Close

Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC
Accepted Payment Types

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-29-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I might as well introduce my next project right here. There's not much to do while I'm waiting for paint to dry on the Big Drag body so I'm going back to my first love. I'm starting a Big Deuce build like the one I built when I was 13 back in the early months of 1964. It'll be a relatively stock Starbird designed red Big Deuce (stock but definitely not box stock Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC ) with a few very, very slight changes. My original had the parts pack kit supercharger and the old white wall rear slicks added. This one will have that as well as a 40 ford dash, wire wheels, full upholstery and a bunch of other little surprises under the skin. Yes Ken, there will be a bucket full of brass parts added since, even though the newer kits are high quality, there are still a number of toy like parts that need attention. The basic look will be there but with some modernization. Here is a picture of what it's going to look like. I found this picture of a deuce for sale on the net so I'm taking no credit for the picture (except for adding the white walls)

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Ton. They're a lot more stable now that their secure.

Thanks for the tip Stu. I did think of that but with my current brain, I'd probably forget about it. The way I handle the situation is this. The door still needs a bit more plastic to continue the stamped body rail (for lack of a better term), the holes for the hinges need to be filled in like on the real thing and before I paint, the door still needs to be sanded and the door jambs need to be refined a bit. That's where I slightly round the edge of the door so it looks more natural. On top of that, the paint won't tend to shrink away from the edge like it does when it's sharp so I get a it more even paint thickness in that area.One reason I did the hinges as one of the first steps is that since I'm following the original 1963 Big Deuce instructions, that's the first thing they tell you to do. All in all, I'm glad you're picking up on some of these small details I might miss.

Hey Don. Believe it or not, I thought of that too but honestly, I forgot to do that. I was going to put some notches on the edges as well. Getting the tails pinned in is definitely a very important step. My only saving grace is that the hinge tails aren't parallel so there is some locking but not as much as if I remembered to drill the dang holes. I'll remember to do that for the other side. Thanks for noticing that.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    More work done on the deuce tonight. Over the last couple of days, I was completing the hinges on the right door and got that all done . Next, I went to the trunk lid, cut it out and fined all the sharp edges down so they wouldn't tend to crack as Don Garrett pointed out early on. I did some heavy research and found out how the rumble seat Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC mechanism works. Tonight was spent duplicating the mechanism which is relatively simple. The picture below shows what they look like and how they're attached to the trunk lid or boot as our friends on the other side of the pond call it.

And a close up. You can see that, like the hinges on the passenger side of the door which you can't see now, I remembered to cut the "pin" holes into the hinge tail as per Don Garrett's suggestion. Right now, they're only superglued in place. The originals are screwed into the lid sheet metal but when the back cushion is in place, they're hidden. The hinges are attached with a hinge pin to a vertical bar in the fender. That too is hidden when the upholstery is done. See you next time.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sterling work Jeff.
    Just thinking ahead a little...you may need to solder some sort of travel stop on the vertical bar to prevent the lid from swinging completely thru it's arc and damaging the paint job (when fully open).
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Sterling work Jeff.
    Just thinking ahead a little...you way need to solder some sort of travel stop on the vertical bar to prevent the lid from swinging completely thru it's arc and damaging the paint job (when fully open).
    Right you are, Don. I was planning to have the cushions touch together to act as the stop but I'm not sure at this point how much protection I can get that way. What makes me think the cushions will act as the stop, on the real thing, it appears that when the cushions and upholstery are not in place, the lid rests against the inside surface of the floor pan. Thanks for the heads up. I'll need those throughout this build.

QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Hope you don't mind me tossing in these little tips from time to time Jeff (you don't really need my help, you've got it handled just fine)...the only reason for me doing it is to hopefully touch on a thing or two that may be second nature to us but helpful to other members.

With any kind of luck they may not have to screw up as many parts as we have learning by trial & error.....
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Hope you don't mind me tossing in these little tips from time to time Jeff (you don't really need my help, you've got it handled just fine)...the only reason for me doing it is to hopefully touch on a thing or two that may be second nature to us but helpful to other members.

With any kind of luck they may not have to screw up as many parts as we have learning by trial & error.....
    No problem at all, Don. Don't forget that my knowledge of automotive subjects is pretty limited. I rely on builders like yourself who have a good deal of experience and have worked on cars first hand to help me get my facts straight. Comment all you want and that goes for other members too as long as they remember that my decisions are final or else I'll get burned out again.

QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Lo an behold, I got the rumble seat Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC hinge mechanism working. One thing I've noticed since I started this build is how many assemblies determine when other assemblies need to be completed. In other words, so many assemblies depend on so many other assemblies before anything can be completed. I'll give an example. I got the doors working but couldn't do anything else with the body or the interior until I got the rumbleseat worked out. Now that I have the hinge for the rubleseat working, I can't complete that assembly until I get the floor of the interior worked out which determines the depth of the rumbleseat compartment. I can't complete that until I get the frame worked out so I can determine its relationship to the interior floor. I can't finish the interior floor until I make room for the frame boxing which makes the rails a slight bit wider. I'm in the middle of boxing the frame and making all the holes where things need to go in and come out and on and on and-------. I'll wake up one ay and I think I'll discover by accident that the whole model is finished.

QUOTE QUOTE #53

8. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    Jeff is that something like "the Knee Bone connected to the shin bone"?

Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #54

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Yeah, I guess you could call it that. Usually in my own case my head bone is connected to my butt bone half the time.

QUOTE QUOTE #55

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Last night, I glued the frame together and stabilized the position. Tonight, I filled in all of the cross member joints by plastic welding where it was needed. It really improves the strength. I'm not sure yet if I need to add more cross member supports because the original car did not have anything more than the ladder frame. Since the engine will be the Olds 303 with 3 Stromberg 97s, does anyone out there know whether or not a real deuce with that kind of engine power would need to have its frame strengthened with extra support? The real Big Deuce was more of a trailer queen so it wouldn't be affected as much as if it were a daily driver. I'm building this deuce as if it will be well driven but not driven so hard it could be considered abused. Thanks for the info in advance.

QUOTE QUOTE #56

11. FYI, the kit engine is a Pontiac.

As to the frame, we're going back into era-correctness again, and owners' preference since it's a hot Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC rod. By modern standards the Deuce frame needs strengthening even if it had a 5-horse Briggs under the hood. But until about the 1980's nobody did it.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #57

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick Stu. I was sure either you or Don would be able to answer that question. You're right about the kit engine being a Pontiac. However, a while ago I was able to scratchbuild an Olds 303 engine circa 1949-50. I never finished it because it fell off a shelf before I had a chance to complete it and it broke. Last month I repaired it and am going to use that engine instead of the Poncho. It's probably going to look a bit strange being green against the Flame Red body, sort of Christmassy but I figured somebody somewhere had to have used the Olds engine in a red deuce. Thanks again for the info, Stu.

QUOTE QUOTE #58

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The frame is just about done. I originally tried to plastic weld a few surfaces but for the most part, it was not the best technique for the job. Instead, I chipped off what didn't stick too well and used Milliput 2 part putty Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC which worked out a lot better. The frame now just needs some smoothing, addition of suspension parts and then paint. No pics yet but there will be shortly.

QUOTE QUOTE #59

14. ewaskew's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Earl
    Very nice looking details
    Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #60

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Earl.

I may have been a bit misleading about the plastic welding. I don't want anyone to think it's a bad technique. The correct technique is to do your welding in two steps and add your filler plastic in layers , not in single globs.

The first step after the liquid cement is allowed to set overnight, is to make some strong welds to give the frame more strength and stability. The technique worked very well for that. It's the use of the plastic weld as a filler that is in question. If you try to add too much plastic too fast, you wind up melting what you're trying to fill and that's where you can get into trouble. You can easily distort what you're working on especially if you rush or get sloppy. The idea is to first do the stabilization, let cool and then add as much plastic as you safely can in layers, with cooling in between layers rather than all at once so you keep the heat down. Lastly, after you carefully trimmed your plastic, set the final shape (if necessary) and fill the little pinholes with a 2 part putty Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC that won't shrink. That way, you keep the frame strong with as much styrene Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC as possible while keeping your putty Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC as thin as possible. In other words, the putty Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC is used for spot filling. You also need to keep your heat setting (if you can) as low as possible so you don't destroy your thin areas. Sorry for the misinfo. BTW, you must, must, must use a respirator of some kind or you'll melt your brain with the burning styrene Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC fumes. Safety first.

QUOTE QUOTE #61