Close

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildwood

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This project will called "WILDWOOD".
      Rick & I will be designing and building the car.

We have a concept in mind and are finalizing the overall design now.
      It'll be a one off Wildwood 1/8th scale model that we would build full size if money were no object and we had a completely equipped machine shop and every tool known to either of us.
      In other words either one of us would be thrilled to have it parked in our garage.

What I can tell you so far is that it will be powered by a blown (yes, I said blown not turbos) Ferrari F-40 V-8 engine.
      Power rack & pinion steering, 4 wheel power disc brakes, air conditioning, independent front & rear suspension.......some will be functional.
      Working head, tail, dash, dome lights, doors.......roll up windows will function etc.
      If I can get speakers small enough it will have tunes as well!

It will also have "real" 1/8th scale wire wheels.

It'll be based on one of the Madd-Fabricators Willy's fiberglass bodies and we'll be using a bucketful of TDR Wildwood parts.

The chassis will be a combination monocoque & tube space frame.

Yeah, it's certainly not going to be inexpensive to build but we'll manage!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    sounds off the hook don. i have to ask,......what's the significance of the name "wildwood"?
    never poke a sleeping bear with a pointed stick!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Well Dave, I wasn't really going to go there this early in the game but being you asked the answer it's simply because it's going to have wooden coach work...in other words - a Woody. We are going to build a woody that is as politically correct and acceptable at the country club as it is with a long board on the roof at the beach.
    I'm not going to just slap some veneer & balsa together and call it a day...it will be properly framed out and I'll use some rather exotic woods for the skin. Luxury interior.....with all the bells and whistles.

A little bit hot Wildwood rod, custom, show car, luxury beach cruiser...........what more could you want in a daily driver? Shoot, I think even the Donald would approve......hee, hee.

Wildwood
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Don, when it's all done, since you're using a bucket load of TDR Wildwood parts, you can use this build to show them all off. You can make it a TDR Wildwood flagship to show what you can do with all the parts.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah Jeff......it'll show off some TDR Wildwood parts but other than mentioning what parts I've used (as well as giving credit to other vendors or individuals) the majority of the car will be scratch built Wildwood or modified parts from outside sources. There will come a day when I build a complete car using only TDR Wildwood parts and a Madd Fabricator or a body of my own.
    That however is for another day..........this particular build is all about what tickles the fancy of Rick and myself.

I'll be posting some "quick" sketches of where we are headed shortly after I get the 1/8th scale glass Cuda thread going.....that car has been on the back burner far too long - - - it's on the bench....and now that I have a clean bill of health I want it outta here so that I can move on to other projects.

Wildwood
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Let's get this show on the road.......the pics don't do these wheels justice......they were fabricated and laced by Chris Garcia.
    The disc brake rotor is a TDR Wildwood item. Rick had these wheels custom made by Chris for a project he had been working on....they are gorgeous.
    I'll be stripping the red paint and more than likely faux anodizing them, adding a valve stem, some big & little white sidewall tires and use them on Wildwood.

Wildwood
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    thanks for the explanation don. sounds incredibly cool.
    never poke a sleeping bear with a pointed stick!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks Dave, Rick hasn't seen this sketch yet so it may change but here's my first draft......I wanted to retain the overall visual recognition as a Willys but being it's going to have a Ferrari engine I borrowed a few styling bits from the Enzo. I also want it to be a bit more contemporary than simply a retro rod Woody.
    Whatcha guys think? Input is more than welcome.

Wildwood
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Nice front end treatment. I love it. I also love those Kelsey Hayes wheels. I'd love to make a set of those myself.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Talked to Rick, he's good with the sketch and sent me a Pocher F-40 engine kit so it's heater time.......not too shabby with the twin turbos and all but we're going outside the box for this cruiser........I hope some of you Ferrari guys will keep me on track with the wiring etc. Haven't decided yet whether to put a distributor on the thing...or use coil pacs and 'puter.

Here's a pic of the Pocher kit I'll being using for those of you that are unfamiliar with it.......

Looks like a lot of pieces but there's parts for complete engine and another partial engine. Rick also included most of a trans kit (hardware).

Now we all know there's no substitute for cubic inches and I have a spare block etc.
    I can leave this as an 8 cylinder or make a (fantasy) 10 cylinder?

If I was going to do a 12 cylinder I'd have used a Testarossa engine.

Wildwood
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The TR engine is far too wide to fit in the front of anything. You'd be over the 102-inch width limit by the time you put tires on it. But REAL Ferraris have 12 cylinders, in a V for preference. And you know the Willys has room for six in a row under the hood, so what's another row?

Cutting off the front of the hood makes the Willys identity disappear. It's still recognizable with only the grille mods. Why not try a transparent bubble scoop like the original TR's used? Or is that too hot Wildwood -roddy?
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Stu.....couple of great ideas there pal.
    I'm really liking the transparent bubble thought......wouldn't be difficult to vacuum form something........I'm going to have to hold up on the final hood design until I have the blower mounted on the engine and see how high it sits.
    I'll give the V-12 some serious thought, it sure would make for a wicked looking engine.
    I kinda hate to cut up another Pocher F 40 for a few cylinders but what the heck....I could always make a V-4 Ferrari with the left overs and stuff it in Guzzi frame or trike right? It would be cool in mid-engined / transaxle bug or buggy too. Hmmmmmmmm.

Wildwood
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Here we go....I'm hoping that this build will be informative and helpful to some and at least eye candy for others.
    As it progresses I'm sure there will be screw ups and gremlins that have to be dealt with but if nothing else it may keep some of you from repeating our boo boos in your own builds....in other words Rick & I will use our coin and time to (with any kind of luck) save you some $, time and frustration.

Rick & I after some head scratching' and our usual bantering back & forth collectively decided to keep the F40 a V-8.
    Had to chuckle a bit when Rick said " Stay with the V8. It's a hot Wildwood rod, not a Beverly Hills grocery getter".

Anyway on to the pictures......
    Here's some out of the box Pocher kit pieces for the front covers and alternator....in my mind, no better or worse than any other kit. A bit lacking in detail perhaps considering the cost of Pocher stuff, but that's for you guys to decide.

Wildwood
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'll be using a number of bits from various vendors including TDR Wildwood and the Madd Fabricator.......right up front let me say I am involved with TDR Wildwood & MF, but whatever I use I'll be calling like I see 'em. Fair 'nuff?

These next few photo's are of the kit pieces assembled, painted, and some trans kit hardware pieces added.
    The only reason I'm posting them is for comparsion between the O.O.B. parts and assembled with the trans kit stuff so that you can decide for yourselves if trans kits are worth the coin.
    These are spares and I did not assemble them!

I'll be breaking them down to salvage the trans kit hardware parts only.
    I don't know who assembled them and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but if you look closely some of the plastic bosses are broken out and drilled off center. That may be okay for some but I want want this build to be super detailed and the best my particular skill level with allow.

The trans kit bits I'm using are a Scale Details item for this engine.....I've been asked if it's worth the cost?
    Let me just say the the quality is right on the money, if I had to to round up the hundreds of bolts, etc. that come in the kit not to mention the P.E., brass tubing and supplied info...it would cost me way more than the price of their kit and the reseach time would be out of sight.

Is it worth it....that's for you and your piggy bank to decide.

Wildwood
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I like the air intake idea, and figure it needs to be on top of the hood to hit the blower right, but it sure would be cool to have a pair of intakes, one on each side of the hood where the flat on the inner side of the fender(the part that the hood sits on) could flow up into the engine compartment through a channel and into the blower(if that makes any sense). Of course, this is YOUR design, so do whatever suits you! This sounds like a really cool project!
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #15