Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 08-22-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

While I was waiting for stuff to dry on the Cord, I started a new build, Revell 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell 's 1/12 50th Anniversary 57 Chevy. It's the exact same kit made by Revell 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell of Germany except the tires are better quality. The stock tires however are not made to fit the plastic white walls so some modification will have to be made to the wheels and the white walls will have to be paintedon. It's going to take a little figuring out but the solution is not impossible. I want the car to look fairly stock. The kit does not come with steelie wheels, just a backing and either hubcaps or mags. I may have to scratchbuild some new wheels to fit the tires and some brake drums if I want bolt on wheels.

In any case, here is a small part of the build. It's the fuel injection for the 283 with some of the pipes and tubes. It still needs more so I'll have to do a little more picture searching to see what I need to fill in. The assembly was sprayed with several different colors of Model Master's metalizers but not buffed out. A little black wash was added but I'm still going to add some more weathering 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell as I go along. I had to strip the block and repaint it because of a stupid rookie mistake. I didn't want to use the Hemi orange on the Chevy so I primed the block with MM gray primer 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell and then used Krylon orange over that. Big Booo Booo. The two don't go together well at all.
      the Krylon sticks to the primer 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell fairly well but when you scrape 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell it for a gluing 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell surface, it peels off like a rubber gasket. It's been stripped, resanded and will be painted Model Master's Huggar Orange lacquer 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell which is more of a Chevy color. More pics after that's been done.

Build Photos

1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell-dsc00010-jpg  1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell-dsc00017-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Looks like a real fuelie intake setup to me Jeff!!.. If you need more pics of a real one, check out that Fuel Injection Repair site I posted a few years back in the "Real cool rods" thread.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's where it was!!! Thanks Guido,. I'm going right there.

1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Nertz. Hey Guido, they shut that site down until next year. I found some good pics anyhow. That dang fuel injection has more tubes and pipes than the New York City subway system. I went and added as much as I could figure out what went where. Any more than that would be too much. The pics below show where I ended up. Tomorrow, I glue the manifold to the block and add some more "rigging".

Attached Images Attached Images 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell-dsc00015-jpg  1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell-dsc00032-jpg  1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell-dsc00035-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 08-22-09 at 10:41 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Oh Yea Baby; you've got the idea. This is one of those areas that just beg for detailing, and you are doing that. Look forward to more.T:u*****
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Rick. I cemented the manifold to the block this morning. I have wires hanging all over the place. They'll be connected once the engine is in the bay. I'll have the pictures up later.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Nertz. Hey Guido, they shut that site down until next year.
    Try www.archive.org to see if they have anything on that site.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Herman. Looks like that link broke it loose. You should see what the engine looks like now with all the parts, plumbing 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell and wiring added. It looks like my engine sprouted hair. I'd get some new pics but both my laptop and my desk top puter have blown out. They both have my photo resizing and cropping programs so I'm out of the photo business for a short while. I'm using my wife's computer for regular posts. I'll fiddle with my camera and see what I can do but the pics won't be as good as usual.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. That's some pretty nice detail you are putting on. Good use of metalizer 1/12 scale 57 Chevy by Revell paint too.
    Giorgio
    -------
    Everyone seems normal until you get to know them &8&8&8
    http://www.miniartpaint.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Giorgio. I finished the transmission tonight. I used the t-10 included in the kit so I would have a 4 on the floor. The linkages and levers or whatever you call them have been added but I think you'll only be able to see it from under the car. Give me some time and I'll get the pics up somehow.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's an update on my progress on the 57 Chevy. The reason you haven't sen any posts about it is because about 2 weks ago, the disc drive fell out of my laptop. When I put it back in, the computer shut itself off and remained that way. I couldn't get it back on. I took it to be fixed and found out that the entire hard drive is gone, clear and kaput. I lost all my reasearch pics which is not a great tragedy since I can go back on the net and restore them all but the worst part is I lost my Photoshop program so I can't crop, resize, add text or anything. I'm photographically out of business until my puter comes back from the fix it shop.

In the meantime, let me tell you what I've done. I've completed the stock frame, added a scratchbuilt rear parallel spring suspension, and weathered the whole thing. I'm in the middle of fabricating scratchbuilt custom bucket seats upholstered in leather with the diamond tufted cushions. I think I've finally got the technique down so it looks like it should. The trick is to make the cushion like the real thing where you cut holes in the foam pad where the buttons go. The leather also has to be well skived thin. when I made the seat before, I had glued the leather down first and then installed the buttons. This time, I put the buttons in first and then glued it down so it has that multi seam look like the real deal. The final problem was the sixe of the buttons. Straight pin heads were too big for 1/12 scale and red colored pladtic ended pins looked like the buttons were the size of tomatoes. The solution to the problem was bizarre but effective. I was in the bathroom talking to my wife about whatever and I looked at the vanity where she keeps her stuff. I spotted a plastic hair brush, the kind that has the plastic bristles with the tiny bulb on the ends. EUREKA!!! The little bulbs were just the right size for the buttons. I went to the dollar store and bought 5 hair brushes with different colored bulbs, blue, gray, red, green and white. I used the one with the red tipped bristles and voila, Perfect diamond tufted buttons. As soon as I can get ahold of my computer again, I'll present a tutorial on the whole thing. It's easy and looks fantastic if I do say so myself. I'll stop here. I'm about to go to the Air Force Museum today, a benefit of visiting my son in law in Dayton. It's a good day.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. well your doing one heck of a job so far bud, keep us posted..........stormin Norman
    REAL RACE CARS DON'T HAVE DOORS $$**$$
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Norman. Thanks for the kind words. My Photoshop program is still unavailable and the unmodified pics are too big to post. I've been working on seats a bit more and have been working with several different types of leathers. I think I have the technique down pretty well. Like I mentioned before, the whole procedure will be put into a tutorial as son as I can get the pics worked out. Even though the seat I'm making is only 1/12, the same technique holds for every large scale we build in. Also, I discovered that even though vinyl covereing is more convenient, leather actually works a lot better and can be made to look more natural by patient and careful skiving. I found that the vinyl, unless it comes in a very thin section is too thick for certain applications especially in smaller areas. This whole thing led me to a slight change in my modeling philosophy which I'll discuss in another forum area at a later date. It'll make loads of sense.

Last edited by hot ford coupe; 09-17-09 at 01:25 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. you got it buba...............stormin Norman
    REAL RACE CARS DON'T HAVE DOORS $$**$$
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's a further update on this build. As of this afternoon, my wife's laptop which I was using to post has now officially expired. . I had to go to Best Buy and pick up a new computer so I wouldn't be without the internet for any length of time. The new puter has a basic photo editing program so I can start taking pictures tomorrow which I'll finally be able to add to the site.;';;'; I can't believe that my desktop AND both my wife's AND my laptops all blew out at the same time. It was like I suddenly got cut off from the rest of the world. What a rotten feeling.

QUOTE QUOTE #15