Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-08-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I'm finally at a stage where I can let you guys see what I've been doing on my own deuce. As some of you know, I've been working on this thing forever scratchbuilding a coupe top onto the roadster. I'm by no means done with this thing but I need a little critique from you guys. This is the first real scratchbuilding I've done. The main points I need you to tell me are 1) does the top look like it's in correct proportion to the body? 2) Is the rear window hole correct or is it too big? 3) What do I need to do to get the whole thing more believable as a coupe? Please note that the defects still need to be filled, the back window needs cutting and the door needs to be finished among a lot of other things. I just don't want to get this thing much further along if it's not right. Thanks so much. Also, don't be afraid to criticize where it needs it. Many of you have been doing this longer than I have and I just want this model to be a good one.

[/IMG]
      [/IMG]
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    HFC,

I think it looks spot on, you are doing a great job. Have you decided upon a color scheme.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    HFC....I was going to email you my response to your top but decided to post it here instead.
    WOWZEEEERRRRRRRR!!!

The only problem I can see is that once you get it in primer My Infamous Coupe Top you are going to crossover into the "DETAIL FREAK ZONE!" Are you going to push the envelope, as they say, and drive yourself nuts with roll-up windows?
    I've been Disco-ed and now I've been Smoked by da Coupe! Excellent stuff buddy!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thank you my good friends for your kind responses. This thing has been redone several times and I was afraid I opened that back window too much. I built it from a technique I saw on Scale Auto where someone showed how to convert a 57 Chevy hardtop to a Nomad by building up layers on top of each other and then contouring. Each new layer was placed narrower and narrower until the general countour was reached. Then I added a thick piece of stryrene sheet over the top and started carving with a small belt sander again to the approximate contour. I didn't but I think it would be better to use a cardstock template set to check your work as you go. The dips and dents are then filled with two part putty My Infamous Coupe Top from Evercoat. For those that never handled the stuff, when you mix it up 1) you have to fold the stuff in. If you mixed it like I did at first, you get a few (about 1,000,000) little bubbles that must be filled. I was going to use a filler primer My Infamous Coupe Top but I was afraid that it would shrink up on my under my color and I'd see the spots in a year or two. It's better to take the time and do it right instead of doing it more "efficiently".

As far as color scheme Rob, I've narrowed my choices down to only about 1,000 so the painting step is close. As far as details , I'm going to put in the drip rail, suicide the doors, put in roll up windows (thanks to your drawing)including the back one, upholster it in leather, make a rumble seat My Infamous Coupe Top , make a retractable antenna, lights, turn signals, brake lights, backup lights and put in all the minute detail I can. Yes, I'm probably going to be commited to a looney bin just after I complete this thing which will most likely be sometime between now and after New Orleans has been bulldozed, cleaned up, de-mucked, raised about 30 ft :eek: above sea level and completely restored. I think I can beat that deadline but it will be close. :confused: ;) :p

My Infamous Coupe Top
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Pierluigi's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. yukfou2's Avatar Member
    You know if you took everything you have and all your tools and checked into the looney bin now you would have a lot of free time to work on it. Plus they would give you nice little pills to keep you calm. Of course the down side is the leather straps.
    Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps !!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Why does everyone want to put HFC in a straight jacket ??? :D Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Because we like him!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I like the leather straps. It's the new winter fashion from Madison Ave. Besides, anyone who tries to make a top like this or makes tiny screw in spark plugs has got to be nuts. I'll teach you all how to do them so we'll all be placed in the same looney bin. That way, we can save the postage when we trade parts. The only thing is that the parts and the modeling tools will be made of foam rubber. Just remember what happened to -----Supermodeler and I'm not talking about the stuck rhinestone either.. :p :p :p

The guitar is made of foam rubber also.

My Infamous Coupe Top
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. yukfou2's Avatar Member
    I'm new here. Who's -----Supermodeler and what happened to him? Is that a pic of you HFC? Nice guitar for foam rubber.
    Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps !!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Jeff, would you like some measurements taken from an original steel 5 Window body?? I have a mate building one at the moment, with some luck I will catch him before he chops it?
    I really do hate to say this but the rear side window may be a little over sized, hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, that is of course unless all you guys would like to chip in and pay my airfare to the US??
    Guys?

Anyone??

Hello??

Why you all laughing so much??

Doc.
    (Still in Australia)..
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Doc. I had a feeling I made the opening too big for the rear window. I can cut it down but if you have some measurements, it would be a great help. Thanks again.

My Infamous Coupe Top
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Ok, it may take a day or two but I will get them for you as soon as I can.
    Doc.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Not a problem. Thanks for taking a look at the coupe and posting. With that, I can correct the booboo.

My Infamous Coupe Top
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    That coupe top looks great HFC, how long did it take you to get this far :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #15