Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-07-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This is a re write of the original build I did when my computer went kaflooey. Iíve eliminated the first thread and substituted this one with the photos. Hope this helps some of you guys to choose whether or not to build this one.

Photo #1 shows the kit box top and the original color of the kit parts. The box stock The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed build looks pretty good but it could use a little sparkle. Therefore this build shows how to make a good box stock The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed model more unique and more superdetailed without resorting to the extreme detailism weíre familiar with. No special expensive equipment or supplies are needed that you canít easily get at your LHS The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed or the SMC parts store. There is still a lot more detailing that could be done here but in the long run, I think it would make it look overdone and much of the detail will get lost in the composition. This is a good case where less is more.

The first thing I did was to cement the block halves together. Since they're diecast, you cannot use styrene The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed cement and because there are only three points of attachment between the two halves, I wouldn't even use CA. Photo#2. I feel it is too unpredictable and possibly too weak for the usual block handling during the build. I would use either Locktite metal cement or JB Weld. See Photo #3. I used the Locktite metal repair which worked beautifully and filled well where it was needed. Once the block was set and stable, I decided to change the color to the more familiar stock dark green. I did see pictures of the block painted in several other colors including green, blue and red but the green seemed to be the most common. I used Krylon Hunter Green over Krylon primer The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed and treated the surface with a bit of texture to simulate the sand The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed casting The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed . After the paint was dry, I simply held the rattlecan about 2-3 feet away from the part to get the orange peel The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed effect. Photo #4 shows the final result. A most important consideration here is you need to sand The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed down the block so the new paint can get a bite into the original type of paint which is I havenít got the vaguest idea. Itís actually best to remove all the original paint throughout the build but thatís just too dang much work. Make sure you scrub the parts well before painting and use thin mist and color coats. The original finish may interact with the solvent in the Krylon if youíre too much in a rush or spray too thick. Itíll result in a lot of fisheyes. Youíll then have to strip the part and respray.

Next, the valve covers had to be dealt with. I removed the molded lug nuts and drilled them for a 1-72 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed , 1/4 inch long bolt. The bolts were inserted from the reverse side of the part and 1-72 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed nuts were lightly tightened over them. You'll have to do a little cutting on the inside of the cover to make room for the bolt heads to go all the way in but thatís not extensive. Photo#5 and 6. If you have a 1-72 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed die, you can tap a piece of 1/16 inch thick brass rod, tap the hole with the same diameter then you wonít have to modify the covers.

One big disadvantage of this kit is that the valve covers are done in two pieces. You have the main part and then the water port. See Photo#7. At first, I used regular styrene The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed cement like the instructions said after I scraped the paint off the gluing The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed surfaces but it didn't stick well at all. That leads me to believe the plastic may be a lesser quality styrene The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed than we're used to. I reglued them on with epoxy The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed and then sanded them down before painting. The excess epoxy The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed was used as the filler. Also, the two little spouts off of the main water port were incorrectly shaped. I reshaped them and drilled them out to look more realistic. I may do some "dirtying" of the bolts to make them look a bit more weathered, but that decision will be made later on. Photo#8. Hereís what the cover looks like after painting and addition of the 1-72 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed nuts. Photo#9.

I also started to fiddle around with the exhaust manifolds. The edges were a bit rough and there were several torn areas where someone casually ripped the parts off of their sprues. Also, the manifolds are not solid which is hard to see when they're tried on. Itís not much of a problem but if you want them closed, add a thin piece of styrene The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed like you would box a frame and then gently smooth the edge off. When the exhausts are repainted darker and more textured, they'll look like they should.

The intake manifold was repainted Model Masterís buffing Stainless Steel to give the model a little contrast. I used 0-80 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed bolt heads and cemented the manifold. Photo #10. The front of the engine could also use a few bolts as shown.

The starter and the generator will be next. I cemented the parts with the epoxy The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed , smoothed out seams, painted the starter flat black and the generator gloss black. The rest of the black parts are the original finish which is pretty good. I then added a few wires, one for the starter and two for the 3 for the generator. Photo #11 and #12 show how they look after cementation. The starter bolt was done by taking a long 00-90 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed bolt, cutting off the head, drilling a hole in the starter, threading or cementing the headless bolt, adding a thin wire and screwing down a 00-90 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed nut over the whole thing. The generator was done by drilling 3 00-90 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed holes and threading in two hex headed bolts, thin wires and a 00-90 The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed screw in the third hole. Finally, you can drill 3 holes into the base of the model and thread the wires into the base for a nice and neat wore solution. Photo #13.

For a bit more contrast, I changed the black spark plug wires to green. You can use any color wires you want here. The last couple of pictures were taking of the finished model. The rest of the wiring and plumbing The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed were straight out of the kit.

Well gang, that's it for this episode of the HFC Model Improvement show.. In the mean time, have a great modeling day and don't forget to visit our sponsor, SMC, the best in quality auto parts.

Build Photos

The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat1-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat3-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat4-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat2-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat5-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat7-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat8-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat6-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat9-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat10-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here are the rest of the photos.

The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed
    Attached Images Attached Images The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat11-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat16-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat17-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat13-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat14-jpg  The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed-flat15-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 04-07-09 at 06:47 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. thanks for the information; it has prompted me to order one of these kits. i think it will help me greatly understand the workings of the engine for all of my modeling projects.

any chance you could post a single photo with something in the picture to give an idea of the size of the completed engine?

and what would be a good way to finish the back (flywheel?) of the engine. no, i won't attempt a scratchbuilt transmission without a tutorial....

thanks again
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey south pier. I'm glad to see you ordered one of the kits. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I ought to contact Hawk and get them to give me a commission. HO HO. If you find some difficulty or come up against a problem, don't hesitate to ask me. I wrestled with the kit and it almost won but I managed to get it to submit. I'll go ahead and take a good shot of it with something in the background for you. It's 4 times the size of a 1/24 scale engine if that helps somewhat. It's a good size but I originally wanted the 1/4 scale kit from Lindberg. I haven't been able to find one yet.

As far as the back of the engine, one thing you can do to finish it off is to weather the flywheel to look like you just pulled the tranny off the thing. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I decided to leave the engine clean and do the weathering The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed later on with the engine assembled. We've got a few tutorials on weathering The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed but if you run into trouble, just ask and we'll get you the info. We've got a few weathering The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed experts on the site who'll be more than happy to help.

Welcome to the site. Enjoy.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. RonOC's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ron
    Hey Hot The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed Ford, them ain't valve covers, they're cylinder heads.

The valves are in the block.

Great job!

Ron
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Ron, do they not cover the valves? Perhaps Jeff should have said piston covers....
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. RonOC's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ron
    Found this site for info on the Ford Flathead engine.

Flathead Specifications: 1938 to 48 V8

Ron
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Valve covers and heads. I never seem to get those two terms right. Let's just call them the flat things with all the nuts and bolts.

Well, not only have I made the mistake of not knowing valve covers from my heads, I also made a huge boo boo in my color choice. The 1948 Ford WAS dark blue and not dark green. It was the 1949 Merc engine that was dark green. To all those who pride themselves on the accuracy of models, including myself, I apologize deeply. Thanks Guido for sending me that page on the flathead. That's where I discovered my boo boo. Now that that's over, I feel better. I think I'm going to build something this afternoon. Ah nertz, I like the green better than the blue anyhow. Nany nany boo boo.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Long as you're havin' fun......some guys build for dead nut accuracy and scale while others just put 'em together and grin. If it works for you.......mission accomplished and well done.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Don. Glad you like the engine. To me, the engine looks a lot better in the green along with the brass nuts and bolts. It tends to give it the old classic look. Besides,my the finish looks a lot more authentic than the kit finish. The black parts in the kit however had a fantastic finish. The big air cleaner looks great the way it is. Some other parts had to be resprayed to cover up the seams. Other than that, the kit went together really well.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. RonOC's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ron
    Who's Guido?

Ron
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Ron. Guido is Deuces-Wild. He's one of our moderators. He's the one that sent me the info on the engine colors.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Here's a little something for you flathead guys... Maybe you could get the TDR The 1/6 Hawk 48 Ford Flathead - Built and Detailed guys to whip one up in 1/6 scale to dress up the Hawk kit. H And H Flatheads Blower Components Photo..... I forgot to mention that Dan has the molds to produce the S.Co.T blower kit in 1/8 scale for R-M Deuce roadster kit. If you ring his bell, he might be able to set you guys up with one. Whew!!... Now I can work on my kit without looking over my shoulder.
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 09-04-09 at 11:40 PM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    One of those would look great on the Hawk model.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. NES's Avatar Active Member
    im a big ford fan and this is one sweet rocket bud, great job.......stormin Norman.....
    REAL RACE CARS DON'T HAVE DOORS $$**$$
    QUOTE QUOTE #15