Close

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Offy

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Big Al is on Dan's workbench for production, the 1/6th Muncie prototype is done and on it's way through the scrutiny process and the Offy is just about ready to be sent out for an ABS prototype........Tim has been a busy boy. By combining old and new school techniques we've managed to cut labor and production time down to a minimum.....good stuff!

Tim will jump in here and give you guys all the details about the Offy. Hot Offy Diggity Dog......an Allison, a 1/6th Muncie and an Offy with a butt kickin' 392 on the way. Huge thanks to Rick for helping off set prototype costs and to Tim and MF for all their expertise and time.....way to go guys!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Ok guys, Don asked me to post up some pics of the Offy. I think I am down to the point of adding small details like relief cuts, cast in letters, fillets,....... I am going to add the nuts and bolts at the very end.

We are planning on using the rapid prototype process on this model. Which means the prototype could be complete and in our caster's hands in less than two weeks. Then it is up to him to finish out the surfaces and cast the molds.

[B]So if anyone sees anything that aint right or details that are omitted, please speak up now!![/B] It is a lot easier to add the details now rather than later.

But understand that there were probably 30 different versions of this engine over its 50 year run. On top of that each and every racer probably modified their's from "stock".

I am working up a different set of valve covers too. I have the double bolted valve cover shown here, but I am developing the single bolted valve cover also.

I do not have a real good pic of the fuelpump that some people ran off of the cam. If someone has a good pic of one I will try and work something up to include with this model.

Well that is about it for now.

Enjoy the eye candy.
    Attached Images Attached Images Offy-exp_iso-jpg  Offy-exp_iso_2-jpg  Offy-exp_iso_3-jpg  Offy-exp_iso_4-jpg  Offy-offy_iso-jpg  Offy-offy_iso_2-jpg  Offy-offy_iso_3-jpg  Offy-offy_top-jpg  Offy-offy_back-jpg  Offy-offy_exh_side-jpg  Offy-offy_front-jpg  Offy-offy_injector_side-jpg 
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    So what you think guys? You only get one chance to respond before it's a done deal......you wanted new engines so let's get 'em "right" out of the gate, your input makes a difference!

Offy
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Well I am probably showing my ignorance here but all my reference photos show the exhaust and carburetors on reversed sides. Other than that the images show a great model in the future. I knew I couldn't afford the GMC version but maybe this one will be cheaper.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    all my reference photos show the exhaust and carburetors on reversed sides.

I read somewhere that the engines could be ordered in either setup to suit the racer's needs.

This brings up a good point though.

You could easily reverse the setup on this model by simply grinding off the alignment pins on the injectors and exhaust headers EXCEPT that the exhaust header has a slight "kink" in the individual primary tubes. Look at the front and back view pictures and you will see what I mean.

It may be worth recreating the exhaust header so there is no "kink" in it and make sure the alignment pins are identical on both the injectors and exhaust. This will make this engine have a reversiable setup.

What do you guys think?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    That sounds like a great idea to me Tim......as you said there were a number of different versions.....let's give it a day or two to see what the rest of the guys think, Syd will be watching.

Offy
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    This is the GMP model.

Offy
    Attached Images Attached Images Offy-gmp7503_2-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Iím not sure how itís designed, but maybe if locating pins could be made in the same spot for the exhaust and the carburetors? That would make it easy to switch sides.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Iím not sure how itís designed, but maybe if locating pins could be made in the same spot for the exhaust and the carburetors? That would make it easy to switch sides.

My thoughts exactly.

Also I was thinking that if I cut the primary tubes at the "kink" thereby making the exhast header two pieces, you can then just flip the collector portion of the header to set it up for the opposite side. This would let you keep the "kink" no matter which side you have the header on.

This would mean you would have to finish out the seams on the 4 primary tubes though.

If you would rather not finish out this seam, then I would have to make a new header that has no "kink" in it at all. But you would not have that "level" look to the header just as the primaries merge into the collector portion.

Which would you guys rather have?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Not sure there. If both are accurate, then whatever would be the easiest to use and the most inexpensive to produce to keep costs down, if only one way is accurate, and the accurate way would be the best way to go.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    That engine would either be good as a stand alone model or in a 32 ford.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Just off the top of my head. What about a Left hand head and a Right hand head. The rest being interchangeable with those cool locater pins. Just a thought.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Unfortunately my knowledge of Offys is pretty weak. The most important thing here is accuracy. Which way is the most commonly found? That's the one I would go with.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Honestly, I don't think there is a right or wrong. This was never a "production" engine. It was alsways just used in car and boat racing and you know racers......they always change things.

There is no need for a right or left head.......as a matter of fact there was no "head" on this engine. That is what helped it survive the turbocharger days. The head and cylinders are all cast as one solid piece of aluminium. That is why they were able to run 50 lbs of boost....... no head gasket to blow!!!

So I guess they just machined up the head to have the proper port and valve setup to what ever side of the engine you wanted.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Ok, here is what I propose as a way of having a reversible injector/exh. header arrangement.

I can make 1 manifold flange section (the blue part) that can be used on either side of the block/head. I then create 2 collector sections, one right (red part) and one left (yellow part).

The injectors are already reversible.

This arrangement will have some advantages and disavantages.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images Offy-2-exhaust-manifolds-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15