Close

Another TDR Offy build
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself Ė all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build Another TDR Offy build
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-14-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Rather than hog Daytonatimís thread I will start my own. One thing about this model is TDR Another TDR Offy build provides an abundance of detail parts as shown in image 1. I plan to deviate from the provided parts as I experiment with details. For instance I will replace the provided detail at the bottom of the block on one side with washers and screws plus a styrene Another TDR Offy build cover plate as mocked up in image 2. I think 0.8 cap screws might work for attaching the upper side plates and 1.1 cap screws for the bottom plates as mocked in image 3. I just doubt my ability to make up proper studs and nuts as on the real engine. Anyway this is a start.

Another TDR Offy build

Build Photos

Another TDR Offy build-img_2390-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-block-washers-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2406-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Think I found another use for Mr. Surfacer. I have a heck of a time trying to find a putty Another TDR Offy build easy to work into tight areas. In frustration I dropped globs of Mr. Surfacer (1000 was all I had) to cover split sides of the tranny ring screw holes. (My fault as I was trying to drill these by hand instead of using the dremel Another TDR Offy build and apparently the hand wobble in drilling weakened the sides so when I screwed the bolts in the sides split on some holes.) Anyway it worked as a putty Another TDR Offy build (took a few coats).

Love Ė hate beginning for this model meant I did not work some part finishes as much as I should have. This image also shows how an oversize gap with joints can spoil the look. (Note the rear breather gap due to not properly sanding Another TDR Offy build the mating surfaces.) I have to figure out a way to smooth grooves also.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-trany-mount-broken-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-trany-mount-surfacer-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-blocktranny-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Smoothing the wiring receptacles for the plug wire was an interesting project. Just getting the receptacles separated was fun but Daytonatim explained how earlier when he used his tiniest dremel Another TDR Offy build ball grinder. A toothpick made a good holder for sanding Another TDR Offy build . I didnít smooth the magneto case as much as I should have but leaving dust on the black parts is a photo no-no as has been pointed out by the perfectionists.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-wire-recepticals-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2441-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-img_2443-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The photos look really good Syd. I don't really see any no nos.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Sanding Another TDR Offy build tools - I bought a couple of nail files with foam core, cut them into various shapes and slivers to get into the tight places for smoothing. Now that I know how well this works I can cut up some of my various level sanding Another TDR Offy build sticks also.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-img_2447-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I found that micro-files work really good too. I have a few that come to a point on the end for getting into tight places. I have also found that moving them side to side cuts just as good as moving them back and forth does.

One thing I don't recommend using is the scotch-bright pads that are round and made for a dremel Another TDR Offy build tool.......... Man........that thing takes off some material quick!!!!!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    I found that micro-files work really good too. I have a few that come to a point on the end for getting into tight places. I have also found that moving them side to side cuts just as good as moving them back and forth does.

One thing I don't recommend using is the scotch-bright pads that are round and made for a dremel tool.......... Man........that thing takes off some material quick!!!!!
    Miniature rifflers make a good companion to the mini files. They can get into some tight places.

Here's a place with really reasonable prices:
    Widget Supply
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Wonder what a "riffler" is?
    Went to the site and saw that it was filled with handy tools for this type work but could not find a "riffler".
    I did see why you retired dentists have it all over us desk jockeys when it comes to modeling. The amount of dental carving tools available on that site is staggering.

Another TDR Offy build
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post

One thing I don't recommend using is the scotch-bright pads that are round and made for a dremel Another TDR Offy build tool.......... Man........that thing takes off some material quick!!!!!

I found that out kind of quick before I destroyed my engine. I'm sticking with the soft wire wheels.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    I did see why you retired dentists have it all over us desk jockeys when it comes to modeling. The amount of dental carving tools available on that site is staggering.

I took a good look at all of the dental instruments and I can safely say you really don't need a whole bunch of them. Believe it or not, I didn't use a lot of them when I was in practice and they're not all dental picks Another TDR Offy build . Some of the spatulas and wax instruments are fairly valuable but there are a number of substitues you can get. One of the best ways to get some of the instruments is to check with your own dentist and see if he has any broken instruments. He's only going to throw them away or use them for his own models if that's what he does. I have a bunch of instruments where one end has broken off but the other end is perfectly fine. They'll work just as well. If anyone really wants some pictures and a list of some of the dental instruments that I use and are very valuable, let me know and I'll post some.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Hey HFC,

I used one dental tool called a Discoid-Cleoid 3-6 I think, and it was about $12. Does that ring a bell? I can't trust my memory too well on that kind of stuff any more. Good for modeling wax or hydrostone. I used and abused a number of them in my time. Didn't use the picks Another TDR Offy build much. Weren't there some with a little curved scraper ends on them? I always wondered what other tools might be usefull for modeling. Thanks -Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Gary. The discoid cleoid is the instrument I use the most. Sometimes I use wax as a filler and that instrument cleans up a joint in no time. I actually have 2 sizes, one large and one small. The little curved scrapers are called curettes and for me, they have limited use. I'll take a few pictures of my favorite instruments and describe their uses.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    Wonder what a "riffler" is?
    Went to the site and saw that it was filled with handy tools for this type work but could not find a "riffler".
    Type "riffler" into the search box on the home page and they'll come up.
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks Bob - bought a complete set of needle files and rifflers for an astounding low price at that site.

I was not going to post any more on this thread until I finished building a second Offy now that I have had a learning experience dealing with this material (I have ordered a second model because of all its potential.)

I just have to make a last comment while waiting for the new model. The dimensions of everything being perfect has been stated before but here is an example. I wasn't sure how to attack mounting the water pipe to the head while using faux bolts. I drilled the water pipe before sanding Another TDR Offy build to try to fit the exact hole placement before losing the indentations provided. Then I drilled the hole representations left in the head using a drill size approximating the bolt shaft. Of course I could have drilled the "head" hole oversize but I wanted to see how well the dimensions held.

I dry fitted the water pipe to the head after painting the pipe and darned if the holes didn't line up. This gives me further encouragement to build a final model with the surface detail I think this model technique can provide.

Another TDR Offy build
    Attached Images Attached Images Another TDR Offy build-img_2440-jpg  Another TDR Offy build-head-water-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Way to go Syd. Looks like you are getting more comfortable working with this new stuff. There's just no substitute for hands on experience.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Somewhere on one of the threads regarding this new RP Another TDR Offy build material someone mentioned painting with thin CA glue Another TDR Offy build to harden the surface. Can they provide more detail?

Was the application of thin CA just to harden the surface or can it soak into the body of the material to give it more strength?

Is the powder binder soft enough that the surface could use a coating of CA or paint or what have before working?

Another TDR Offy build
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #31