Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-16-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well this ought to keep me busy

Back in my misspent youth, I got into British sports cars in a small way. Meaning I built, flipped, owned, worked on and drove a profusion of small-bore English iron, most of which were powered by BMC's A-series engine.

For those not familiar with this lump, the little 3-main, 5-port 4-banger premiered in the early 50's in the Morris Minor and went on to power the Austin-Healey Sprite, MG Midget, and of course the Mini, growing from its original 803cc all the way up to an are-you-kidding-me-that's-huge 1275cc.

The engine stayed in production for more than 40 years, qualifying it for my list of all-time great engines on that basis alone. Even though, by any objective standard, it wasn't. But that didn't stop BMC from making a gazillion of them, and it won't stop me from making one in approximately (I never measure this stuff) 1/5 scale.

This will be a 948cc version, as installed in the MkI Sprite.

Blah blah blah, let's see some pics!

The left side of the block, showing off the timing cover and tappet chest. While all engines have tappets, only the smaller A-series engines are lucky enough to have a chest to keep them in.

A good deal of time went into the valve cover. It's only two inches long, the original ain't much bigger. These were tiny engines.

The cylinder head is mostly complete. It's a wonderfully complex shape, especially on the port side (see previous pic).

Naturally, this started out as something to do and it got away from me. Stay tuned for more madness!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I spot a problem, the gab betwin head and the waterpump has a little hose, this gab is only 1-2 cm betwim the tubes and it was hell to replace it with a new, you had to massage the hose before trying and a robe around the leg to pull it in place on a mini.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The BMC service part had little accordion folds in it. I plan to incorporate those.

And yes, they were quite a pain to replace.

1/5 scale BMC 948cc engine
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. AirB's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Rudy
    I Am gone sure follow this Stu, it looks great and in that scale it's possible to
    make it look real.
    I am a big fan of the cars of that era (my youth) and especial British cars.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    [QUOTE=Old Busted Hotness;88373] Meaning I built, flipped, owned, worked on and drove a profusion of small-bore English iron, most of which were powered by BMC's A-series engine.)...... This will be great; I hope they had a roll bar when you flipped them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Some progress:

Got the cylinder head roughed in

Oil filter and its external plumbing 1/5 scale BMC 948cc engine

Drain cock (need to work on that oil passage in the block, though, it's still a little rough)

Intake manifold, with critique from David Vizard's excellent A-series book.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I had a Sprite and loved it....no room for a baby seat though so I sold it back in 1985. Now the girl is 27, just told me she is about to make me a grandpa and the first thing out of my mouth was, "DON'T SELL YOUR TRIUMPH, YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER!!!" She has an absolutely beautifully restored Spitfire. Next thing from her mouth was, "Are you gonna buy me another car daddy?"

Pitty me please, I have been wrapped around that girls little finger since August 15, 1985.

or I dunno...

The engine looks awesome so far Stu! I am looking forward to seeing more of this build!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    More pics from yesterday:

Crank pulley

Amd the second-cutest hose in the BMC parts catalog. The top spot, of course, goes to the question-mark hose for the heater.

David, I hung on to my Sprite until '98 and really wish I still had it. I'd built one hell of a 1275 for it, and that thing would really move. Almost but not quite too much power for the chassis, just perfect.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looking great, Stu. This definitely should keep you busy for a while.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. camwader's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jon
    That is looking good. It certainly brings back memories - my first car, an Austin A40 Farina, ran the 1098cc version.

I still have a 1275cc front wheel drive lump in my Midas.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    I'm in the process of racerizing a 1963 Sprite Mk II 1000 ( 1098 motor), for my and my wife's mid life crisis. Should be a fun little driver when we get it finished. It's pretty much stripped down to the bare chassis ( unibody), for some serious sheet metal repair. Will post a few photos later on as we start to get it reassembled.
    CHEERZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Quote Originally Posted by camwader View Post
    That is looking good. It certainly brings back memories - my first car, an Austin A40 Farina, ran the 1098cc version.

I still have a 1275cc front wheel drive lump in my Midas.
    For the folks that don't know: The FWD version is fascinating. When Sir Alec designed the Mini (back when one man could design a whole car) he made the gearbox bolt on to the bottom of the engine (in place of the oil pan), and they shared an oil supply. This led to problems later on, but made for a very compact drive unit.

My MkI Mini had a 1098 in it, in place of the original 848. That's another one I wish I still had, nothing drives like a Mini.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Finally got some time to work on it tonight:

I made some head nuts and studs from hex styrene 1/5 scale BMC 948cc engine , and painted the assembly using the Microballoons trick on the cast surfaces.

Painted intake (also added the retaining nuts and washers) and started the water pump pulley.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Starting to come together now:

Block painted, head mounted and I remembered to put that silly hose on first. Also decided to build it as a typical "semi- hot 1/5 scale BMC 948cc engine " engine, to which end I've installed an LCB header. Might add larger carbs, too, but they'll still be SU fuel leakers.

Sparking plugs. I won't paint the tips until the wires go on.

The flywheel is a gear from my RC parts collection, modified a bit.

Started the carb heat shield and dipstick (made the same as the original, half-round folded over).

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    This is just too cool for words..............
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15