Close

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-20-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I just realized it's been a year since I built anything. Where does the time go anyway? So to keep in practice, I'm gonna do one that's been on my model "bucket list" for a while: a 1941 Willys Gasser.

I'm going to cheat by starting with a Lexan RC body, but the chassis will be mostly scratchbuilt. Power will come from an Olds engine from the Lindberg Exterminator kit, which will also donate wheels and tires, and at least one of its axles.

This is gonna be a pure 60's AA/GC, nose in the air, hole in the hood, slicks outside the fenders build. Maybe a little rough around the edges as many of them were. Parts were ordered this morning, so this post is the sum total of my progress so far.

Stay tuned!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    Looking forward to your progress OBH.....Great topic too:)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Ive been wanting to do a 41 but wasn't sure about using the lexan body..Ill be watching this build for sure...Cool !!!! Is it a 1/10 body or is it available in 1/8?
    Last edited by chassisdude; 10-20-12 at 02:24 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Hard to say what the real scale is. With RC bodies you just never know. This one's meant to fit 1/10 pan cars (which in itself doesn't mean much), but since the 1:1 New project: 41 Willys Gasser was a tiny little thing, it's likely closer to 1/8. I'm not bothered, it'll work one way or another

New project: 41 Willys Gasser
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    So, thinking about this build, I've decided that (much like my life up to now) this car will reflect some bad decision-making. Starting with the paint scheme and the name (which will be closely related). I'll let you guys use your imagination to come up with a worst-case scenario there, and assure you that yes, it will be that bad.

I'm looking at a probable surgery coming up in November, and I'll be on pain meds afterward, so the build will reflect that, too. Nothing like heavy opiates for good decisions.

I'm going to use some leftovers, like the blower and Hilborn setup from the Bad Kitty, which never made it to paint.

Anyone know what kind of rear end the Lindberg Exterminator comes with?

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I believe the rear was an old style olds or pontiac...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Sweet. I was sure they'd have recycled the banjo rear from the T kits. Glad to hear I won't have to make my own

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I just ordered an exterminator and some of the builds ive seen have the olds but now that you mention it it might be a quick change in the kit,,,should have tuesday ill know for sure...

Yep kits got a quick change look in the SMC gallery "dragsters" JACKMAC posted one you can see it looks a little beefier than the ones from the deuce or t .... maybe just the way he detailed it
    Last edited by chassisdude; 10-21-12 at 04:41 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Hey Stu, haven't seen you in a while. Sorry to hear about impending surgery, hope it's nothing to serious. I just had open heart surgery about 7 months ago, aint nothin fun about that for sure!

This 41 should prove interesting, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Body arrived today. I'll start cutting it up soon. Bumpers and lights are molded in, so I'll have to shave those. The roof has a pretty radical chop, but that was legal in the Gas classes. Clear Lexan doesn't photograph too well, so you'll have to use your imagination for now. I need to stop at the LHS New project: 41 Willys Gasser and get some paint & glue before I do anything.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Cool beans Stu.........are you sure the Exterminator kit has Olds engines? I thought they were Fords.......Lindy isn't real accurate with some of their detailing but you you should be able to tell by how the exhaust ports are spaced.

BTW....the Madd Fabricator casts some really sweet 1/8th scale Willys bodies in fiberglass.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I think they are fords..Kinda...sorta....
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    If it's the same engine as the Tiger T and its derivatives, then it's more Oldsish. Whatever it is, I'll figure something out. Looks like it doesn't include a water pump, so it'll take a little building to make it look like anything.

The valve covers are more like '49-56 Olds. Exhaust port spacing is off (too many of 'em for one thing) but the front cover and water pump are more or less correct. Can't be an FE because the dizzy is in the back. But it could be a Y-block Ford. Port spacing is correct for that engine. Guess it depends on what color I paint it.

EDIT: The more I look around, the more it looks like a Y-block.

Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 10-24-12 at 09:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah, considering the time period the kit was originally released, I'm thinking it's supposed to be a Y-block.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Anything in a 41 Willys is cool!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15