Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-17-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here’s the thread I hope you’ve all been waiting for. I’ve had a good chance to evaluate the TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience 426 and I’ll be documenting the build and super-detailing for the new TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience 426 engine. Hopefully, this will serve as an instruction manual and a tutorial.

[B][U]The Evaluation[/U][/B]
      First things first. Over all, I found this kit to be quite an excellent kit but it’s not for the rank beginner. I think at this point, the kit is ideal for the intermediate builder who has had some experience and success with aftermarket resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience engines whether in large or small scale. With a minimum of instruction, though, which what this manual should provide, anyone should be able to handle the build with a minimum of problems and challenges.
      The biggest concern is the roughness of the surfaces. It wasn’t a major thing for the block since there you’ll want a sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience cast finish but on some of the smooth parts, especially the thin ones, you’ll need to proceed with care. Still, the roughness should not be considered a deal breaker when you’re thinking of buying one of these beauties.
      Speaking of the thin parts, they can break very easily if you handle them roughly. When you sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience them, go a bit slower. There’s no real rush and the result will be well worth the effort.
      The next concern is the fit of the parts. I was really happy to see these parts fit together so well. Even with some of the roughness on the mating surfaces, the parts went together extremely well. The fit reminded me of how a really great injection molded kit goes together. I don’t even feel you’ll need to worry much about adding filler.
      A third concern is the accuracy. To be totally honest, I’m not all that familiar with the correct measurements of the real thing but considering the folks who put the time and effort into this venture, I wouldn’t worry about accuracy. I’m sure that has all been addressed.
      Another great thing is that you can build this kit the way you want. There are plenty of options available. All you’ll need is a little planning.
      When all is said and done, I think this kit is a huge winner. IMHO, it’s better than a resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience kit. The parts are light, accurate, well made and extremely consistent in thickness unlike resin The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience castings. There’s absolutely no part shrinkage or warping. You will definitely need to put a little effort into the preparation, but no one ever said if you put the parts in a bag with some glue and paint and shake, a completed model will fall out. TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience , you done great. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I might as well show what I've done to the block also. This is of course before I add the rest of the nuts and bolts and plumbing The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience . Hope this is o.k.

Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-tdr-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-tdr-carb-jpg 
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Good Gravy! No wonder I will never be master detailer. Letting paint alone for 24 hrs is too much for me. BUT your result is outstanding if you have the patience.

How much time lapsed between coats when - "I then recoated the piece for a total of 8 coats and let that set for 24 hours."
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nice work Jeff!
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    HFC - looks like you actually inserted tiny screws in the fuel pump rim???
    Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-picture-1-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for the kind words. Question 1- I waited about 12 hours between each coat not including the 2 days for the primer The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience . Figure 4-5 days for painting, 1 day for rubbing out the paint, 2 more days for letting the paint harden and 1 day to polish. I figure it took me about a week to do the covers. That's not too bad when you consider all the other work that you have to put in. While the paint dried, I did a lot of sanding The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience , fitting and drilling.

Question 2. The little screws are styrene The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience hex rods cut up and glued to the pump with CA. The same with all the other dark colored bolt heads. The color of the screws is Tamiya The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience Gun Metal acrylic The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience and the pump is Tamiya The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience Titanium.

Hey Syd, I thought yours had real screws in it. I'm knocking myself out to make my engine look as good as yours. You've really done yourself proud with your engine. I'm not trying to beat your attempt. I'm just trying to superdetail this thing up to be worth going into a fully built model. It's got to live up to the TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience name. The only real bolts are the brass colored ones and they're in there for looks only. If I screwed the bolt into the part, it couldn't stand the internal stress so it sits in a slightly larger hole. I already chipped a few areas with a drill and had to repair them with some hard wax painted over. Believe me, this build is not without it's frustrating events to say the least.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've just started out wiring and plumbing The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience up the engine. Most wires will be cut short since the engine isn't installed but it will give some idea of where things are supposed to go (I Think). Actually, I'm almost done with this project. When I get done, I can start writing out some extra tutorials on how I did some of the procedures. Most of what I've done is straight ahead modeling so nothing should be that off the wall. Hope you like.

Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09936-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09938-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09940-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 07-28-09 at 10:13 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I sanded a mountain of sand The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience and I can't sands no more! I figure I'm about 95% done with the TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience Hemi. What's left is the second carb which is in paint drying, plumbing The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience up the fuel system, adding the final nuts and bolts and putting in the final details after I've gone over my research pics one more time. I've decided to leave the carbs completely exposed so the inner details can be viewed without any obstructions. One of the last things I will do before I call it done is to make up some type of engine stand to hold the model. If I were keeping this model, I would display it as a stand alone model rather than put it into something else. The loose wire ends will be secured to the engine stand so they won't flop around and make the model look sloppy. At this point, I'll be able to make a final product review but I want it to be separate from this thread so it won't get lost.

Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09944-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09945-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09948-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Now that's drool-worthy.

I know you put a ton of work into it, and it really paid off
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks OBH. Coming from you that means a lot to me. I'm in the middle of finishing the second carb and will be covering it up with the air cleaner. That way, I have one left for show and the other to look complete.

QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nice job Jeff, can't wait to see the finished product.

TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience asked Jeff to build this engine for two reasons. First, because we knew he'd do it right with lots of detail and an informative tutorial. Secondly, this piece of TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience /HFC art will one day be awarded to one of our site members.

Thats right, you could win this engine. Its going to be used for promotional purposes after which we will find a way to award it to a member.

Stay tuned.
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've done a little more work tonight and all I have left to do is the carb linkage, the final nuts and bolts and of course the dipstick. I also will be building a wooden engine stand for display purposes. I've also included an HFC exclusive. Notice the top of the air cleaner where the wing nut should be. That's a genyoowine HFC inlaid 8 ball. The 8 is actually inlaid into the black bead. Just another few days and I'm done. Hope you like.

Attached Images Attached Images The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09950-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09951-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09953-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09956-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09962-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09968-jpg  The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience-dsc09969-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I think I see a flaw

The spark plug boots are too small. The 1:1 The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience Hemi valve covers have long tubes for the spark plugs to go down, so the OD of the plug boot should be a bit larger than the diameter of the plug and wrench. I seem to recall they're about an inch and a half.
    QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Good eyes OBH..........I don't think those are the "stock" TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience boots. Am I correct HFC? The TDR The TDR 426- The Eval, Build and Superdetailing Experience boots seem to be larger in diameter.

The ones used look like real rubber and the wires go down into them nicely.

No problem though.....heck.....all models have some artistic interpretations.

She is really looking good and I am sure anyone would love to have this baby stuffed into one of their future projects.

Tim
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I dunno. Most of my projects don't even have spark plugs
    QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    How high is up? Busted, you're right. Tim, you're right. Just depends how much dead nut accuracy the builder wants to put in. I haven't gotten to the gingerbread on the 1/6th I'm building but it's big enough to to include the grommets/boots etc. How much detail is enough? I have no idea...if it looks right, job well done.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #76