Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-22-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Haven't seen many Lindberg builds here. Are the kits really that bad?

Guess I'll find out soon. I figured I'll modify whatever I build anyway, so might as well start with a cheap kit Got a 3-in-1 T kit coming. We'll see how nasty it is, and what I can do with it.

Stay tuned!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've got a couple of the Lindy 1/8 scale kits, the Exterminator and the Big Red Rod and they're really not that bad. There are 4 kits that I know, the two that I have, the BobTailed T and the 3 n 1 set that you're getting. They're not quite as well done as the Monogram kits, but then again, with a little work, you can get some pretty good results, especially if you do some scratchbuilding. It's unfortunate that a lot of us forget one thing about many of our favorite 1/8 scale kits. When you get down to it, a bunch of those kits are really toy cars that we build, modify and superdetail so they become one of a kind museum pieces. The Pocher kits are different in that they have so much detail, I believe that they were designed first as museum pieces and not toys. Personally, I'd love to see you show a Lindy work in progress No love for Lindberg? . With the way you do things, it would be a fantastic learning experience for a lot of us.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Ummmm yeah............Lindy's............ I have never had a good experience with a Lindy kit how ever the Y Block motor in the Exterminator kit is quite nice so I have heard. Then again, I honestly do not know anything about 1:8 Lindberg kits so maybe I should sit down and shut up for now. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Keith Hartley's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Keith
    Hi Guys!

There is also one called the "Tall T", which I have. I also have the "Big Red Rod" and an older one called "The Orange Crate". I'm curious to see how this build goes. Good Luck!

Have A Great Day!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    I have been considering purchasing the Exterminator kit and using it as a template for a scratch build No love for Lindberg? . Eighty bucks is pretty cheap to avoid having to do layout drawings! The chassis would really translate well in brass. Looking forward to your build!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I was thinking about the Exterminator, but I don't have room for a slingshot.

Also, we'll see how dried up my paints have gotten during my inactivity.

No love for Lindberg?
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I forgot about the Tall T and the Orange Crate. I remember when the Tall T came out, everybody hated it. They called it the telephone booth on wheels. That was also one of the kits where a little work would give you a fine model.

The only thing I didn;t like about the Exterminator was the rear body shape. It was just a little too square for me. That's easily fixable. I have tons of dried up paints, too. I'll need to clean out what I have.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. justandy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    anders
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. justandy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    anders
    this is a lindberg tall T that ive build and modified. ive only used the parts in the box.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    This is exactly the thing I'm talking about. Here's a builder who took a supposedly inferior kit and turned it into a fine model. That brings us to another discussion of exactly what defines an inferior kit. This topic came up on another modeling website and caused quite a stir. Are we to assume that a good kit is one where you can open the box, throw in a couple of paint bottles and some glue, shake the box and out comes a museum piece? It seems in many cases out there, (not here) that's what is expected. If the kit doesn't contain sufficient detail, it's no good. If there are a few little inaccuracies, that's no good either. To me, an inferior kit is one where some of the parts are unusable because of incomplete casting No love for Lindberg? , warpage or breakage or where the parts don't fit, are not consistently in the same scale or cannot be made to fit. If there are always missing parts like bodies and engine block halves, that's plain inferior. Take a look at the Pocher kits. Some of those kits are downright nightmares to build but look at the results of some of our builders. Those kits come with ridiculous price tags and are prized. I guess one man's builder's prize is another's nightmare.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. justandy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    anders
    now a days i build a 1:24 vw bug -66 from hasegawa No love for Lindberg? . it`s a LOT smaller but its not going to be orginal. its going to have wide back wheels, narrowed front beem, and im going to try to make it a low rat, and a diorama to top it all never build a diorama so this is going to be exited..
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Anyone have a Jag rear suspension they can part with? I want to build a pretty trick T.

No love for Lindberg?
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    OBH no I do not have one but I do have quite a few images if you want to build one.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I'm out of practice, and my hands are killing me, so I bought a dusty, complete E-Type built kit. And some other goodies.

It's slowly coming together in my mind, but once the box is open it'll tell me what it wants to be.

No love for Lindberg?
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    No love for Lindberg?-gene-chan-1-jpgSo after a long morning of Googling, I've found my inspiration.

Won't be an exact replica, but it's definitely going in this direction.

No love for Lindberg?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15