Close

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-29-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I might as well introduce my next project right here. There's not much to do while I'm waiting for paint to dry on the Big Drag body so I'm going back to my first love. I'm starting a Big Deuce build like the one I built when I was 13 back in the early months of 1964. It'll be a relatively stock Starbird designed red Big Deuce (stock but definitely not box stock Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC ) with a few very, very slight changes. My original had the parts pack kit supercharger and the old white wall rear slicks added. This one will have that as well as a 40 ford dash, wire wheels, full upholstery and a bunch of other little surprises under the skin. Yes Ken, there will be a bucket full of brass parts added since, even though the newer kits are high quality, there are still a number of toy like parts that need attention. The basic look will be there but with some modernization. Here is a picture of what it's going to look like. I found this picture of a deuce for sale on the net so I'm taking no credit for the picture (except for adding the white walls)

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Classic; I'm looking forward to seeing this be built with all the trick stuff you do.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Ken. I'm actually glad to be back in the hot Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC rod building arena which, as I mentioned, is my first love. I burned out so badly but I'm not going to let that happen again. I know what caused it and I know a lot better how to avoid it.

Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Looking forward to seeing a full-fendered Deuce for a change.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got it, OBH. I may even put in that Olds engine I made way back when. I dug it out and restored what was broken and now I can finish it. I'll build both the Olds and the Poncho and see what I like better. The deep green of the Olds engine combined with the red of the deuce might make some of you sick.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I decided to put the Olds engine into the deuce and I'll be modifying the 39 Ford tranny to fit the Oldsmuch larger bell housing. I don't know whether or not that's even possible with the real thing but when you're doing it on plastic parts, it doesn't seem to matter. I've also decided to put in a scratchbuilt dash board. At first, I wanted to use the 40 Ford dash but I've seen that done in a number of real deuces. I thought I'd take a shot at a 46-48 Ford dash but I really couldn't find pictures that I wanted. Instead, I decided to put in the dash board from a 1939 Puddlejumper or in other words, I've designed a custom dash out of my own skull that I''m scratchbuilding. I'm taking my clues from the work of our esteemed member Steve Osbourne and using lacewood trim on the dash and the rest of the interior as well. I'll take pictures once I get it done.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    And we're off ! Here are the first pics of the red Big Deucer. I've got the first part of the dash made. I found the wood in a Woodcrafter store in my area. They sell smaller pieces of exotic wood for making pens, handles, bowls and other smaller items. I found a nice hunk of lacewood that isn't too hard to cut and carve. I normally would have used rosewood or ebony but I don't have a blow torch to cut them with.

Here's the first pic of the dash to show how the whole thing is developing.

The next picture shows how I built up the brass surround for the gauge faces. I used brass strips, one 1/4 inch stripbent and soldered to form the inner ring and two 3/32 strips bent and soldered around that in a staggered or stepped Art Deco pattern. The speedometer and tach will go into the inner ring which still needs rounding and polishing. You can also see the 1930s Art Deco step pattern in the wood as well.

On the other side, I will have a working glove compartment with the wood door. I had trouble getting a well fitting door so I decided to put a brass ring around the door and that came out fine. Besides, it matches the gauge frame but with only 1 ring.

At this point, I'll be starting a center placed 30's style Art Deco radio grill built up from polished tin. Then, I'll add some vents, knobs, switches and whatever else I can stuff in.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Your break from building big cars has really paid off Jeff......the old creative juices are flowing for sure now. Great to have you back building & posting....now if we can just get Crazy Steve cranked back up we'll be smokin'.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Thanks Ken. I'm actually glad to be back in the hot Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC rod building arena which, as I mentioned, is my first love. I burned out so badly but I'm not going to let that happen again. I know what caused it and I know a lot better how to avoid it.
    I have experienced that burnt out feeling recently myself. That's why I built a bunch of airplanes just to do something different and faster. These cars take a lot of time; months to build. Each little part has got to be thought out and then built. I'm back at it again now and to tell you the truth, I feel more passionate and driven about building cars than ever before. I hope the candle stays lite for both of us. That dash is outstanding, by the way. Ken
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 02-03-12 at 10:48 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Don. It's been a hard and frustrating road back but having met Darryl Starbird and finding that Big Drag was the shot in the arm (or elsewhere) I needed to get going again. Now if Stevie came back, wouldn't that be great again. It's also really good to see you building the Chevaston again. I've been following that one so close, I have nose prints on my computer screen that won't come off. A few decent crayons and the problem should be licked. Thanks, Ken for the kind compliment. You speak the modeling truth. I did the same thing as you with the aircraft as well. I hope that candle stays lit for a long time myself. I mentioned a while back about AMS (advanced modeler's syndrome for the uninitiated) and how we used joke about it but it really is a lot more serious than that. It can take a huge bite out of the passion for building until it's gone and then it's so hard to get it back. The main thing is to build for yourself and your own purposes at your own speed, skill and detail level. If you don't feel like putting in a particular detail because it's too stressful, then by all means leave it out. No one really cares except you. If you build for someone else's desires, (unless you're getting a hefty price for your efforts), you give yourself a back seat and the relaxation, fun and enjoyment take a serious hit. BTW, I build for my wife's desires too because when she likes the results, she lets me go and buy more stuff. Believe it or not, The brass ring took me 3 attempts to get right. That wood gauge surround took me 4 attempts to get like that. The door took me about the same. I couldn't get one that fit well so I wrapped it with the brass as a last minute thought. The moral of this story. It may look great in the pictures, but if you know how many failures come up and how much trouble it becomes, it puts everything back into perspective and kills the intimidation factor. There's no modeling secret except, time and perseverance. Knowing when to let go is also a big part of it. That's the hardest part of the cure Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC for AMS.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    More work tonight on the dash. I'm putting together an Art Deco styled radio grill that goes in the center of the dash. I've only put a few pieces together so I can show you the development. After this is finished and polished, it will look a great deal better. It doesn't pay to polish it now since I'm just going to make a mess later.

This pic shows the overall piece.

The next two pictures shows the Art Deco center portion from 2 different angles so you can get the Chrysler Building effect.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Only one picture tonight. I completed the Art Deco cathedral style radio grill. I had to ake a little design change but I think theresult is just as good. The grill was soldered and glued together from 20 individual parts. I know that the grill could have been made much more simply by cutting the outside portion from one piece of brass but I needed to practice my soldering. I'm sure if I can solder this together, I will be able to solder pretty much anything I need. Now, all I need to do is polish the grill to remove all of the little nicks, scratches and sharp edges and make it look ready to put in.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's more dashboard for you. I threw the first color coat on the dash and then trial fitted a few of the parts. I'll be adding the Art Deco gauge faces, the clock face, the radio and all the knobs and twirly things you normally find on dashes a bit later. As I mentioned before, this dash belongs to a 1939 Puddlejumper Deluxe or in other words, I designed it myself. I hope it fits the requirements of a decent dashboard.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I love it!
    Carry on.
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Daniel. I forgot to mention that the clear piece in the speedometer surround is real glass. I figured out how to cut small pieces of glass and fit them inside the brass frame. I'm using blank microscope slides and cutting them with a diamond wheel. I just hope I don't slash my fingers to ribbons.

QUOTE QUOTE #15