Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-10-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

1. Allison V-12 (being tweaked for production)
      2. Offy (headed for prototype)
      3. 1/6th Muncie trans (finishing and production)

Not too shabby Huh?
      Looks like our mixing of old & new school thinking is a winner......if you put it in perspective these projects were started just a few months ago. Using my old timer skills I'm still working on my (secret project) from 3 years ago. Guess you can teach an old dog a thing or two.
      The stuff Tim does is all magic to me. Sooner or later I'll find Mario's secret to all those little fussy things he does. In the meantime....run your orbs over this computer model for a bit....Tim would you post the old school modified stocker? I'm having trouble finding it in all this Vista poo. Gang enlarge this full race version of the 392 and check it out......yeah I know there are a few available out there, I think we can do a little better....nice model, yes?

Build Photos

Elephant-hemi-blwn-mat-1-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh yeah!!! Now we're cookin' with nitro. The new technology really shows its worth. There definitely is a place for it in the hobby.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Looks great, do it sooooonist. Really want a copy.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thats the type of feedback we like to here Shel! We're also thinking of doing this one in a dual four version.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hey guys, this is the variations of the 392 I was able to find.

This model is from the same guy that did the Offy so I do not expect any major problems with this model. So figure on the same time frame to get it to the prototyper, probably 3 to 4 weeks once we light a fire under this one.

This one has lots of options that we could play with!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Elephant-hemi-signle-carb-3-jpg  Elephant-hemi-singel-carb-2-jpg  Elephant-hemi-single-carb-jpg  Elephant-stromberg-hemi-2-jpg  Elephant-stromberg-hemi-3-jpg  Elephant-stromberg-hemi-jpg 
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    How about an injected version Tim?
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Merlin's Avatar Active Member
    Don, your posted image is exactly what I'm looking for. The other intake options would be a welcome addition to the 1/8th comunity also. We are watching with much antisipation on the future of these projects, keep up the great work you guys!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How about an injected version Tim?
    Well, let's see. We do have the injectors from the Offy. I would imagine that they should work.

It would seem to me that all that would be needed is an custom intake manfold on each side of the block to mount one bank of injectors on each side.

I hope everyone realizes how this type of stuff snowballs. As we begin to build a library of 3D computer parts, we can begin to mix parts. Sometimes it could be a direct swap, that you guys can do, or sometimes it may take a little custom pixel twisting, that is were my talents come in. The pixel twisting would not take much time at all because I would have both parts that I have to mate up to, the injector and 392 head, already in the electronic library. So there is no measuring or guessing, if it looks right in the comuter it should look right in resin Elephant .

We are at the very beginning of building this library so our main focus at the time is to get the meat and taters out there. After we have a good solid 3D library established then comes the components that will allow us to mix the parts in our library across different engines.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Hey Guys. Man, I love them 392 HEMI pics! Those gave me the idea of the old Monogram 1/8 scale parts packs. The stocker looks fantabulous!!! . All the other induction setups could be sold in the parts packs. Just think of those as upgrade kits... With a part#
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Slyy77's Avatar Active Member
    WOW!!! I feel like a kid again.

I've been building for about 30 years, although for the last 10 or so I haven't been doing all that much. I recently got back into it again, but I still just kinda fiddle with them. Call it burnout or whatever, there just hasn't been anything to really get me motivated. Now, there's a LOT to get excited about. With the new bodies and now all the new engines coming out, I've had so many ideas pop in my head on what I want to do and how I want to do it I feel like a kid in a candy store. AMAZING work guys, All of you.

As for the 392, that's got me the most excited. My thoughts on it would be:

*Full engine kit. (Stock engine, or least mild street custom, so it can be built ready to go out of box. No other purchace necessary. Single carb manifold and/or possibly a 2x4 intake with carbs included. Yeah, it may bring the price up for the basic kit, but you'll have everything that you need).

*Basic Kit. (Same as above, without intake. Various intakes could be offered seperately, or can be fabricated by the builder as he or she wanted to.

*Dry sump oiler conversion. (If the basic kit is done with the oil pan seperate from the block, A conversion kit would be nice way to go).

*Blower Kit. (Case, pulleys, idler/tensioner, all the basics. Add in a the injection setup with an optional carb plate to run the two 4's that would already be in the engine kit if the builder wanted to go that route). Maybe the blower kit can be done with a bottom plate that can be adapted to any stock manifold. That way it could be used with the various small block Chevy's, Pontiac, the Hemi and any other engine that comes into play. There's already a 471 GMC available for the Flattie.

The list can go on and on, but I won't.

Thank You to SMC and EVERYONE involved.
    Kevin.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Kevin, Slyy77, many thanks for the warm and fuzzy kudos it's greatly appreciated. A pat on the head for the staff and moderators from time to time is good for the soul and encourages us to try even harder to give you guys what want.

Gang this engine is going to happen.....no comment needed!

There are a gazillion different ways to build this thing and I knew when I lit this candle it would raise a few of your eyebrows.
    Tim brought up some very good points in his posts. He tends to look down the road and say sure we can.
    He's right!
    Like everyone else, if I couldn't kit bash or scratch build Elephant it......only option was to wait for R/M or someone to fulfil our wish list...yeah right, not in my lifetime!
    So here it is in a nutshell....the Hemi is the KING and as I mentioned before there are a few floating around out there.
    Let's kick this off by starting with the basic 392 circa '58 or around there in 2 versions......old school 2 four barrel De Soto/Chrysler hot Elephant rod engine and a full boat race only with blower. We're having to dig deep in our pockets for this one gang so let's get it right the first go around. I'm not saying you get all of the above including stuff you don't need to build one or the other......two separate kits! Dan will be able to use the same block etc. but I see no reason for you guys to have to pay for parts you don't want. Somebody has to count the beans.

If we add a few trans kits as we go along you'll be able to order your engine with the parts to set it up your way at an affordable price...think I heard that somewhere.
    So if you don't get your wish list it's because you didn't speak up!

Elephant
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-12-08 at 07:24 AM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Time for me to dig up some pics of old school after market goodies for the 392 and post them here if it's ok with you guys.. The heck with the candle.. Let's say we light a bonfire under this thing and see what happens! A'/
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 06-14-08 at 03:38 AM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Here's another view of the race version....

Elephant
    Attached Images Attached Images Elephant-hemi2-jpg 
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Cool pic Don. Here's a site I post elsewhere a while back. It has a bunch of pics of blower parts, carb adaptors, etc. Nice stuff here! Check it out. www.hothemiheads.com
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The 426 hemi and the 392 hemi that we are talking about here are two different motors, right?

If the 426 is different, does the 1/8th scale modeling world have a 426 hemi?

Just wondering.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15