'm going with gloss black or not.

I've also started on the engine, and was wondering how I would paint the recesses between the fins on the heads. I'm doing the block Testors red, and wanted to get the red on the heads also. Is there an established technique for this?

Thanks,
      Rob
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. RC-Archer's Avatar Established Member
    I painted the heads and then quickly wiped off the high points with a paper towel while the paint was still wet. If paint dried a little too fast, I'd get some paint thinner painting flathead heads on the paper towel and quickly wipe. Remember the paint thinner painting flathead heads will take the chrome off too if you get the towel too wet.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    Detail Master painting flathead heads made a thinned out "wash" called The Detailer. It would work good for that. It was intended for doing recesses like door lines and fins. I know they atleast made black, red, yellow, blue and green.

I've had pretty good luck with adding a little thinner painting flathead heads to the color I want and flowing it into the recesses using a brush. If you thin it enough, it won't stick to the the tops of the fins eliminating the need to wipe any excess off.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. oldskoolfool's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    I was hoping that a wash could be used.

I'm looking at the same situation with the grille I guess. It seems like it would be necessary to black out the gaps between the grille bars.

Rob

painting flathead heads
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You're right about the grill Rob. If you don't want to thin out the grill and make individual bars which is a monumental task and really not worth the hassle IMHO, the best way to treat the grill is to use a flat black enamel painting flathead heads painted on the grill and quickly wiped off like Archer describes. I suggest the enamel painting flathead heads because it takes longer to dry unlike acrylic painting flathead heads and laquer and will wipe off better. Also, make sure the aint is a bit thinnned out so it flows into the recesses. That way, you don't have to glob thick paint all over the grill.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5