Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-17-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here’s the thread I hope you’ve all been waiting for. I’ve had a good chance to evaluate the TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience 426 and I’ll be documenting the build and super-detailing for the new TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience 426 engine. Hopefully, this will serve as an instruction manual and a tutorial.

[B][U]The Evaluation[/U][/B]
      First things first. Over all, I found this kit to be quite an excellent kit but it’s not for the rank beginner. I think at this point, the kit is ideal for the intermediate builder who has had some experience and success with aftermarket resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience engines whether in large or small scale. With a minimum of instruction, though, which what this manual should provide, anyone should be able to handle the build with a minimum of problems and challenges.
      The biggest concern is the roughness of the surfaces. It wasn’t a major thing for the block since there you’ll want a sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience cast finish but on some of the smooth parts, especially the thin ones, you’ll need to proceed with care. Still, the roughness should not be considered a deal breaker when you’re thinking of buying one of these beauties.
      Speaking of the thin parts, they can break very easily if you handle them roughly. When you sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience them, go a bit slower. There’s no real rush and the result will be well worth the effort.
      The next concern is the fit of the parts. I was really happy to see these parts fit together so well. Even with some of the roughness on the mating surfaces, the parts went together extremely well. The fit reminded me of how a really great injection molded kit goes together. I don’t even feel you’ll need to worry much about adding filler.
      A third concern is the accuracy. To be totally honest, I’m not all that familiar with the correct measurements of the real thing but considering the folks who put the time and effort into this venture, I wouldn’t worry about accuracy. I’m sure that has all been addressed.
      Another great thing is that you can build this kit the way you want. There are plenty of options available. All you’ll need is a little planning.
      When all is said and done, I think this kit is a huge winner. IMHO, it’s better than a resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience kit. The parts are light, accurate, well made and extremely consistent in thickness unlike resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience castings. There’s absolutely no part shrinkage or warping. You will definitely need to put a little effort into the preparation, but no one ever said if you put the parts in a bag with some glue and paint and shake, a completed model will fall out. TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience , you done great. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You guys got me dead to right. Those arent the original plug boots at all. To sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience all the original ones to look like rubber, they would have had to increase the padding in my workshop and I would have run out of my meds. I was cleaning out some plastic drawers you get at WalMart and something fell out. They were the little rubber feet that go into the bottom of the draw set and I was sitting there with 8 of 'em. The feet looked about the size of the holes in the covers and the vinyl tubing we get in the deuce kit for the oil lines fit perfectly inside the hole. The blue plug wires are three strands of 30 gauge wire twisted up and they fit perfectly inside the vinyl tube. In other words, voila! I knew they were too small but I figured what the heck. I didn't have to sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience anything and I now have enough meds for the rest of the year. What would probably have worked better were some recycled rubber number buttons from an old TV remote. I didn't have any so I went with the best I could. Besides I have a special wrench designed to remove spark plugs with undersized plug boots. Supermodeler gave it to me as a gift.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The boots are easy enough...wonder if tiny o-rings are available.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I was fiddling around with some photography the other day. I thought I'd show you what I done did. I made a custom wood engine stand in the style of the kind that they used in WWII for the Allison engines. It definitely makes display and storage a bit easier. I'm still thinking of what kind of finish I want to put on the stand.

I'm still adding little fiddly bits here and there and working on some more weathering The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience . Rick, if it's o.k. with you, I'll hold on to the engine until you'll need it to go somewhere and then I can ship it out from here saving some of the shipping costs. I don't mind putting up the shipping. This way, as I discover more and more details, I can add them to the engine until you need the engine. If you want it done a different way, just let me know.

Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc00002-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 08-06-09 at 10:54 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    That works for me Jeff and it will just keep getting better. I love that engine stand too.

Members, one of you is going to get an amazing work of art from our very own HFC. I'll try to figure out some kind of contest between now and year end.
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    A total masterpiece Jeff. A work of art.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for your kind words and thanks Rick for giving me the artistic freedom to keep on going with this project. I just hope I don't over do the thing. I'm leaving the fore air cleaner off so the carb stays visible. If you guys think it makes the engine look weird, I'll be happy to whip up the other one and see if I can make it removable. I'm not nuts about that idea because the velocity stack is sort of like a potato chip in strength. I don't think it can take much handling. Maybe I'll just color the parts up and leave them in the storage area in the stand.

QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff, when you agreed to build the engine for TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience we asked that you do it way, and you did a sterling job...many thanks from the guys here at TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience .

That being said I will only make "suggestions" based on what I would do, as you've expressed the desire to tinker with it a bit more.

I'd take the 8-ball off the rear carb (it looks a little out of place up there in the wind, at least to me).

Remove the velocity stacks and use just removable air cleaners (there is no rule that says you have to use both or one or the other...builders choice on that one). Display the velocity stacks as an accessory some where with that great looking base.

Make a shifter (flat stock with perhaps holes drilled in it) arm & cable, mounted to the trans using the custom HFC 8-ball shifter knob.

These additions would make it even more exciting as the TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience /HFC giveaway.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Gotcha Don. I kind of felt the the 8ball looked a bit weird myself as I looked at the pictures over and over again. It sort of looks like a big tassle on a beret. I'll also remove the velocity stack. From what I saw, I thought the stack had to go under the air cleaner. That's just my lack of experience with some of the assemblies. Do you have any pictures of the shifter hooked up to that kind of tranny? I can do the T10 but this one I'm just not familiar with. Any more suggestions are more than welcome. You're much more experience with the workings of this engine than I am.

QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    WOW Now I see what ya been do'in. Nice build. I do agree, remove the Top Hat from the carb. As suggested, aircleaner. I really like the 8 Ball as a shifter ball. Will need to see if I can come up w/1 1:8TH scale f/Duce. Paid for a metal Duval Windscreen from EBay. Starting to collect little bits for that soon to be built Hot The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience Rod. Great job hot The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience ford coupe. Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Here you go buddy, cable or hard linkage.....your choice.
    If you want bigger pics google Lokar automatic shifters.
    Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-shifter-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-standardshifter_th-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I can add that Don. Thanks for sending me those. That's what I've been looking for.

QUOTE QUOTE #87