Close

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 03-21-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

so, i got some work done on the salt flat roadster. it will be a blown ardun v-12 powered, '32 roadster. here's the what i got so far.

plans for the car.

the engine. still a wip 1-8 salt flat roadster .

the trans and bell housing.

start of the chassis.

front wheels and tires.

rear tires. working on the rear wheels. the wheels will be wide five bead locks.

questions and comments are welcome.

hope you enjoy!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Man...This is going to be sweet Dave..I can almost imagine the sound of the Huffed V-12 at 200 mph...What a ride.

Are you machining the Quick change or adding to a TDR 1-8 salt flat roadster unit with you signature aluminum parts ?

I see you acquired a set of candle holder tires also..
    Last edited by chassisdude; 03-21-13 at 06:27 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    thanks mike. i'll be making my own quick change. probably a mix of renshape and aluminum, maybe all aluminum. i have to decide how much effort i really want to put into this.

the tires i bought 4-5 years ago. on another site. they've been around for a while.

1-8 salt flat roadster
    never poke a sleeping bear with a pointed stick!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Holy Canoli! That is gonna be gorgeous Dave! What are you using for the tranny? I have never seen one that looks like that. Is it a realistic piece or something you designed? Oh wait, I just asked Mr. Perfect Reality if he faked something on one of his builds...talk about snafu! Would you be kind enough to tell me about the trans and maybe post some pics and specs of it for me? Like I have said, I have not seen one like that before and I have been struggling with what to use in MOBAD. I like the Lenco but I kinda want to keep MOBAD's interior somewhat stock. To put a Lenco in it I would have to relocate the front bench seat over the rear wheels. Thanks a ton in advance Dave, I can't wait to see what you come up with as this project develops!

USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gunny, you haven't been paying attention dude.....can you say Liberty trans? Bet you can!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    that is correct, don. it is a liberty clutchless 5 speed. it is similar to the lenco in that you use the clutch to only launch the car but, that's where the similarites end. the liberty is a true gear box. the lenco is a series of planetary sets. it also has dual counter shafts. it can be rated as high as 3000 hp @ 3600 lbs. for the extreme box . the one the pro stock guys use is rated at 1500 hp. @ 2500 lbs. i don't know if it would make a good street car trans as it needs to under a load for the gears to stay engaged. if you let off the throttle it will pop out of gear. you'll see the shifter has 5 rods. each gear has it's own rod and shift fork. as you shift the trans never goes through a neutral state. as you shift into the next higher gear the overspeed of the gear change pops it out of the lower gear. it is a brutally harsh shift. i ran an air shifted / shorty version of this in my A/Dragster back in 2000 or so. awesome transmission. makes clutch tuning a high priority but when you get it right.....it's fast

i can't post any pics until i get back to work on monday. my home computer is having a problem signing onto my photobucket account. here's the website for liberty transmissions.

http://www.libertysgears.com/clutchless.htm

this is the transmission of choice for just about every NHRA pro stock on the planet. it is very popular in alot of stick shift classes that allow clutchless transmissions. it is used in a few pro mods but, not that many.

if you need any more info i'll be happy to oblige.

1-8 salt flat roadster
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by comp1839 View Post
    thanks mike. i'll be making my own quick change. probably a mix of renshape and aluminum, maybe all aluminum. i have to decide how much effort i really want to put into this.

the tires i bought 4-5 years ago. on another site. they've been around for a while.
    No matter the amount of "effort" as you call it, your attention to detail is spot on in my book...even if less is more ..more or less... I really like those wheels dude... great spin on the old spun...( no pun intended)

BTW..Hows the 37 comin along..almost cruising weather buddy.....
    Last edited by chassisdude; 03-21-13 at 08:29 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    over the weekend i managed to gert the rear wheels made. here are the results.

the pair

mounted in the tire

mocked on the car

hope you enjoy.

1-8 salt flat roadster
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. themodelking's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    johnnyg
    i have a Q~s amazing so far .. but are you going to put tread on the tire as i know of no car in real life using rear slicks on a salt flat car .. ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Hey Dave, awesome practice on those wheels! Now why don't you get busy making the final set and send me your scrap that i see here.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I really like those wheels Dave...The pic with the front and back wheels mocked up looks like you have stretched the WB...If so, how much? I would think that would be a smart move as the stock 106" at 200 + would probably be a bit touchy
    Great build man...
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    A bit touchy? I'm thinking it would be something akin to wearing roller skates on an ice rink!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    thanks guys. i appreciate the comments.

johhny, not sure what i'm going to do with the tires yet.

dave, i promise, any seconds i have i'll send to you straight away........honest! LOL! i hope i got the tranny straight for ya.

mike, thanks. the hubs i'm starting will really make the wheel pop.....i think.....i hope, hehe. the chassis is a bit longer. alot of it has to do with that danged 12 cyl.(just kiddlin' john.) some of it is, i think you're right, it just needs to be longer. right now i'm thinking 122" on the wheelbase. we'll see where the wheelbase god's lead us.

thanks again, guys!!

1-8 salt flat roadster
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. themodelking's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    johnnyg
    love it so far
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Well Dave, I was able t ofind plenty of pics of the Liberty transmission, you wouldn't by chance have any dimensional drawings of the case would you?
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #15