Close

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-02-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thanks to Tony, TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS is now testing a new IFS and IRS for the R/M Deuce chassis. As with all TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS products, these two kits are CAD designed and RP TDR Deuce IFS/IRS produced.

We're not going into production yet, and the photo's are spy shots only. We'll be sending each kit to Syd for an evaluation and build tutorial. After that, we'll follow up on any suggestions from Syd and the kit will go into production, hopefully by the end of the year.

This kit has been designed for a non fendered Deuce. Once we're happy with it, we'll design another one for full fendered cars.

Build Photos

TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_4799-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_4821-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_4836-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It looks really good. Syd will wring it out and really put on a good show.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I don't have a new pair of frame sides for this kit so I will try to fit the IFS and IRS into a used - boxed frame complete with the gas tank etc. already mounted from an old experimental Deuce set up. It is the old black frame I used when experimenting with mounting the Hemi 426. I figured this would be a good chance to show how to breath life back into old Deuce models.

The frame has everything cut off except the front bar and gas tank. I also bought a second Hemi 426 with 4 speed, headers, blower and carb setup to mount on this frame. One of these Hemis will wind up in a complete roadster - the other in a skeleton frame to show off all the mechanical detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2560-sized-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    OK The long awaited TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS parts have arrived. As always, each part (except for the smallest) is individually wrapped in bubble wrap and scotch taped. The smallest parts come in plastic bags. Of course when you order more than one kit there is a short sorting session required. The first image is the pile of parts for the IFS, IRS, U joint kit, and the blown hemi all ordered at once.

Second image shows the IFS and IRS parts. Now to sand TDR Deuce IFS/IRS the surface but not eradicate the details. TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS s instructions state to clean out the mounting holes for use of 3/32 styrene TDR Deuce IFS/IRS tube or rod. If tubing is used for the attachment joints, a 00-90 TDR Deuce IFS/IRS bolt can be run through the tubing for detailing and maybe actual assembly. We will see.

Question before sanding TDR Deuce IFS/IRS and screwing up details. There are grooves on one side of the front cross member and both sides of the rear cross member. I presume these are art or do they portray some physical purpose?

The amazing detail from the RP TDR Deuce IFS/IRS process shows up in the coils. They are perfect down to the wire ends flattening out but as these are too delicate for me to smooth the surface I will try to find some metal 1" x 1/2" stock hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2875-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2876-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2877-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2878-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2879-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. ajwheels's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Tony
    Hi Syd..............I think the "grooves" you see on the front and rear crossmembers are actually small "steps"..............the parts are printed out laying flat.........like you show in your pictures..........the "steps" are the layering of material put down by the printer........so, you can leave them there as "art", or you can sand TDR Deuce IFS/IRS them out to match the surrounding frame surface.............

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Gosh, sometimes I feel pretty dumb. Yep - didn't notice the expansion as the cross member sides approach the end.

As usual I was roaring ahead even though I promised myself I would work slow and methodical for a change. I started sanding TDR Deuce IFS/IRS the cross members before I thought to check attachment points. Fortunately I stopped in time. Because the printer follows the CAD drawing perfectly, there is no extra meat to sand TDR Deuce IFS/IRS off wherever the A arms meet the cross member, etc. Smooth most other places if you are looking for a machined finish.

I made up an 8x10 sheet of images AJ posted so that I would be able to see what to check and where. I have done this on all their models so far. Might be something nice they could include with the kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-tdr-suspension-sized-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. RC-Archer's Avatar Established Member
    Wow, that is just mind blowing!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Things are getting a mite complicated as always. Looks like bushings should be inserted which means for detailing it is OK to sand TDR Deuce IFS/IRS mating surfaces for fit. Decided on 2-56 TDR Deuce IFS/IRS hex screws instead of 3/32 rod or tube and 00-90 TDR Deuce IFS/IRS screws for attaching parts. Would like to have been able to buy threaded rod to cut to size for thru fitting but rod is very pricy compared to screws so I got a bag of 2/56 TDR Deuce IFS/IRS x 3/4 to cut to size as needed. They will be too short for some thru feeds but we will fake it where needed.

For bushings I have a stash of small washer (probably from Dan) that will work fine for the larger mating surfaces but are slightly oversize for the A arms. Don't have a solution for that yet.

For springs I guess I will try smoothing carefully the kit springs as metal compression springs are priced like gold.

Dimensions
    3/32 rod 0.09375 dia.
    2-56 TDR Deuce IFS/IRS screw 0.086 dia.
    3-48 screw 0.099 dia.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-p106851_image_large-jpg 
    Last edited by sydeem; 11-30-09 at 12:14 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    For springs I guess I will try smoothing carefully the kit springs as metal compression springs are priced like gold.
    Syd,
    If you're not looking for functional springs, why not take a piece of brass rod and carefully wrap it around a screwdriver or something that is the right diameter until you have the correct height. I've done that before for non-functional springs. If you want functional, you can use the piano wire that most hobby shops carry, but it is much harder to bend.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Willys41's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by strevo View Post
    Syd,
    If you're not looking for functional springs, why not take a piece of brass rod and carefully wrap it around a screwdriver or something that is the right diameter until you have the correct height. I've done that before for non-functional springs. If you want functional, you can use the piano wire that most hobby shops carry, but it is much harder to bend.
    -Steve
    Just as a note, I have found the springs in some large old ball point pens work good and also the flint retainer spring in an empty Bic lighter work also.
    An Artist dips his brush into his soul before every stroke.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Carefull opening up thos Bic Lighters TDR Deuce IFS/IRS Syd. Even when empty, they can still contain some compressed fuel that, under the right circumstances, could ignite.

Look around your house, the hardware store, junk shops. There's lots of items that have suitable springs. The pen springs are a great idea.

TDR Deuce IFS/IRS
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks for all the spring responses. We will see what transpires in time. We don't just need one spring but six, all the same and true to the TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS design. I saw an early post by AJ that had a commercial spring installed. Wonder where he got them?

Also -might as well show what happens when you have too many things in your hands. DO NOT DROP these models but if you do as mentioned I believe earlier, the parts break with crisp edges making the repair fairly straight forward unless you lose a little part like the ear on the left. Because I am trying to revive an old boxed frame there are some problems. For one thing the box spreads the frame by the dimension of the styrene TDR Deuce IFS/IRS used so I have to file material away. Holding parts for trial fitting caused the above problem.

For the ear I guess I can make a styrene TDR Deuce IFS/IRS replacement or maybe use two washers and a bolt as a mold for some putty TDR Deuce IFS/IRS .
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2881-jpg  TDR Deuce IFS/IRS-img_2882-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    Thanks for all the spring responses. We will see what transpires in time. We don't just need one spring but six, all the same and true to the TDR TDR Deuce IFS/IRS design. I saw an early post by AJ that had a commercial spring installed. Wonder where he got them?

Also -might as well show what happens when you have too many things in your hands. DO NOT DROP these models but if you do as mentioned I believe earlier, the parts break with crisp edges making the repair fairly straight forward unless you lose a little part like the ear on the left. Because I am trying to revive an old boxed frame there are some problems. For one thing the box spreads the frame by the dimension of the styrene TDR Deuce IFS/IRS used so I have to file material away. Holding parts for trial fitting caused the above problem.

For the ear I guess I can make a styrene TDR Deuce IFS/IRS replacement or maybe use two washers and a bolt as a mold for some putty TDR Deuce IFS/IRS .
    That's one nice thing about this stuff Syd, since it's basically superglue soaked into a latticework of powder, if it breaks, just carefully superglue it back together and it's just about as strong as it was before.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hey Syd, if you are still looking for compression springs, go to this website:

McMaster-Carr

Then in the search type "compression spring". You should be able to find exactly what you want.

tim
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Super and super price - only $1.00 each. Unfortunately for a package of 5 but the extra 4 might be handy in the future.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #15