Close

Builder Last Online: Nov 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-25-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

In cooperation with a good friend of mine i will start these Days this new project.

We were both big fans of Boyd Coddington and his great work, so we decide to buy this Car on Ebay NIB and never opened for 22 Years to honor him in a model car:

Its a 1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible, we want to make it in a smooth light custom look, maybe we decide to build a roof and made a coupe, but thats not decided at the moment.

It is a nice model, the look is very realistic, but there is al lot to do to turn it into a custom model.

Here are some pics out of the box.

This car is never gonne be used as a racing car, so we will take front and rear suspension, the Drive Shaft and the motor to move it into the Chevy, we want functional Steering and suspension, lower the car and smaller the wide of the axles.

After some minutes looking at the model car, i start to do something on it, i just could not wait any longer, and so i lower the front to become inspiration and a view of the thing we want to to, and how extrem we do.

After some minutes of working and cutting out some parts it looks lie this...;)

So we will see in the next days how it comes out and what we do first.

Hope you enjoy this build.

Thorsten
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. misster.ti's Avatar Active Member
    Today i work some hours on the Chevy, i install front and rear axle.

So its gettin lower and lower....:)

I cut the 1/10 chassis in two pieces, so i can put it seperate into the chevy chassis.
    After that i cut the parts out of the chevy chassis an mount the front and rear axle to test if they will fit and and run. And by the way it has to lower the chevy.

The front axle also became the steering servo. I took 1/10 Scale rims for test, the tires are from a 1/8 scale Deuce Kit.

Then i start assembling the engine. Im not sure if it will work, but the engine with all his parts should cover the rc parts.

Thats it for today, the battery and the other rc parts i will install in the trunk and under the rear seats.

Thorsten

1957 Chevy Bel Air Custom
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'm having a ball just watching you tackle the Barbie on it's way to another incredible Thorsten model.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 12-02-08 at 05:34 AM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Once again you are doing some amazing work Thorsten. Hope you don't mind a comment.........I was looking at the side view and I think it would really clean up the lines if you laid back windshield. Of course, if you are going to put a roof on the car, you could include the laid back windshield in that modification.

You're off to a great start and I really like how you incorporate the RC stuff in your models. When its finished, keep it away from Rich.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I found one of those last year. It looks like you're the spearhead on this one Thorsten. I'll be following this one to see how to fix mine up. So far so good.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. misster.ti's Avatar Active Member
    lets go further...

Now i start with the bodywork, i want to have a mild custom look, so i clean the body and doors.

I want open Hood, doors and Trunk, and all RC Components should be installed were no one could see it..

Some pics from today:

The room for the engine gets a firewall and some walls on the left and right side. Even the Motor grows up a little bit. And i start to build the water cooling system.

Some pics from the engine and the next steps in a few days...

Thorsten

1957 Chevy Bel Air Custom
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great work, Thorsten. Make sure you document this one. I have the same car in the basement waiting for its turn on the bench. I need to know how it's done.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8