Close

Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC
Accepted Payment Types

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-29-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I might as well introduce my next project right here. There's not much to do while I'm waiting for paint to dry on the Big Drag body so I'm going back to my first love. I'm starting a Big Deuce build like the one I built when I was 13 back in the early months of 1964. It'll be a relatively stock Starbird designed red Big Deuce (stock but definitely not box stock Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC ) with a few very, very slight changes. My original had the parts pack kit supercharger and the old white wall rear slicks added. This one will have that as well as a 40 ford dash, wire wheels, full upholstery and a bunch of other little surprises under the skin. Yes Ken, there will be a bucket full of brass parts added since, even though the newer kits are high quality, there are still a number of toy like parts that need attention. The basic look will be there but with some modernization. Here is a picture of what it's going to look like. I found this picture of a deuce for sale on the net so I'm taking no credit for the picture (except for adding the white walls)

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Gunny. Black leather and stainless steel is a good combo along with the gray wool. If you need any advice, don't hesitate to ask.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #167

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Thanks Jeff, will do...probably more then you wish. LOL
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #168

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The door is always open.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #169

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Another quickie update. I'm still working on the seats. I've made a frame so that the seat will move backwards and forwards like an adjustable seat. I've also made the hinges so the seat can be folded forward. This weekend, I'm taking time off on the deuce and I'll be fiddling with my new 1/32 B 25 kit. The wingspan is 2ft 4 inches. This thing is immense. Next year, the same company is putting out a 1/32 scale B 17. I've already seen the prototype built. It's got a 3 foot wingspan which is half the size of my main workbench. For those that are following the deuce build, I'll be picking that up again on Monday so don't worry.

QUOTE QUOTE #170

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It's been about a little over a week since I updated my thread. So I don't burn out, I've been playing around with the B 25 kit and doing a little plastic painting. I've also been practicing my brass work, making sure I get some good joints. I've also been designing the seat hinges so the seats will fold forward. I'll be getting back to the deuce shortly so stay tuned periodically.

QUOTE QUOTE #171

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Have I quit this build? Nope. Not at all. I've just been involved in a self challenge and that's making brass landing gear for my B 25. It's been one heck of a learning experience but definitely a positive one. As soon as I solve one more problem, I'm getting back to the deuce.

QUOTE QUOTE #172

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Amazingly, this evening I decided to get the old deuce out of the moth balls and start working on her again after a 2 1/2 year break. I took apart the seats and thinned them out a bit to fit better in the interior. It was good to get back to the bench. More to come.

QUOTE QUOTE #173

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Tonight I started remaking my seats. After I thinned them to fit better in the interior, they looked terrible. I decided that the diamond tufted center sections just looked too sloppy. The suede covering just looked altogether wrong. This time I'm covering the outer parts with a white pearl Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC lambskin with a red tuck and rolled center. It'll take me a while to get the seats done since the lambskin is a bear to skiv without putting a hole in the worst place possible. Hopefully, it will take less than the 80,000 hours I estimated it would take.

QUOTE QUOTE #174

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    While I was making the seats, I noticed that I really didn't like the way I did the frame. I also decided that flame red was not the right color for the model. I'm taking the frame apart, fiddling with some of the fixtures (for lack of a better word) and will be repainting everything a different color, possibly some shade of blue. I think this reworking will make the whole thing look a lot better since when I got it to this stage originally, I was getting burned out and I was rushing to complete the assemblies. Back to the drawing board.

QUOTE QUOTE #175

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Tonight I sat down and took a really hard look at what I've done on this model. I've completely redesigned it and decided to make it a hiboy type roadster with a Carson top, individual fenders (motorcycle from fenders and recontoured rear fenders) and a medium to light metallic Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC blue paint job. I'll close this build out because it will no longer resemble a Big Deuce model. I'll start a new thread when I have enough done so I can take pictures. I think this thing will look a heck of a lot cooler the new way.

Last edited by hot ford coupe; 01-23-15 at 10:25 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #176

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Your story remember mine with the Avanti I did in the sixties: when I was early retired (2002), I found that the wheelcovers needed to be done again, the paint was no more the way I liked, the leather had glue stains...At the end, it was a 95% new construction, but still an Avanti!
    QUOTE QUOTE #177

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hi Roger. Don't worry, I'm mot stopping the build. This build is going to be completely different to the point where I won't be able to call it the red Big Deuce tribute anymore. I think it will be a much cooler looking hot Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC rod and will deserve its own space. I'll be making (hopefully they'll look right) some motorcycle type fenders for the front, recontoured bobbed fenders for the rear without the running boards, a rumble seat Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC (which was originally planned anyway), my Olds 303 engine as before, a modified Carson top and a beautiful light to medium metallic Monogram's Big Deuce Tribute Build By HFC blue paint job. I'm really excited about it. It won't be long before I have some pictures to show how it will go together. I'm sure you'll like it like I do.

QUOTE QUOTE #178

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, iI'll tell you when you publish pictures!
    QUOTE QUOTE #179

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got it, Roger. Wait until you see how I do the interior.

QUOTE QUOTE #180

15. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Jeff any progress?
    QUOTE QUOTE #181