Close

Builder Last Online: Jan 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-28-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

My brother and I are building the same car across country duplicating my old Duece. (I'm helping him with accessories)

I was running a standard 350 with double pumper and blower with finned valve covers and the finned horn type air cleaner.

My question is, is the Big Duece model kit running a small Block Chevy? I heard it may be a Pontiac Mill.

The reason I ask is that to get them both set up with GM Mills, Blowers, Horn type Air cleaner, Holley carb etc. will cost a small fortune. in seperate resin Question on Big Duece Engine kits, or vintage Blower kits running over $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-scale-Chrome-GMC-471-Blower-Ptspk-Monogram-Revell_W0QQitemZ300379599051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f004f0cb

The alternative, is that I found a relatively inexpensive "Exterminator" Drag car with the option to build it with (2) Blown engines for about $69.

Would it be cheaper to buy the Drag racer with 2 Blown engines included, Or are they Blown hemi's or Fords? Either way it may be cheaper to go that route if they're interchangable.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The Deuce comes with a Pontiac mill, but there are Chevy engines out there. If you can find a Monogram Corvette or Camaro, you can yank the engine from that. Some of them even come with the finned valve covers.

It's pretty hard to screw up the engine assembly, so check the Bay for started/poorly built kits. New in box would be expensive, but you can salvage a kit pretty cheap.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    The Exterminator Dragster kit has two Y-Block Fords in it.

The newer issues of The Big T and The Big Tub kits have SBC's with chromed finned valve covers. If you can fin a Golden T or a Street T, they have an SBC with finned valve covers and a single Holley carb.

If you're looking for a Blower and intake and don't mind working with resin Question on Big Duece Engine , check the Scale Motor Cars store. Also, TDR Question on Big Duece Engine sells a universal carb kit that comes with a couple 4barrel carbs in it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Yea I agree, the Exterminator appears to have Y-Block Fords, which is kind of typical of Lindberg. They always seemed to be kind of out of touch with what was going on in the real world at least on the West coast. The Y block was a boat anchor of an engine, and I don't remember ever seeing a competitive dragster with one in any of the magazines of the time, but I digress. They make good rat rod engines, however. Flamefink has some good info on the availability of the SBC
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. johnlord's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    The Keep racking up. I'll be very proud of my $500 Duece.

Question on Big Duece Engine
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    John, and anybody else who's interested............

TDR Question on Big Duece Engine will soon offer a very detailed small block Chev along with some other new engines and accessories. We listen to your discussions and whenever possible, we'll do our best to accomodate your needs.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. johnlord's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    I'd be interested in that. How soon?

Thanks

Question on Big Duece Engine
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    John, and anybody else who's interested............

TDR Question on Big Duece Engine will soon offer a very detailed small block Chev along with some other new engines and accessories. We listen to your discussions and whenever possible, we'll do our best to accomodate your needs.
    Rick, are the Ardun Flathead and Early Hemi still on that list?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Yes, the Ardun, BBC and SBC will all be out early in the new year. We're tinkering with offering a basic long block and a catalog full of accessories for each engine. Watch for an announcement...............soon.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    And it just keeps getting BETTER ,thanks to the gang at TDR Question on Big Duece Engine !!!!!! With new stuff like this coming out us " BIGGIE" modelers will have to soon drag out the drool buckets like we did when the first the 1/8th scale kits came out way back when.
    Thanks TDR Question on Big Duece Engine for keeping the dream alive.
    CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi Rick,

you TDR Question on Big Duece Engine guys must have been reading my mind. I am working on a '65 Monogram Corvette build right now, trying to detail it the best I can. The listing of things to change and add to the kit's engine grows longer and longer. A TDR Question on Big Duece Engine small block would be the correct solution for my lack of scratchbuilding skills and time.

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hey Michael

If you're thinking about going the Pro Street route with that Vette, we have some chassis components, including complete front and rear clips that will work great under that body.

If you or anyone else would like more information on our Pro Street chassis, email us at www.tdr.innovations@gmail.com.

This is the same chassis that will go under Dan's Cuda.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi again Rick,

this Corvette will be straight stock. It's the first project, that I am going to be paid for.
    A frequent guest of the Hotel I'm working at, is a carmaniac. Returning from his last trip to canada he handed me the Monogram kit over and asked me to replicate the '65 Vette he had bought over there.
    Until now, I wasn't quite familiar with American iron, but while occupied with the research for the Corvette, I'm licking blood now.... TDR Question on Big Duece Engine 's Pro Street chassis could be the perfect base for a 1/8 th scale Cobra 427 build.....

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #13