Close

Another TDR Offy build
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself Ė all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-14-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Rather than hog Daytonatimís thread I will start my own. One thing about this model is TDR Another TDR Offy build provides an abundance of detail parts as shown in image 1. I plan to deviate from the provided parts as I experiment with details. For instance I will replace the provided detail at the bottom of the block on one side with washers and screws plus a styrene Another TDR Offy build cover plate as mocked up in image 2. I think 0.8 cap screws might work for attaching the upper side plates and 1.1 cap screws for the bottom plates as mocked in image 3. I just doubt my ability to make up proper studs and nuts as on the real engine. Anyway this is a start.

Build Photos

Another TDR Offy build-img_2390-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-block-washers-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2406-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The bolts look perfect Syd. Where did you get them, here at SMC?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The bolts look almost like they came from Scale Hardware.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    The bolts are from *************
    http://www.******************/threaded_bolts1.htm

They have Simulated Hex Nuts but not the right size for the block.

Another TDR Offy build
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Trying to figure out the best time to drill small holes. My tied old eyes canít seem to find the holes without some enhancement.

Image 1 is a side plate where I tried to darken the holes with a fine pencil point. Image 2 shows the points better when viewed upside down. The corner holes will be a problem to try to drill with my dremel Another TDR Offy build . Guess they will require hand drilling. Note the bottom corner has a chip where one hole will go. Image 3 shows a side plate with light coat of primer Another TDR Offy build (apparently not light enough as I covered most of the holes.) Image 4 shows the bottom of the primed plate (might be the easiest to see the holes and the positioning pins will then not make the plate wobble.)

Really looks like the best time to drill is before sanding Another TDR Offy build and with darkened holes on the opposite side???

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-img_2407-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2408-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2409-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2410-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd, because these parts are keep so close to scale they tend to get a bit thin in some areas, I wouldn't recommend using a Dremel Another TDR Offy build for any of the bolt holes. Rather go slowly with a pin vise Another TDR Offy build and a small bit........one of those magnifying head band things helps here. If you have the patience start with a bit smaller than you actually need...when the holes are drilled, prime and move up to a larger bit using the first as a pilot hole.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Syd, I use my cordless dremel Another TDR Offy build tool. I can slow it down to almost 0 rpms.

My first hole I drill is with a bit that is .022".....real small and then I step it up from there. I have not had much of a problem with breakout of the sides except when I try to drill too deep, more than about 3/16"

Tim
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I usually drill my holes well before the sanding Another TDR Offy build begins but I don't drill the holes to full size until just before I prime. That way, the hole positions are still unmistakable and if an area gets too thin, I can repair a small hole much easier than a big one. Also, if you sand Another TDR Offy build first, you obscure the bolt positions and have to hope you get it right later. And finally, make sure your new bolts fit the holes well but not tightly before you paint. Otherwise, you wind up excessively handling your painted part to widen the holes and you can crack your part around the holes. I've experienced that one first hand. Felt kinda dopey when it happened. P';,[p
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Got my Offenhauser today along with the MF 1/8th Willy's body. Both amazing models.
    I would love to watch first hand the process that produces the Offenhauser, the detail is amazing. The inside spline on the flywheel is absolutey incredible.
    As has been said elsewhere, these kits are not for the novice and I can see that a lot of care is needed to build one of these scale engines.
    But these will have to wait as I have another 1/8th project on the go!
    Goee aka whodaky

PS thankyou to you guys for your committment to these refreshing new 1/8th models and bodies.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    All good points Daytonatim and HFC. I tend to crash through to the end of everything which is why my block and heads were over sanded. No patience and not experienced with working with my hands. I will post all my mishaps to hopefully deter others from making them.

Another TDR Offy build
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Miniature reamers, like Micro Mark sells, are good for small holes. Drill bits can snag in soft material, breaking the part or the bit. Use a pin vise Another TDR Offy build to drill as small a hole as the smallest reamer will pass through, then gradually work up in size. The reamers are hardened, tapered steel hexagons with no "hook" to catch on the part. Because of their small size and design, they can be spun pretty fast between thumb and finger, and cut surprisingly quickly. Just don't try to force them, the taper will wedge the part in two.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    No kit part likes to be dropped and I seem to drop more than my share but try not to drop these plastic parts. The hard material is becoming a joy to work with as you discover ways to deal with the surface etc. but if you drop a part, watch out. This is the second part I have nicked by dropping it. The fix will be easy with a square cut and a small piece of styrene Another TDR Offy build when assembling but darn it - wish I could have hung on.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-broke-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! I hate when that happens. One other thing I noted about this material is that when you grind it, it powders off instead of leaving those little tags that take forever to get rid of.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I love working with this material. It sands well, takes paint well (including lacquer Another TDR Offy build without crinkling), drills and cuts without melting all over the drill or blade when you can’t slow the tool down enough. BUT you need some shop skills and patience. One can over sand Another TDR Offy build or sand Another TDR Offy build at an angle that destroys fitting the next assembly. AND drilling the bosses for bolts can easily take out an edge if you are not of machinist skill.

The block has made it to paint stage although I seem to remember we were not supposed to glue painted surfaces together. Does that mean I have to sand Another TDR Offy build or scratch an area for glue in final assembly. (Beginner still at this age.)

First image shows what can happen when one sands individual pieces instead of a subassembly (fortunately the block and head now come as complete assemblies). Second image shows the surface as initial sanding Another TDR Offy build begins. I did away with the feature on the bottom right as I wanted to make it more pronounced than is real. I also sanded away the bosses at the bottom and replaced them with washers.

Third image shows the breathers where I tried to sand Another TDR Offy build a smooth mounting surface but managed to cup the bottom surface of the rear breather so it does not exactly meet the mating surface. Fourth image shows the oversized replacement feature and washers acting as bosses on the right side of the block. And finally a painted subassembly.

At my level I think I should buy two issues of each model so I can make all my mistakes on one and learn how to finish the second.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-block-front-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-block-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-left-upright-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-paint-jpg 
    Last edited by sydeem; 05-18-09 at 12:45 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hey Syd, looking good!

I like the way you filled in the seam between the bottom finned plate and the block. It looks just like it should. I forgot to do that on mine. Maybe I should change the design and have the bottom plate just made with the complete lower block.

Yes, this material really is easy to work with. It sands very easy and it does not take a lot of work to get it to a nice surface finish. I agree with you though, you really have to have a steady hand when drilling those holes near the edges or they will break out.

The bolt heads you are using look really nice too.

Keep up the good work and post a lot of pics please!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #15